Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Legless Lizards Forum

Gottee guy   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Gottee guy
View Profile

Mixture

is a mixture of reptibak and calcium sand ok, good, or bad for my legless lizards?

10/20/07  06:40pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1484640

Mixture

to add to that,reptibark,calcisand,and aspen bedding mixture.is this okaY?........................bummpp........

10/21/07  08:49pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1485819

Mixture

I donít recommend it.

First of all, if you want to create a mixture with sand then you need to stick to normal filtered play sand. That calcisand stuff clumps and is dangerous for reptiles.

I also donít recommend and type of wood substrate for your reptile, its rough and sharp on their delicate skin. Stick to something like bed a beast. The best thing about bed a beast is that you can use it for plants when you change the substrates. I do a completer change every six months and partial changes in between. When I do the full change I put it in my flower bed for my baby tears to grow in.

You burrowing lizard will appreciate it much more. They can burrow into it, its soft and holds moisture. I canít stress the moisture part enough. Legless lizards need lots of moisture and they need to be able to stay cool.

One block could fill a 10 gallon to about 2-4 inches of depth. Iím using 1 1/2 on my 20 gallon long and I have coverage of about 2 inches in the thinest areas. You get a lot for a chap price.

So if you want you could layer sand on the bottom and then bed a beast on top to get a nice moisture holding mix.

10/21/07  10:17pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1485984

Mixture

ok thx iíll get some today. can skinks be kept with legless lizards?iív always kept them together and they never fight.they are all wild caught and from the same area.

10/23/07  09:20am

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1487406

Mixture

I wouldnít say yes but I wouldnít say no. What type of skink is it? What type of legless are you housing with it?

Either one could potentially eat each other so I canít really say anything until I get more info on the species you own.

Its generally not good to keep two species together but in my opinion if they are from the same area and wonít bother each other then there isnít anything wrong with it. My legless was living with a toad up until she gave birth. Now her and her baby are going onto their own tank.

10/23/07  05:29pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1487875

Mixture

there is a five lined skink,a broad headed skink,an eastern glass lizard,and a slender glass lizard.they are all from the exact same golf course so i donít see if anything is wrong. they sometimes rip a cricket in half by pulling the two ends.itís kind of funny to watch but they are careful to not bite each other.i always onlook when i feed them just in case though.....

10/23/07  09:54pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1488296

Mixture

From what I can predict, the worst situation would be one of your skinks becoming chow for one of the legless lizards, of course it would depend on the size of your LLs. Other than that it does seem like you could keep these animals together as long as they are getting along.

What size tank are you housing them in? With that many reptiles I would recommend at least a 40 gallon long or 55 gallon. A 60 gallon would work as well.

To house them together I recommend a 55 gallon tank. Bottom layer 2 inches sand and a top layer of 3 inches bed-a-beast. I would go outside and hunt down some nice big leaves that have fallen off a tree and then stick them in the oven when you get home to kill parasites and bacteria that may be living on them. Get a few big rocks that you can stack on one side for the skinks to bask on and hide under. On the opposite side of the tank I would get a nice big dish, no deeper than 2 inches for the skinks safety. Just in case place a rock int he middle of the bowl that the skinks can get to.Bury the dish down to the substrate layer so they can easily get into it.

You could also purchase or find some sticks for the skinks or some wooden/plastic hides. Be sure to bake anything thats been brought in from outside. You can boil rocks in a pot or just pour boiling water over them if you canít fit them in a pot.

You could easily create a really cool multi species tank with a natural feel. I love to see these types of tanks! Its a great way to learn about local reptiles.

Just use the plants at your local golf course or field/forest for inspiration.

10/24/07  03:17am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1488544

Mixture

they r in a 45-50 gallon

10/24/07  01:59pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1488900

Mixture

Its not ideal but should be fine if you legless lizards are under 3 feet. :)

10/24/07  07:03pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1489224

Mixture

yeah they are way under 3 feet! maybe 1 foot or less

10/24/07  07:22pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1489250

Mixture

Ok, great. They are pretty slow growers so they should be fine it that tank for at least another year if they are only 12 inches.

10/25/07  01:19am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1489699

Mixture

that should be enough time to ask for a bigger tank :)

10/25/07  12:57pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1489983

Mixture

today i got some bed-a-beast and put it over the other substrates(i didnt mix it)so now there are four layers and bead-a-beast is on top

11/10/07  10:04pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1509006

Mixture

4 layers of what? The items in your very first post are not suitable for legless lizard.

11/10/07  11:11pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1509100

Mixture

no its play sand on the bottom,potting soil middle,and bed-a-beast on top

11/11/07  12:23am

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1509195

Mixture

Oh, ok. Thats fine. :)

Did you make sure the potting soil had no additives like perlite?

11/11/07  03:34pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1509857

Mixture

its not really potting soil but soil from the woods so i donít think it would have perlite or fertilizers or anything

11/11/07  04:21pm

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area