Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Legless Lizards Forum

Reptilesrock   Biokid   Reptilesrock   Reptilesrock   Beginnerherp   Rudolphtamer04   Yusani   Rosyballsnake   Pacmanfrog2   Bigjayjon   Aryasmodeus  
 Member  Message

Reptilesrock
View Profile

I found a Western Slender Glass Lizard, is it illegal?

Hi, I live in california and I just caught a glass lizard. I had no clue what it was until I looked it up. I didnít even know you could find glass lizards or any type of legless lizard in california! I heard from somebody on this site that it is an endangered species. Iím wondering if it is illegal to keep one? Mine is a really good eater, so if it is legal and everything, keeping it and maybe breeding it isnít out of the question. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

06/05/05  08:59pm

Biokid
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 363372

Well to be safe on your part you should take to any local that knows for sure if it is endangered. If it is then you can definetly be in trouble. You need to have a whole bunch of licesnces and work for a conservation group in order to keep and breed endangered species.. I would really contact any animal conservation group. Thatís what I would do.

06/05/05  10:39pm

Reptilesrock
View Profile

Message To: Biokid   In reference to Message Id: 363435

Thanks for your feedback. I found out that they are indeed, an endangered species, but they arenít protected. Now Iím interested in breeding. The hardest part will probably be finding another. Heís already eating good and has adjusted well to captivity.

06/06/05  06:30pm

Reptilesrock
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 364068

Hereís a pic of my glass lizard

06/07/05  12:30am

Beginnerherp
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 364431

thats a good looking lizzard you got there.
Really nice!

06/23/05  03:54pm

Rudolphtamer04
View Profile

Message To: Beginnerherp   In reference to Message Id: 379969

yeah

09/03/05  12:27pm

Yusani
View Profile

Message To: Rudolphtamer04   In reference to Message Id: 465373

Beautiful! If he is indeed endangered, you should DEFINITELY call up the nearest zoo or herpetologist at the nearest university and get some advice. A herpetologist at the zoo or university might know of other people who can find a mate for your lizard. Plus, they can offer you advice on the best possible diet.

You shouldnít have a hard time getting in touch with the "big people" at the zoo if you just mention that you have and endangered species.

You have been given a precious gift if he is indeed endangered and should give him the best care possible! Good luck to you and congratulations on your find!

10/06/05  08:49pm

Rosyballsnake
View Profile

Message To: Yusani   In reference to Message Id: 503294

I live in so cal and I catch theese about once a month let me know where you live through a private message and maybe I can get you a couple

06/10/10  12:31am

Pacmanfrog2
View Profile

Message To: Rosyballsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2154620

you should measure him! he’s a beauty!

06/23/10  12:23pm

Bigjayjon
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 364431

That looks more like a California legless lizard. Most snakes and lizards in California have a possesion limit of two, however the California legless lizard limit is only one I believe...

They look really cool and are very facinating but they only eat very small invertabrates. Try feeding it pinhead-size crickets, small mealworms or blood worms.

06/25/10  11:13am

Aryasmodeus
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 363372

Hey I live in California and I just found a legless. Do you still have yours? If so I’d love to help. I’m pretty sure mines a female, not certain though.

03/29/11  11:06pm

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area