Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Maggie_Mae   Sulfurboy1o3   KrazyKelli   RepticTay   Jeremy c  
 Member  Message

Maggie_Mae
View Profile

They ate sunny????

So remember those bumps I found on sunny? Well i found her dead today with mealworms crawling out of those lumps, i flipped her over and all the mealworms got out and started eating her. Has anybody heard of this? Im switching to waxworms until I find out why they did this...

08/23/10  08:09pm

Sulfurboy1o3
View Profile

Message To: Maggie_Mae   In reference to Message Id: 2171261

They ate sunny????

Crickets and roaches will be a much healthier diet along with the waxies. Thats horrible what happend to you gecko though. never seen it before, but everyone has their stories.

08/24/10  01:45am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Sulfurboy1o3   In reference to Message Id: 2171327

They ate sunny????

You’re misinterpreting what happened. If there were bumps on your leo, it would not have been mealworms. Mealworms are opportunistic larve from the darkling beatle. (Therefore they cannot ’lay eggs’ in something.) Their main diet is grain (which is why they’re such a huge threat for farmers), however they will go after dead, decaying flesh. Not live. Mealworms will also die extremely easily, drowning in a single droplet of water, more or less a leo’s sharp teeth and stomach acids.

What probably happened was that your leo had something else wrong with it, died, then any mealworms you had free-roaming in your tank went over and chewed on first the infected tissue, then the decay. Sometimes you can feed a leo that’s already on death’s door, to the point that their organs are already starting to shut down, and the bugs will escape the second the leo dies. However this is not the case in most matters, since 1. a dieing lizard will refuse to eat. and 2. the stomach acids will instantly kill the mealie - more or less getting chewed on by the lizard.

Crickets will also feast on a rotting corpse, as will roaches. Fact, crickets will chew on your living leos if you leave them to roam the tank freely. The only reason mealworms (and supers) get picked on is because they drill holes into the corpse, opposed to crix and roaches who will go for the skin and eyes first.

Waxworms will kill your lizards. They are all fat and no nutrition, and cause fatty liver disease - which will subsequently shut down the liver and kill the lizard. Too many waxworms will do this. It’s that rush of fat that over-takes the liver, like if all you ate was buckets of lard for lunch. Also causes obesity.

What I’m getting at is don’t blame the visual consequences for the death of your lizard. Find out what did actually kill it. Were there tumors? Mites? Abscesses? I had a lizard that died last year from an abscess on her tail. I had to take her to the vet to get it lanced and drained, but the subsequent shock to her system and suppressed immunities eventually did her in. I also had to deal with the infection in her body as well during that time. Was sad...

08/24/10  12:02pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2171369

They ate sunny????

KrazyKelli has a point - the mealworms did not eat from inside out - they die very easily and the leopard geckos snap from the jaw will 9 times outta 10 kill the mealworm before it goes in the gut, however - if not then the mealworms will die from the stomach acids etc etc.

The leo probably had a few issues from in the first place.

09/14/10  07:15am

Jeremy c
View Profile

Message To: Maggie_Mae   In reference to Message Id: 2171261

They ate sunny????

i would feed them cricket’s

05/15/11  03:00pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area