Leopard Gecko Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Teamgecko   Scrupadumpolus   KrazyKelli   Scrupadumpolus  

Member  Message

Teamgecko
View Profile

Why won’t my leopard gecko eat - help!

"Hercules" came to our home this past September from a family that no longer wanted him. He is our first reptile pet. He’s an approx. 5 yr old adult male and measure about 7.5 inches long. Because his prior family never had any problems, we have kept him in the same set up.

He lives in a 10 gallon tank with about 1.5 inches of calci sand as the substrate. He has a small heat pad on one end and a fake rock type hide on the other end with a reflector lamp above it. The temp in his cage at the hide end is consistent at 85 degrees. He has fresh water and calcium powder available continuously. His main diet is gut loaded meal worms and occasional wax worm treats. He will not eat crickets of any sort! I have never observed him eat any of the calci-sand.

There have been no changes to his diet, set up or temperatures.

Up until last week he appeared healthy with a good appetite, he would come running to the food dish when you took the lid off the cage. For at least a week now he has stopped eating and seems lethargic. There are no other visible signs of illness - mouth and nose look clean, no runny or odd stools, and I can’t feel any type of hardness or bump in his abdomen. He is still drinking water, but has not passed anything solid in at least a week also.

At what point should I be concerned? I saw in another message on this forum that someone posted a method for force feeding meal worms. Can this cause harm to the animal if he has an impaction....by the way what exactly is that?

Anyone got any ideas?
thanks!
team Gecko

05/10/10  10:52pm

Scrupadumpolus
View Profile

Message To: Teamgecko   In reference to Message Id: 2146633

Try chopping food to small bites and coax handfeeding until healthily eating again

06/30/12  10:15pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Scrupadumpolus   In reference to Message Id: 2271800

Old thread is old, Scrup. Check the dates before trying to help. This one is 2 years old.

Also, double-check your helpage. You could have mentioned calcisand being terrible, or that the temps are too low. Lack of hides, too. Any of those can cause problems.

Last time I remember this thread, he posted on both community and general forums, and got his help on the general one. So it’s all good either way. Just remember those types of things for next time.

07/08/12  10:55pm

Scrupadumpolus
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2272600

i got the account maybe 20 minuts before posting that just tried to help

07/09/12  02:52pm

Back to Leopard Gecko Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area