Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

HelpRingo   Cphill58   HelpRingo   Cphill58   HelpRingo   Cphill58   HelpRingo   Dragon Lover   HelpRingo   Cphill58   HelpRingo   Lovetheleo   HelpRingo   Cphill58   RepticTay   HelpRingo   RepticTay   HelpRingo   Posted5  
 Member  Message

HelpRingo
View Profile

Need more advice

i posted on another forum about this and got some good tips but id like some tips from some new people to see if theres any more helpful advice i can get.

i have a new juvenile leo that i got from the petstore. he was in kinda bad shape when i got him but hes eating now and acting fine for the most part. he was pooping regularly like every day or every other day.

the problem is that i was feeding him just a couple small mealies when he was pooping but he kinda lost interest in them. i switched to crickets and he loves them, but since then he hasnt been pooping. its been about a week and hes only pooped once and it wasnt very big. he still has a very good appetite and always wants to eat, but hes not pooping and it looks like he might be impacted from over eating or something.

the crickets are very small, and the first day i fed them to him he ate like 5 or 6 before i stopped giving them to him. i heard to keep offering them till they dont want anymore but i feel like hed never stop. the second day was the same thing so i started giving him only 1 or 2 a day because its been days since hes pooped and looks clogged.

ITS NOT FROM SAND, i have him on repti carpet which is always kept clean and i have fresh water, a humid hide, a warm hide and a cool hide. i have a UTH and the ground temps are about 90 but sometimes get higher so im getting a dimmer to keep it under control.

im confused though because normally with impaction they wont want to eat but he acts fine. hell always want more, hes not slow or anything. he just hasnt pooped and his a bluish mark in his belly. did he over eat? how do i fix it?

ive been giving him warm baths, giving him drops of olive oil on his mouth to lick up, doing my best to give him belly rubs, and misting every so often to make sure hes hydrated. i cant tell if hes drinking or not but ive been making sure the waters fresh.

heres a picture of him. hes less than 6 months, but im, not sure exactly how old. also could you help me with the morph? or is it too early to tell cuz im sure he doesnt have his full adult pattern yet. idk know, im new to this.

01/15/11  12:55pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2198523

Need more advice

At the hot side allow temps to be hotter...100-105F ...they can and will use this area to digest properly...if they don’t like it they can move off ....offer plenty of hides so they can thermo regulate.

Cp

01/16/11  03:14pm

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2198743

Need more advice

i tried that, i bought a new heat lamp and the temps were right around there and he seemed way too hot and dehydrated so he just stayed completely away from the hot side which was making it worse because he wasnt getting like any heat to digest. the temps are fine now.

im pretty sure he got all clogged because he ate too many crickets at once and they were hard for him digest. he pooped again last night so thats a good sign. im gonna give him another soak and belly rub tonight and give him a couple drops of olive oil when i feed him and im only gonna give him like 1 or 2 crickets a night or every other day until he clears up more.

01/16/11  04:35pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2198769

Need more advice

I prefer belly heat for these guys...an 8 watt UTH is all I use and the tank is dark at night. During the day they hide mostly ...what do you do for heat at night ???

Sounds like he is doing better...best of luck to you .

Cp

01/17/11  02:54am

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2198890

Need more advice

i dim my UTH a little bit but keep the lamp on cuz it keeps his rock warm on top and he likes to lay on it. i can tell hes like trying to go sometimes but only the white part comes out.

01/17/11  09:38am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2198909

Need more advice

The white stuff is urine, with reptiles we call it urates. A normal adult Gecko should eat anywhere from 10 -12 crickets easily...per night. I have a rescue and it was skinnier than yours ...he eats at least 8 crickets per night. And he is growing nice and plump. You need to feed it all it wants and then just let nature take it’s course ...it will poop.! It doesn’t need a baby sitter, it needs a food giver.

I have never had an impaction from eating ..concerning any of the geckos or bearded dragons...or any lizard I care for.

What color is the night/ day heat light ... You need to use the UTH on high and turn off the light ...I think it is messing with his sleeping and digesting patterns. My small UTH cranks out 117F to the glass...after that it mellows some with the repti carpet...I also use a dimmer in the summer...I make them from electrical parts at Home depot.

What do you measure the temps with ...a digital indoor outdoor thermometer would be about 8-12.00 and give you very accurate temps using the probe. If you need a picture of these I will post a link...
if you are using dial guages they are junk ...as well as the stick on tape for fish.
I have so many enclosures I finally bought one of these for 30.00...man is this a life saver.

The morph you have , I am not sure ...looks nice though.

Cp

01/18/11  12:26am

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2199092

Need more advice

like i said though hes only like 4 months old.

01/18/11  09:50am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2199138

Need more advice

Hi,

I agree, especially at four months old....you need to feed it all it will eat. It will stop eating when it is full. If there is hardly anything in his stomach, he won’t be pooping much.

Geckos, like mentioned above, get their heat from the belly. You want to give him something that he can lay on that is warm, like a Under Tank Heater, so he can digest his food.

With the proper size crickets, he will eat at least 8 to 10 a night.

