Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Legless Lizards Forum

Scalez   PrinceSushi   Scalez  
 Member  Message

Scalez
View Profile

Whats the best kind?

I am considering getting one and I need to know what kind is the easiest to take care of.P.S. any information on that kind would be awesome.

02/12/08  09:06pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Scalez   In reference to Message Id: 1621491

Whats the best kind?

Burton’s is the easiest to get and isn’t too hard to care for.They are also gorgeous, I’m rather fond of the lighter colored ones. Almost all LLs have similar care but the bigger they are, the easier they are to feed, generally.

For Burton’s you can keep a pair in a 40 gallon long but I would recommend a 60 gallon. You don’t need a glass tank, in fact they would most likely be happier in a tub or solid enclosure, just make sure you have a secure lid.

Dirt would need to be about 12 inches deep with a 50/50 mix of sand and dirt/coconut fiber. Its good to include lots of large leaves that have been baked as well as some hollow logs and branches/sticks. Rocks and slate slabs can be used to create burrows/caves.

Provide a dish large enough for the lizard to soak in, no more than 4 inches deep.

For food you can feed crickets, roaches, house geckos, small anoles, skinks, and pinkies. They rarely take bugs. In the wild they mainly feed on skinks but in captivity most will accept house/feeder geckos. I’ve also heard that people have success with brained pinkies. Always use tongs and try to stimulate the lizard if you are feeding frozen pinkies.

Since these lizards are know to come out during the day I suggest you use a UVB lamp. Reptisun 10.0 would be best. UVA of correct wattage for basking. Basking temps should be about 90 while the rest of the tank is between 75-80. A UTH can be used at night, under the burrow.

02/12/08  11:03pm

Scalez
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1621676

Whats the best kind?

Thanks. I needed that information.

02/13/08  09:29am

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area