Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Legless Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Geckolord   Steffy   Onissarle   Slowpoke my gecko   Slowpoke my gecko   Welshy   Onissarle   Lozzer   Ssthisto   Onissarle   Herpee   Reptile_dan   Red90   Savvy Snakes   Leopard king   Jassy   BigK   Valleysboy2k9   RepticTay   Legless4Life  

Member  Message

Geckolord
View Profile

Slow worms Plz talk about them

If anyone on this site lives in the uk or has any knowledge of slow worms plz send in photos or talk about them

09/10/05  12:23pm

Steffy
View Profile

Message To: Geckolord   In reference to Message Id: 473836

I live in the UK and love slow worms, i grew up in Cornwall and used to love catching them, they were everywhere but i moved to lancashire about 10 years ago and havent seen them since,they are great though.
Sorry, i dont have any useful knowledge of them but if there is anything you want to know i will be happy to try and find out for you.

09/11/05  02:01pm

Onissarle
View Profile

Heya,

Im English and Ive recently bought four anguis fragilis slow worms, Im looking to expand the collection in the near future. We know that one of them is definitely female, the gender of the other three is a little more dubious until we can judge if they have their full adult colours or not.

Here are a few photos of a couple of them...

Hansel is particularly friendly and curious. We see him out and about more than the others and hes happiest to be handled.

Gretel is our confirmed female and is missing three or four inches from the end of her tail. By the look of it, its a pretty old injury.

Weve got them all set up in a naturalistic vivarium at the moment. Weve used a mix of sterlised potting soil and coconut husk chips to create a loose substrate that lets them burrow around easily and used flat rocks we pulled out of local woods create a heated basking area. Weve sunk a large water dish into the substrate and given them cover with artificial plants, ferns, and hunks of dead tree branches. The overall effect is a little patch of woodland in a box.

The downside is that they spend most of the day very well hidden.

09/27/05  07:27pm

Slowpoke my gecko
View Profile

Message To: Onissarle   In reference to Message Id: 492725

You Bought them? Ive never seen them for sale anywhere in the uk or online. Ive ony ever caught them. They eat slugs and earthworms and stuff.

Toby

11/13/05  09:57am

Slowpoke my gecko
View Profile

You Bought them? Ive never seen them for sale anywhere in the uk or online. Ive only ever caught them.

Toby

11/13/05  09:57am

Welshy
View Profile

Message To: Slowpoke my gecko   In reference to Message Id: 541228

Hia i love slow worms they r sooooooo coooool i used to have some, i lived in south wales, i was walkin down the road in my village and saw a cat having a go at some thing and when i got too close it ran away and it had a slow worm, so i took it home and nursed its cuts and then when it was well again i set it free in this meadow where i have found some before, i go to where i found it some times and it is still in the same place it comes out of hiding and actually lets me pick it up, it sooo coool, another time i was on my way home from school and it was in the middle of the path, its tail was burnt so i took it home and went to a vet he gave me this cream it heald up nicely but it seemed to have forgot how to look after itself and became totally dependant on me. If you want to know what the eat, they eat things like small bugs and especially slugs, both of mine thrived on slugs, they couldnt get enough of them. I would love to have another one but i live in a town now, hopefully when im older and go back to wales i might have another one coz they are just the best. At the moment i have 2 rats and 2 water dragons they are really sweet. well if you would like to know more email me at .uk coz i am a student studying animal care and know alot about many different animals so if you want more info e-mail me and help as much as i can ok.

01/11/06  03:41pm

Onissarle
View Profile

Message To: Welshy   In reference to Message Id: 601893

You dont seem to have left enough info there for me to email you...

You can contact me at if youd like to talk.

01/19/06  11:57am

Lozzer
View Profile

Message To: Onissarle   In reference to Message Id: 611885

Read this if you live in the uk
http://www.threadnaught.net/~caleb/uklaw.html

01/24/06  07:26am

Ssthisto
View Profile

Message To: Lozzer   In reference to Message Id: 618995

The information on that page is not wholly accurate, Lozzer. It presents some outright false information - you CAN legally buy imported (non-native) wild-caught animals of species that are -also- native to Britain.