Edel

01/19/11  03:12pm

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2199464

Need more advice

did you guys like not read what i wrote. i had a UTH and the temp is 90 on the ground. he was pooping fine until i fed him 5 small gutloaded crickets and 5 the next night and now hes having trouble pooping. clearly the whole eat till they stop thing doesnt work because hes all clogged from the crickets. his temps are fine. im not about to feed him 10 crickets a night when hes already having trouble pooping. he gets fed every day but a smaller amount now and hes still only pooping a little like every 4 days and looks dark in his upper belly.

01/19/11  05:34pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2199507

Need more advice

Yes I read ... and I disagree to a point, but you are the one there with him I can only offer advise from where I sit. I mentioned raising the temps a bit you countered. I asked what type of light and you never answered? It seems like you already know what to do and you are not open to suggestion.

If you are worried about impaction a drop of oil on his lips lapped up will do some good ...baby mineral oil or olive oil... 3x per week should do it until it poops ...it acts as a laxative. It is perfectly safe. Also some baby food squash or pumpkin/prunes can work as a laxative too. Just smear a dash on his face / nose so it can lick it off.

Good Luck,

Cp

01/20/11  02:00pm

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2199705

Need more advice

temps are already between 90-95. when they were higher he was acting worse and dehydrated so i brought them down. i have a blue 100 watt night light that keeps the air temp around 82. i use olive oil, warm soaks, belly rubs, and a critical care formula to keep him as healthy as i can while hes on the lowered diet but hes still having trouble.

01/20/11  03:19pm

Lovetheleo
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2199747

Need more advice

they are telling you 90-95 is fine and in fact you can raise it more and he will be fine

if anything foodwise would cause impaction it would be mealworms not crickets as mealworms have a harder shell and are not as easily digested as crickets are.

so keep the uth temp up and use a light if you want during the day and turn it off at night

if anything i think you are doing too much with him he is just a baby and all the messing (oil,soaks, belly rubs, force feeding the critical care) is too much for him

just give him a few drops of the oil feed as much as he wants in 15 min once a day and he will poop. the less food you put in the less will come out other than that just leave him alone to do his thing the more you mess the more he will be stressed out

if you are only feeding him 2-3 crickets a day no wonder he isnt pooping b/c he isnt getting enough food to poop anything another reason he might be pooping less with the crickets is b/c the crickets have less undigestable materials to he would get more from the crickets than the mealworms b/c they are a softer more meaty food

and if he does better on mealworms why not switch him back to feeding mealworms?

01/20/11  06:01pm

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: Lovetheleo   In reference to Message Id: 2199806

Need more advice

he totally lost interest in the mealworms but i keep some in a bowl in the tank at all times in case he does get hungry but he never touches them. and i dont raise the temps higher because like i said when i did have them higher he was acting all weird and looked dehydrated and then started acting normal again as soon as i brought it back down.

he pooped again last night after i soaked him and rubbed his belly that day but it was small. hes been eating about 3 a day lately along with a little bit of the critical care formula to keep up his health. i guess it would make sense that his poops are small cuz hes not eating that much but at the same time his poops were bigger and more often when he was eating mealworms but he ate wayy less of them and less often because he doesnt have much interest in them.

01/22/11  09:57am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2200251

Need more advice

I had some carnivore care given to me one time , isn’t that the stuff that you mix with water...a powder in a foil bag sold by vets???

I thought it was mentioned on the fine print on the back of the package that you had to add extra hydration for the animal. Due to it’s powder make up and all the vitamins and nutrients ...it was a long time ago.

I just googled CC for reptiles ...sorry I was mistaken, different ...but comparable.

I am hard pressed to understand if the temps were higher on one side and you have multiple hides, why didn’t the lizard just move as mine often do...

well still wishing you the best

Cp

01/22/11  06:30pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2200342

Need more advice

although the leo wasnt doing his biz when being fed more foods, but it is very unhealthy not to offer as much as he can eat. switching his diet from mealworms to crickets could of easily made him constipate. Mealworms are harder to digest than what crickets are.

If you are gunna only feed the gecko 1-2 crickets a night or day, then the gecko is never gunna proper weight and may even get some form of bone problems, growth problems and so on due to not being fed properly.

you really cannot let a leo live off 2 crickets a day.

My youngest who was only a month when i got her, she was in bad shape when i first got her. I fed her mealies for awhile, then she got bored so moved on to locusts. She didnt poop for 3 weeks straight but she still ate around 8-10 locusts a day. after that she was pooping regular and the older she got the more she was eating. now shes a gorgeous large female blizzard who is healthy and weighing in at 52g. perfect weight.

02/11/11  09:44am

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 2204295

Need more advice

i took him to the vet a while ago and he said that what i was doing was good for a short period of time to help him pass it. it worked, and now hes pooping normally and he eats about 4 crickets in the morning and 4 at night.

02/11/11  10:17am

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2204311

Need more advice

glad he is eating more. however i would try and regulate feeding times between evening and nights only. with leos being usually nocturnal - which is when they digest foods much better than morning feeds.

02/14/11  11:57am

HelpRingo
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 2204900

Need more advice

yup i definitely will. the vet suggested to try for now doing it twice a day to see if hell be able to hold more down since he only seems to be interested in a few at a time but ive noticed hes a lot more interested in food at night around 10. so ill get there. if i feed him more than like 6 at once hell puke it up :/ theyre small but i mean some of them are bigger than others but im working on it.

02/14/11  08:08pm

Posted5
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2204975

Need more advice

Help ringo,how many grams is your gecko?

10/05/11  08:58pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area