Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Legless Lizards Forum

Repfanatic   PrinceSushi   Repfanatic   PrinceSushi   Repfanatic   PrinceSushi   Repfanatic   Gottee guy   Repfanatic   PrinceSushi   Repfanatic   PrinceSushi   Repfanatic   PrinceSushi   Repfanatic   DragonQueen4   Repfanatic   Gottee guy   Repfanatic   Kumi   Repfanatic  
 Member  Message

Repfanatic
View Profile

Australian Legless Lizard

I am trying to find out if there is another name for the Australian legless lizard. I’ve tried looking up care sheets just on this name and really haven’t found much. There’s one at our local reptile shop that we have put on hold. We want to find out all the information we can before we bring it home. We were given the basics at the shop, but they didn’t know if they go by any other name either. If anybody owns one or knows another name for them it would be a great help. Thank you.

03/16/08  02:47pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1663028

There are many different types of LLs from Australia. I would assume its a Burton’s LL since most of the other species can’t be found outside the US unless under special circumstances.

Lialis burtonis

03/16/08  08:43pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1663713

Thanks for the help. I was told by the reptile shop that they eat crickets, but all the info I’m finding is saying they eat other lizards (anoles) and small snakes. I’m fine with keeping a supply of anoles for him, but I’m going to have to figure out how often he needs to eat. I will see for myself if he actually does eat crickets, but would like to also see that he eats the food he would be eating in the wild.....minus the small snakes. You can only get so close to copying their wild behavior and I draw the line at feeding snakes until they decide to sell f/t feeder snakes for cheaper than $65. If anybody else has had experience with this species and has anything to add I’d be grateful. Thanks. BTW, I’m not a novice with reptiles. I’ve been keeping lizards (desert and tropical) for 7 years, so I’m a quick learner and can tell when something isn’t right.

03/16/08  09:56pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1663859

Does the picture look like the one you are purchasing? Just want to make sure. :)

They can learn to eat worms and crix. Even so you should prepare to feed at least one anole/house gecko a week. Some will eat pinkie mice. If your okay with the upkeep of having anoles or geckos around then I would say feeding twice a week is best.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/feeders/feeder-lizards/

It can get expensive so I would suggest in breeding. I believe leo babies would be an acceptable size and leos breed fairly easy. I honestly don’t know how easy or hard it is to breed house geckos but I know that anoles can be tricky to breed.

Also, with an animal like this you are going to want to have a fecal done every 3-6 months to make sure no bad parasites made it in through some of the food.

If you have 7 years of experience I’m not going to bother going into housing requirements or anything unless you want to hear them. Please keep us updated though.

Good luck! Hope to hear/see more of him in the future.

03/17/08  03:37am

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1664243

The color of the one pictured is different, but it’s the same lizard. I did look into housing and didn’t really find much. I was thinking about getting a 20 long tank with aspen as the substrate. As far as heating I was told to keep a basking temp of 85-90, a warm side floor temp in the lower 80s and a cool side of 75. They didn’t know about humidity. They’ve had him for a month and haven’t been misting or anything. Do you know if they need a certain amount of humidity? I breed leopard geckos right now, but don’t know if I’d be able to feed my babies to the LL. I might try my hand at breeding anoles first before I go feeding my leo babies off. I will also try the pinkie mice since I breed mice and they are more readily available and I have lizards to scent it with if it comes to that. My hold on him expires Friday, so if I can’t find out enough information I’ll let him go, but I think I’m on a pretty good track and I definitely found the right place to come. I’ll keep looking on the internet and I’m going to be taking a trip to the library today, so wish me luck. I might have to pull some information together and write my own care sheet.

03/17/08  08:30am

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1664336

Yeah, they do come in a wide range of colors but the body and head shape are rather unique to Burton’s.

As for substrate, I would say a mix would be better as opposed to just aspen. Layers being best. I would do sand, soil and aspen on top or just soil and aspen to help with humidity. I know they need some humidity, but I’m not positive on the exact amount. I would mist every few days and if its too much/little change the frequency.

A 20 long should be fine but if it looks like he isn’t getting enough exercise, upgrade.

The temps you suggested sound correct to me.

03/17/08  01:46pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1664535

I’ll put eco earth in his tank too and see if I can still get good temps. I called the shop today just to make sure he’s still on hold for me. I’m always so worried they’ll sell an animal out from under me. He’s still there, but Friday is the last day I have to pick him up. I might just be testing the waters to see what works and what doesn’t. I’m going to get about 5 feeder anoles, but try a pinkie mouse first along with crickets since the shop swears he eats them. He’s a tan color all over and doesn’t have the stripe on his side, but I can tell by his head that he’s a Burton’s. I looked up pictures of other species and they don’t fit, so at least I am positive on the species now.

