Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lacerta Forum

Etunes   Gus308   Etunes   Gus308  
 Member  Message

Etunes
View Profile

Lacereta care

I wwas just curious if you could supply some care info about them and if there are diffrent species?

01/26/10  03:49pm

Gus308
View Profile

Message To: Etunes   In reference to Message Id: 2117536

Lacereta care

Lacertids are an entire family of lizards that vary greatly in size and habitat, so you should probably narrow down your interest a bit. The only lacertas I own are Grozny’s lacertas (Lacerta strigata) they are more of a desert species native to the area between the Caspian and Black Seas. Other relatively popular species in the Lacerta family include the larger Green Lacerta and Jeweled Lacertas.

This is my male Grozny.
I’d be glad to answer any more specific questions to the best of my ability or maybe just point you towards someone that could help.

~Gus

01/29/10  05:20pm

Etunes
View Profile

Message To: Gus308   In reference to Message Id: 2118458

Lacereta care

Heck ya teach me more. I have only been able to find 2 species. Green lizards (Lacerta viridis) and the Gronzys lacertas. I think i like the green lizards better. Can you tell me any more species?

01/31/10  05:45pm

Gus308
View Profile

Message To: Etunes   In reference to Message Id: 2119102

Lacereta care

Lacerta viridis is actually the species that got me into lacertas, but by the time I was done with my research I had decided to get the Groznys instead.

My research pretty much just covered the grozny’s so I am still unfamiliar with most of the family, but another good species to look at might be the jeweled lacerta ( I would start here), they are beautiful and can get up to 2’ long. Agama International is were I bought my original lacertas, but Bert died just last year and the company is basically liquidated. He was one of the only breeders I know of in the U.S. and for sure the only major breeder of lacertas in the U.S.

For the most part, the lacerta family is not very widely known, much less bred, so you’ll have to do your research time to find much about them. If nothing else, wikipedia has an article titled "Lacerta (genus)" with a list of several species.

Good luck,

~Gus

02/01/10  09:21pm

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area