Legless Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

J-Yo   J-Yo   Valleysboy2k9   Gottee guy   Mynameserin   CreaturesofWhimsy  

Member  Message

J-Yo
View Profile

OK, I have a problem and I need help ASAP

so almost a week ago i purchased my first LL. He’s about 16 inches to 2 feet long, I’ve read all i can about them. But on to the problem, the lady at the pet store that i got him from said his diet consisted of 2 mice a week. Now everything I’ve read called for feeding them crickets which i have been tryin to do. However, he refuses to eat crickets so i gave up and went and bought the smallest mouse i could find (considering they said this was his diet and it worried me because he didnt look big enough to eat the mice they were feeding him). So yesturday i got him a mouse and put it in his cage, he immediately responded and went on the hunt. He had difficulty catching the mouse as it was too fast, but i solved the problem and gave my lizard (whose name is Leviathan) the upper hand., So after finally catching the mouse and killing it he began to swallow. However, he got to the mouse’s hip bones and couldnt swallow anymore. So he spit it back up and borrowed. So today i went and got a baby rat pup (which is the smallest thing i can find at the moment) came home and placed him in the cage and now Leviathan doesnt seem the slight bit interested in it. As a matter of fact he’s more irritated b y it’s presence than anything. So my question is, what should i do? There are no exotic vets around m,y area to take him, so i am asking you lot. If you could please respond with as much advice as possible. Thanks.

04/10/09  02:21pm

J-Yo
View Profile

Message To: J-Yo   In reference to Message Id: 1983575

*BUMP* please i need some help....

04/10/09  04:53pm

Valleysboy2k9
View Profile

Message To: J-Yo   In reference to Message Id: 1983575

you should try feeding him shrews they are the smallest type of moues/mice i now i have sseen lots of them because my cat brings them back to my house alive and usally my cat puts it down then my ferret eats it

05/17/09  05:43am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Valleysboy2k9   In reference to Message Id: 2006202

lizards, including legless lizards, cannot swallow anything larger than their own head. get newborn pinkie mice, less than a day old. what species is it?
unless it is a burton’s legless lizard, it should eat crickets, silkworms, and other insects.

05/27/09  03:33pm

Mynameserin
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2011966

Hi,

absolutely do not feed yours anything bigger than the space between his eyes!!!

I have a legless lizard also.. mine is now 3.5 feet long so probably older than yours by some. I would NOT recommend feeding this lizard any fuzzy mice (furry mice are too old) at all. Like the other person said, PINKY mice only! and they do eat a vast variety of different other things as well that you should try just to get some variation in his diet (for your sake and his). He can eat dog and cat food (not too much it will be left over and spoil in his cage....like a few teaspoons is fine every other day). He can also eat cooked eggs (hard boiled w/out shell is best as frying adds oil) and boiled chicken meat. You said he doesn’t like crickets, so another option in insects would be a vast variety of worms. Mine is in love with "super worms" (aka king worms) and "horn worms (the caterpillar that eats the tomato plants). I use those worms in particular since they are large enough for me to feed my Leggy (thats my legless’s name) with tweezers. The advantage to using the tweezers is that your lizard will come to recognize YOU as the one who feeds him and will respond to you well eventually. It is very fun to feed Leggy, since when I walk by his tank, he’ll notice me and begin weaving back and forth in my direction (getting excited to eat).

They also eat roaches.. you can see mine eating one in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js6ukgGe644

hope I helped
- erin

09/26/10  07:27pm

CreaturesofWhimsy
View Profile

Message To: Mynameserin   In reference to Message Id: 2177624

Is your lizard ok with handling? Mine has been tong fed all its like by its previous owner and goes after hands thinking they are good.. Do you have any suggestions on how I can help him understand hands are not for eating? I feed him in or out of the tank with tongs or by laying the food in front of him, although he struggles to pick to food up off the ground...

03/12/16  04:40pm

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area