Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Lacerta Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Loriloveslizards   Loriloveslizards   Ameivaboy   ThesaurusRex   Gerbil5   Gus308  

Member  Message

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Very pissed off at myself!

Well, Podarcis-fan proved to be absolutely correct. As one of my female Wall lizards is dead and has been for at least a week, possibly two.

I’d never see both girls out together much and when I put in the male, I’d never see them all out together ever. Yesterday, I decided to change out their substrate and take a head count. That is how I happened upon her small skeleton. I hope whatever caused her death was quick and she didn’t suffer.
Not sure what caused her death. Another lizard? Not enough proper lighting? Too much extra added calcium in the water?

The only tell tale sign that she might have had a health problem was the last quarter of her tail had turned white. Almost like she dragged it through paint. But, maybe that was the clue that she needed to go to the vet? I don’t know, anybody see this in their lizards? Did it mean some kind of need for something or that she was getting too much of something?

Poor Gilda, I will miss my beautiful girl. I now really hope that the remaining pair will mate and live a very long time.
The breeder hasn’t returned my email, he is probably pretty upset with me for not taking proper care of my charges. I know I am.
LLL

05/06/10  02:26pm

Loriloveslizards
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2145757

Know why she died

I think I figured it out. I keep a piece of wood in the cage for climbing. A couple of weeks ago I adjusted that stupid piece of wood and did not check the surrounding substrate to make sure that a lizard wasn’t buried in it. I must have crushed Gilda moving the wood to a different position.
Hard lesson to learn.

05/07/10  09:46am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Loriloveslizards   In reference to Message Id: 2145902

Know why she died

sorry to hear about your wall lizard :(
That really sucks.

05/07/10  02:16pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Awww man. Really sorry to hear that Lori.

01/30/11  04:06am

Gerbil5
View Profile

She must have had "white tail rot" (also known as "tail rot" or "white death", but has been given no official name), a fatal disease that has the diagnosed with a white color creeping up the tail. It is most common in bearded dragons, but many lizards are subject to catch it.

05/05/11  03:13pm

Gus308
View Profile

Message To: Gerbil5   In reference to Message Id: 2217526

That certainly is a hard lesson, I had someone else caring for my Grozny’s while I was at college and the mistake was made of putting in the rocks AFTER the substrate during setup. If you don’t put the rocks/wood in first so as to have them on the bottom, then burrowing lizards, such as many of the Lacertids, will burrow the substrate out from under it and it will drop down onto them and kill them under ground where you will not notice.

Sorry to hear it, but it is one everyone should keep in mind when setting up their vivariums.

Rocks/Wood First!!! Substrate Last!!!

Hopefully no more of us have to learn the hard way.

~Gus

03/17/12  11:45pm

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area