Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lacerta Forum

Reptilesrock   Dragůn_Dorado   Reptilesrock   Snake-eyes   LUKEJAKE17   Ameivaboy  
 Member  Message

Reptilesrock
View Profile

Are Ameivas Lacertas?

Iím just curious, but is an Ameiva a type of Lacerta? I found one in my backyard and nobody has claimed it. If nobody claims him, Iím gonna keep him. Heís really cool, but heís kinda mean. Itís a green amieva. Does anybody have any experiance with them? How big do they get? Right now, this one is almost 15 inches from the nose to tail tip.

06/27/05  01:43am

Dragůn_Dorado
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 383182

Are Ameivas Lacertas?

Itís probably wild.
And as far as I know, know they arenít.
Ameivas are related to tegus, under the genus Teiidae, and Lacertas are Agamids (Lacertillia).

-collin

06/28/05  02:58pm

Reptilesrock
View Profile

Message To: Dragůn_Dorado   In reference to Message Id: 384809

Are Ameivas Lacertas?

I donít think itís wild. They arenít native to california. I think heís an escaped pet. But, thanks, now I know where to post my questions on ameivas.

06/28/05  07:48pm

Snake-eyes
View Profile

Message To: Reptilesrock   In reference to Message Id: 383182

Are Ameivas Lacertas?

Ameivas belong to the family Teiidae, Lacertas to the Lacertidae.

Lacertids are native to the old world while Teiids are native to the New World.

Some Teiids - like Cnemidophorus - get into North America, but Ameivas are neotropical lizards.
Tegus (genus Tupinambis ) are also Teiids.

Both the Teiidae and Lacertidae are believed to be related to each other, skinks and Night Lizards
(Xantusiidae).

07/17/06  11:33am

LUKEJAKE17
View Profile

Message To: Snake-eyes   In reference to Message Id: 888746

Are Ameivas Lacertas?

as for size, theres many different species of ameivas, the biggest go to 2 feet, but there may be bigger species, its quite a hard lizard to find imformation for.

09/22/06  01:14pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: LUKEJAKE17   In reference to Message Id: 992855

Are Ameivas Lacertas?

Definatly an escaped pet, the only place ameivas have naturalized in is 2 counties in FLorida, out of the 30 some odd species the green ameiva (ameiva ameiva) is one of the largest with one subspecies being known to max out at 24" though the nominate race usually maxes out at 18-20" males are larger than females have have the teiid characteristic of having jowls, if you need more info check out the "Tiger Ameiva" care sheet under Care Sheets-Tegus-Tiger Ameiva
care is very simialr except Ameiva Ameiva tends to be much more terrestrail than A> Festiva and A. Undulata

10/30/06  01:37am

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area