Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lacerta Forum

Loriloveslizards   Loriloveslizards   Loriloveslizards   Ameivaboy   Loriloveslizards   Loriloveslizards   Ameivaboy  
 Member  Message

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Vetting for Valentino

Well after what happened with my Gilda I decided to move my two remaining Wall lizards into a smaller enclosure so that I could better keep tabs on them.
I ordered some cool MagNatural walls from Pet Tech and went about putting them in on Tuesday. On Tuesday I discovered that my young male, Valentino, had a bum front leg. By yesterday, I was in such a fright that I decided he would be going to the vet this weekend. I put Valentino into a small single level cage for now. The cage is covered with a towel and my two lizard loving cats have not discovered him as yet. Fingers crossed they won’t find him today either.
I don’t know if the vet will be able to splint such a small leg, but at least he is going to be checked out and not left untreated. The reptile vet is Dr. Tom Greek. I’ve read nothing but good things about this man, so I’m hopeful that he will help my Valentino.

A Young Valentino

06/10/10  11:33am

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2154670

Vetting for Valentino

Dr. Greek saw Valentino this morning. And, wouldn’t you just know it? Valentino doesn’t have MBD as I feared and was walking normally with no shaking. He did find a parasite, which will be treated now.
His only recommendation was that I keep Valentino in the small enclosure until all he has had all of his medication before returning him to his regular enclosure. Greta will be joining him in the small cage, so that she gets a dose of medication too. As she enjoys biting me, there shouldn’t be a big problem getting her to open her mouth!
So happy I took him to the vet. Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda, CA, who is a very knowledgeable, caring and a down to earth vet. He didn’t try to force anything on my lizard that he didn’t need. Which I thought was just awesome.
Anyone who has a need should take their lizard to him. I highly recommend him.

06/12/10  05:57pm

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2155256

Vetting for Valentino

Valentino is being quite the good patient. I’ve been keeping him out on a heating pad w/a towel over it for at least an hour each day. Taking his medicine is a bit more of a challenge, but only 3 days left to go this round.
Now Greta did exactly as I thought she would. As she was biting my husband’s finger, I put a drop of the medicine in her opened mouth. LOL!! So 4 more days of Greta bites for one or the other of us. What fun!!

06/14/10  12:42pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2155653

Vetting for Valentino

Glad the vet visit went well
What kind of parasite did he find? also wondering what medicine you’re using?

I just got in 5 female wall lizards. A couple are gravid for sure maybe all of them, woo lots of eggs.

06/15/10  11:18pm

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 2156138

Vetting for Valentino

Intestinal parasites. Started with a P, but didn’t register in my mind. So I’m not sure.
The medication is Fenbendazole. Says for the treatment of woms or intestinal parasites.

Both lizards have completed the first round and are back into the regular cage. They were very happy to be back in there as they stayed up near the light for several hours. Neither seems the worse for wear, although Valentino was getting really antsy the last couple of days in the little cage.

06/18/10  11:37am

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2156691

Valentino did not make the long haul

First my beautiful Gilda, by my own human error.

And now Valentino, because I don’t know why? Did the vet miss something important? Was I not able to
describe his symptoms will enough? I think the latter, as Valentino did have some shaking and other tell tail signs that all was not well.
Yesterday, he tried his hardest to get out of his enclosure. Later I saw him laying in the worm bowl with crickets crawling over him??. I took out the bowl and checked on him, but he was already gone.
Another beautiful lizard to mourn. Something is not right with my enclosures or the way they are being kept, so I’ll not replace the wonderful Lacertas no matter how much I want too.
I will contact the breeder and see if he has any ideas. He sold off part of his breeding stock. So now might not be the right time for contact, then again this is going to bug the snot out of me until I get some kind of intelligent opinion, so I’ll probably ask.
LLL

06/21/10  10:59am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2157277

Valentino did not make the long haul

Sorry to hear about your loss.
If the time comes you’d like some more wall lizards let me know.
I have more than I need right now. Males and females and eggs cooking.

~Kevin

06/21/10  08:01pm

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area