03/17/08  10:03pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1665267

that sounds like a good setup but don’t forget the 5.0 uvb bulb! i would put 1/3 of the tank just aspen and the other side a few layers of play sand, organtic soil, bed-a-beast, and maybe reptibark.

03/19/08  05:58pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1667679

Thanks. Nobody ever mentioned a UV light. Would a 10.0 be too much for him? I think as far as the substrate goes I’ll do Aspen on top of Eco Earth (same as Bed-A-Beast). I’m not planning on making it too deep in the beginning since the shop he’s at now said he just hangs out on top of the aspen and it’s pretty deep, so he could burrow if he wants. So here’s the set-up I’m looking at right now.
20 long tank
wood perch with a half log on top for a basking spot/hide.
half log on the cool side
heat mat
heat lamp with a 75 watt household bulb
UV fixture with a 5.0 or 10.0 bulb.....probably 10.0 unless somebody says otherwise
water dish
Eco Earth and aspen about 3" deep
I’m going to pick him up tomorrow along with the UV fixture and bulb. I have the tank set up with just aspen, so I’ll put the Eco Earth in tonight and recheck temps and everything else. Right now I have the lamp and heat mat on a rheostat, but I might have to take the heat mat off of it after adding the Eco Earth to get the right temps. We’ll just have to see. Thank you for all the help. Hopefully I will be providing him with a good home now and be doing less trial and error.

03/20/08  09:27pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1669278

Well, when I think about the area they are from, a 10.0 sounds best. You may want to talk to your local vet.

03/21/08  01:07pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1669851

Quote:

Well, when I think about the area they are from, a 10.0 sounds best.

Well, I have 2 bearded dragons that originate from Australia and a 10.0 is recommended for them, so I’ll just get him the 10.0. I’m going to pick him up today. I’ll post pictures after I get him settled.

03/21/08  04:45pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1670095

I have two BDs as well. They are also what I compared the LL too.

03/22/08  03:26am

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1670934

Well, here he/she is. Anybody know how to sex these? I’ll post pics of the enclosure when I get them uploaded.

Any name suggestions? I’m stumped on this one.

03/22/08  08:48pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1671779

Gorgeous burton’s. I really like the coloration.
No idea on sexing them. Maybe a vet could do a probe or palpate for extra organs.

03/24/08  04:06am

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1673589

Yeah, I really like his coloration also. Since I don’t plan on breeding it’s not really that important that I find out the sex. I’ll just say male and save him from the stress of probing. I’m moving him to a different cage today. He’s in a tank with a sliding lid while my rainbow boa doesn’t have a sliding lid, so we’re trading tanks....after they both get cleaned of course.

03/24/08  05:08pm

DragonQueen4
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1670095

i wouldnt get a 10 just because your beardies use a 10 and they come from the same area. there are many other factors in determining what strength to use. does your legless lizard come from an area thats sheltered by trees and therefore a lot of the sundlight is filtered out? does your legless lizard burrow.. im assuming he does, i know most of them do anyway. I have a european legless lizard and he spends much of his time buried under the dirt or in his hidebox. if this is the case then he is not evolved to be able to handle a 10 uvb, it will give him a bad sunburn. i would look further into it.

11/11/08  12:51am

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: DragonQueen4   In reference to Message Id: 1896557

Well, I’ve had him for over 8 months with a 10.0 and he’s thriving. I’ve only seen him burrow 2 times and he’s dinural, so the 10.0 is a good fit for him. And like I said in the beginning (8 months ago)......I cannot find any care sheets on Burton’s LLs and have still not been able to find another Burton’s owner, so there’s not much more "looking further into it" that I can do, but thanks for the suggestion.

11/25/08  01:40pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1904652

Quote:

I cannot find any care sheets on Burton’s LLs

none? did you search google?

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

11/26/08  06:49pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1905340

I searched everywhere and those links are not care sheets. I already know what they eat and where they come from. The thing I was having problems finding was information on temps, humidity, enclosure size, and lighting. THAT is what I’ve had to experiment with. Can we please stop posting on an old thread that has already been resolved? Thanks.

12/05/08  03:18pm

Kumi
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1909679

looks a bit big to be able to eat full sized male anoles...

Plus it’s kinda sad (as an anole keeper)

12/13/08  12:53am

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: Kumi   In reference to Message Id: 1913798

Quote:

looks a bit big to be able to eat full sized male anoles...

That comment makes no sense to me, so I’ll leave it alone.

Quote:

Plus it’s kinda sad (as an anole keeper)

It’s called the food chain. And yes it is kinda sad, but that’s life. He’s gotta eat what he’s gotta eat.

12/14/08  03:48pm

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area