Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Trujillo_domi   KrazyKelli   Lizards and more   Trujillo_domi  
 Member  Message

Trujillo_domi
View Profile

New leo with old leo problem

I just bought another leo and I just put her in the cage with my other leo Jax, and Jax started rattling her tail in irritation and putting her head down what should I do? Will they be okay in a cage together Jax is smaller then her but its not a big difference and they are both girls.

Thats my first Leopard Gecko Jax

And this is my new leopard Gecko

08/14/11  08:06pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Trujillo_domi   In reference to Message Id: 2232845

Are you sure both are female? Rattling of the tail is typically a mating response from a male to see if the other is male or female. I would separate them ASAP to prevent any possible major fighting and unnecessary bloodshed. It may also be a hot female, which are overly territorial and aggressive on their own.

Besides that, you’re supposed to quarantine new leos for 90 days + a vet visit. There are diseases out there like Crypto that take time to show (such as a two month delay) and, when it rears its ugly head, wipe out your entire reptile collection. There are also parasites and other infections.

08/14/11  09:10pm

Lizards and more
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2232853

Jax may be defending her territory. You are supposed to put both of them in completely different surroundings so one doesn’t have a territory and KrazyKelli is right

08/17/11  03:50pm

Trujillo_domi
View Profile

Message To: Lizards and more   In reference to Message Id: 2233129

Wow thanks I a lot! I didn’t realize any of this! After that day they got along fine but I will definitely separate them immediately!

08/18/11  10:41pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area