05/30/06  08:38am

Onissarle
View Profile

Message To: Lozzer   In reference to Message Id: 618995

That site is simply incorrect. Take a look at its parent page ... http://www.threadnaught.net/~caleb/ . Does that look like an official government/defra endorsed site to you?

The shipment that my animals came in as part of was checked and cleared for sale by Defra. After obtaining my four Slow worms, we engaged in some lengthy correspondence with Defra to clear up the grey area around their legality and I have written confirmation from the relevant Defra department that my animals are entirely legal and are not covered by the wildlife and countryside act 1981.

05/30/06  08:47am

Herpee
View Profile

Message To: Onissarle   In reference to Message Id: 810419

OK, Im not sure about this subject, i know it is illegal to sell slow worms found in the UK, apparently even if they are dead! i dont know where the law stands if the slowwies are not from the UK, either way i think they are best left in the wild, I have my own pet slow worms that are completely legal, as they live on my allotment! there is s site only a few minutes work from my allotment where me and my freind, who has a plot next to mine and is also a fellow herpee (as we call ourselves!) we know there is a healthy population of slowies and grass snakes and there was a adder there once but we havnt seen one there for a long time now, anyway, we decided as they were nearby to place some bits of felt by the side of our allotment, and put another bit on a unused compost heap, sure enough within a few days slow worms appeared under them! i have a nice fat, more than likely gravid slowie under one and a male, i have recorded 3 individuals on my plot and my freind has some on his, and the felt we put on the compost heap we werent supprised to find them under that as we have seen slowies on it prior to placing the felt there, today we had a nice supprise, 3 slow worms inc another fat female and a grass snake!
Im lucky enought of have seen all six of our native reptiles, the only think i really want to see now is a melanistic slow worm, my freind has had that privelage but it was not wild (part of captive breeding program) Ill just have to keep looking i guess!

06/21/07  07:27pm

Reptile_dan
View Profile

Message To: Herpee   In reference to Message Id: 1328144

It is against new UK law to keep any Reptile or amphibian from the U.K as a pet. Your not allowed to sell them full stop. You even have to have a license to rescue them. I know this from the Reptile Society I belong to in England. Im luckily enough to have a very healthy population in my garden in Essex think I counted around 8 the other night. I still rescue the odd one now again from the local cat but I keep them in a enclosure outside and release them straight away (or when they are fit enough).

07/09/07  09:46am

Red90
View Profile

Message To: Steffy   In reference to Message Id: 475216

hello there i love animals and we have 5 cats at the moment and are always catching slow worms this time of year and so i was just wondering how to look after them i mean their diets and how to keep them, please help me as i am looking into keeping one for myself.
do you also know how to tell the different genders apart.
thanks for your help.
red90

08/02/07  09:34am

Savvy Snakes
View Profile

I have 2 slow worms that i rescued from a compost heap as it was being dug up their names are Sammy and Timmy

07/25/08  10:54am

Leopard king
View Profile

Message To: Savvy Snakes   In reference to Message Id: 1808189

Red90 haven’t you read this thread? its completely illegal to keep them

08/05/08  05:34am

Jassy
View Profile

Message To: Leopard king   In reference to Message Id: 1820232

i don’t think you can actually buy slow worms because it’s agains the countryside act 19sumthing i don’t now though you might be able to!

08/27/08  07:57am

BigK
View Profile

Hi,

I live on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall and in the summer have any number of slow worms which collect under concrete slabs which I leave in the garden. These slabs warm up in the sun, which the slow worms love.

BigK.

02/15/09  04:00pm

Valleysboy2k9
View Profile

i have a slow worm and they are very cool if u cant afford a snake or a exspensive tank they are legless lizards but i have heard they are illegal to keep them but i have 1 any way as long as the dont report you to the rspca

05/17/09  05:39am

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: Valleysboy2k9   In reference to Message Id: 2006201

actually it is legal to take one or two legless lizards from the wild and keep in your own garden or home, but not to sell. If you are caught catching wild Legless lizards and selling them on as captive bred lizards you will be heavily fined and possible prison sentance.

However, getting from wild and keeping in your own home is legal as far as i am aware.

But yeah legless’s are fantastic!

06/20/09  02:32pm

Legless4Life
View Profile

Don’t get slow worms they are not good pets.

06/15/16  04:55am

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area