Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Charlichickxx   KrazyKelli   Stymie   Jeremy c  
 Member  Message

Charlichickxx
View Profile

Okay... im new, he’s scared...

now, i know its too be expected my leopard gecko is terrified of me, but im wondering what the easiest and most stress free way is to get him used to me? He is 5 months old and i got him from a reptile store 1 week ago. he is happily eating and sleeping and is generally quite active when awake... until i put my hand near the viv. he just hides wherever he can... and even after 15minutes he wouldnt dare to try come explore with my hand steady inside. any help would be great! thanks!

10/04/10  03:28pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Charlichickxx   In reference to Message Id: 2179008

Give him a week to settle in, then go slow. Don’t expect that the leo will instantly enjoy your affection. First put your hand in the tank for 10 to 15 minutes at a time, for a few days, so the leo knows that your hand wont eat it. Then gently stoke the leo with a finger. Do this a few more days. After you’re sure that the leo wont freak out and bolt, or bite you, lay one hand down infront of it and, with your other hand, poke its thigh. It should walk right onto your hand. Don’t grab down at it or rip it out of the tank, as this will terrify the creature and make future attempts to hold a mess.

Also talk while you’re around the tank, especially while feeding. This will help the leo associate that the harmless titan coming into the room will not eat it, and good things happen when you’re around.

A leo juvi will skydive. Don’t go holding it in excessive amounts outside the tank or high in the air. You wont be able to predict it, and they will jump without warning.

10/08/10  04:01pm

Stymie
View Profile

Okay... I’m new, he’s scared...

well , this is what i suggest to you , one thing is for sure , don’t give up! , secondly , i would say .. pet him , and let him get used to your hand.. you cant be scared though ..
- some Leo’s are just that shy type , for example , i just got a new Leo today , she is VERY friendly , already loves to be picked up and played with .. it all depends on the Leo you have.
good luck!!

11/21/10  10:31pm

Jeremy c
View Profile

put you hand close to were hes hiding

05/15/11  03:04pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area