Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Legless Lizards Forum

Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   PrinceSushi   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Gottee guy
View Profile

Difference

are slender glass lizards smaller than eastern glass lizards because i have 1 of each (as though i think).?the smaller one is light brownish(the slender glass lizard i think) and the larger one (definetly an eastern)is larger and green. is the smaller one a baby eastern glass lizard or are they different species?

10/06/07  05:25pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1469598

Difference

Where did you get them? Are they bought or wild caught?

Your eastern does sound like an eastern. As far as I know eastern are the only US glass lizards that develop the green coloration.

Both the eastern and the slender glass lizard reach about the same length but the eastern generally is much large in girth. The best way to tell them apart is by looking at the lateral groove. If the smaller lizard has lines extending beyond the lateral groove, its a slender, if not, its an eastern.

Hope that helps. If it didnít, then post some pictures if you can or give us some more information so we can help you figure out what it is.

10/07/07  06:40pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1470659

Difference

they are wild caught. i meant larger in girth not length lol.where is the lateral groove? i forgot about it.

10/07/07  08:21pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1470784

Difference

Its the side of the lizard, where the tummy/underside begins.

Slender glass lizard.

Eastern glass lizard.

Images from
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/index.htm

10/08/07  12:13am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1471067

Difference

oh yeah now i remember

10/08/07  02:40pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1471585

Difference

the first pic looks more like my slender glass lizard than the eastern in the second pic but all of the slender glass lizards i have caught are more tan on the bottom part of the lateral groove. are there any other kinds you know that live in florida?

10/09/07  10:34pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1473395

Difference

Color variations are always possible. Its just those stripes you really want to pay attention to when trying to identify them.

Age can also be a huge factor to color tint.

I only own CA LLs and the baby is very silvery while the adult is tan with a nice cream yellow tummy. Iíve seen a few different photos of the CA LL and its color range is pretty big. From silver to brown and off white to bright yellow.

10/24/07  03:24am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1488550

Difference

o ok

10/24/07  08:20am

Back to Legless Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area