Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Legless Lizards Forum

KAP10CAVY   Reptilesrock   Bringiton   Cameron V.   Cameron V.   Cameron V.   Bridgette  
 Member  Message

KAP10CAVY
View Profile

Russian legless lizards

Does anyone here keep these critters?
I have been offered two and need to know the basics to help me decide if I want them or not.
They seem healthy and active but I have no experience with these critters, so what do I know?
I need to know cage requirements, temps, diet and substrate.
And anything you want to add.

Scott

06/12/05  01:30am

Reptilesrock
View Profile

Message To: KAP10CAVY   In reference to Message Id: 369007

Russian legless lizards

Enclosure: A 20-gallon long aquarium is the minimum size recommended for these lizards, though larger is often recommended. Hiding places should be provided as well as rocks or branches to provide climbing areas.

Temperature: Daytime temperatures should be maintained between 70 to 85 F. Nighttime temperatures can be maintained approximately 10 F lower at 60 to 75 F.

Heat/Light: Heat can be provided by a number of different means, including red heat bulbs, basking lights, or ceramic emitters. Be sure to provide a photoperiod of approximately 12 hours daily. If using a red heat bulb or ceramic emitter, the photoperiod can be provided with a standard fluorescent bulb. There is no information requiring UVB for these lizards but some natural sunlight may be beneficial for this species.

Substrate: A 50/50 mix of sterilized soil and tropical play sand mix is often the best substrate to use with this species. This will most closely resemble their natural habitat and can usually be easily spot cleaned.

Environment: In the wild, these legless lizards come from a fairly dry environment and often can be found along rocky hillsides with many places available for cover.

Diet: A variety of invertebrates can be offered as food, including crickets, mealworms and earthworms. In addition mice will also be readily accepted. Pinkies or fuzzies are often a good choice but adult mice may also be offered if it is cut into suitable sized pieces for the lizard to eat. Fresh water should be offered daily.

Maintenance: The enclosure should be spot cleaned daily. A thorough cleaning should be performed on a regular basis. A 5% bleach solution is an excellent disinfectant. Be sure to thoroughly rinse the enclosure before replacing the substrate and placing the lizard back in the enclosure.

Hope this info helps. They get pretty big! About 4 feet long. I have a western slender glass lizard, hes about 7 inches long. Im interested in breeding him, so if you have any idea where I can get him a mate, that info would be appreciated.

06/14/05  01:48am

Bringiton
View Profile

Russian legless lizards

I have a Russia legless and hes bout 3 feet long right now so i would probably get a 30 or 40 gal at least

07/19/05  02:14am

Cameron V.
View Profile

Russian legless lizards

I know a little on these lizards. I did a little research for you and found out the following:
1. At the zoo, they eat crickets, mealworms and furred mice.
2. Judith DePue, owner of "Animal Crackers" told me she feeds her Legless Lizard pinkie mice, (very young mice still withoug fur) nightcrawlers, bugs, and sometimes even canned cat food.
3. Temperature should be 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit
4. They are very easy to keep, you simply have to refresh their water and remove waste daily.
5. They are not terribly social, they usually hide somewhere in their tank.
6. A 40 watt bulb should be used for basking. (usually one hour in the morning)
7. You should have a 15 gallon tank at least for two. They are not climbers, so it should be long, not tall.
8. You should use undertank heating, never heat rocks.

I hope this information will be helpful to you. Please E-mail me to tell me if it gave you any help. My E-mail address is , and my web site is http://www.creaturefeature.info

10/29/05  02:07pm

Cameron V.
View Profile

Russian legless lizards

I know a little on these lizards. I did a little research for you and found out the following:
2. Judith DePue, owner of "Animal Crackers" told me she feeds her Legless Lizard pinkie mice, (very young mice still withoug fur) nightcrawlers, bugs, and sometimes even canned cat food.
4. They are very easy to keep, you simply have to refresh their water and remove waste daily.
7. You should have a 15 gallon tank at least for two. They are not climbers, so it should be long, not tall.

I hope this information will be helpful to you. Please E-mail me to tell me if it gave you any help. My E-mail address is , and my web site is http://www.creaturefeature.info

10/29/05  02:07pm

Cameron V.
View Profile

Russian legless lizards

10/29/05  02:08pm

Bridgette
View Profile

Russian legless lizards

Hey im new at this hole thing but theres a russian legless lizard i would love to get but are they aggressive?

02/22/07  12:18pm

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area