Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lacerta Forum

Ameivaboy   Ameivaboy   Ameivaboy   Olmrudyk   Ameivaboy   Slidewinder   Icu844   Ameivaboy   Johelian   Ameivaboy   Ameivaboy   Akal Ashata Alis   Leah_Lizard   Juschillintopcty   Opal   Gtrmike88   Gecko99   ThatGreenAnoleGuy   Anolisandphelsuma  
 Member  Message

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Lacerta Keepers???

This forum is dead....

I would like it if some lacerta keepers actually started to post on here to exchange ideas and information regarding lacertids.

So anyways, my lacerta collection currently consists of 0.1 Timon lepidus and
2.1 Podarcis sicula campestris

What do you have???

01/16/08  08:57pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1581536

Lacerta Keepers???

Here’s some wall lizard pictures

and a jeweled lacerta

01/18/08  06:28pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1584136

Lacerta Keepers???

02/02/08  06:09pm

Olmrudyk
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1606388

Lacerta Keepers???

Hi,
I have Gallotia galloti eisentrauti, Gallotia atlantica and Lacerta agilis chersonensis
Alex

02/19/08  01:13am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Olmrudyk   In reference to Message Id: 1629272

Lacerta Keepers???

How bout sharing some pictures :)

02/22/08  06:01pm

Slidewinder
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1633805

Lacerta Keepers???

Boy, some great shots. Before finding this forum I haven’t found anyone who keeps lacertas.
These are both females. I found them about 8 months ago at a pet shop. They were in a 1 gallon tank with no lights and sitting in wet coconut husk. They looked pretty miserable but I took a liking to them and bought them, mostly because my daughter felt sorry for them and kept after me to get them.
Here’s a shot of them today. I know they’re in the Acanthodactylus family and I believe they’re called Egyptian fringe toes. They love sand and dry conditions although they have a small pool they drink from every couple of days. They’re in a 65 gal tank and although they were basking/sleeping when the shots were taken they spend most of the day digging(sand is about 5 inches deep) and climbing around the tank. Their kept under a mega ray bulb and have gone through a number of sheds but are still about 5-6 inches max.
I’d like to get a couple more, but I’m in Canada and haven’t seen any more since I picked these up.
I was just wondering whether they can be kept with other Lacertas of the same size.
Also, in one of the other shots it looks like they’re eating some sort of fruit. I didn’t know they’d touch anything but insects. Would any other keepers know what fruit they might like that wouldn’t be dangerous for them?

02/27/08  10:52pm

Icu844
View Profile

Lacerta Keepers???

Here are some photos of Gallotina eisentrauti. I have 1.2 Very interesting lacetaids. They are very good eaters as well as fruit lovers. The male is substantially darker with more prenounced blue dots on its sides. The females tend to be lined. They are very quick to hide, never bite and really require minimal maintenance. The male and then the ladies. I am also looking for other lacertids. Although my website is unrelated to lizards , I can be reached at: world wide web at jtresser dot com /drosophila dot html

The females:

Whats really interesting is that they both squeak. So they do have some vocal qualities.

Although not a lacertaid, here is a photo of one of my big boy broadhead skinks. JERRY

04/14/08  07:42pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Icu844   In reference to Message Id: 1703337

Lacerta Keepers???

Very Nice Gallotia Jerry.
I would love to see some terrarium pictures if you have any. What species are you looking for? I would love to get my hands on some viridis or bilineata. I currently have 2 clutches of podarcis eggs incubating hopefully they will hatch soon.

04/22/08  10:33pm

Johelian
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1713007

Lacerta Keepers???

Really like the G.eisetrauti, there are some great pics of them on lacerta.de.

I very recently picked up a trio of T.lepidus, one of which laid a clutch of ~22 eggs the day after I got them which took us a bit by surprise! Theyre lovely little lizards, very active. I would also like to see more terrarium pics - I havent yet begun building the scenery for my cage, and so wouldnt mind some inspiration.

Ameivaboy what are you using for substrate? I was toying with the idea of sand but I also bought a bag of topsoil and am trying to decide what to use. Perhaps a mixture of both.

04/23/08  07:23am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Johelian   In reference to Message Id: 1713211

Lacerta Keepers???

I’ve been using redwood mulch for the lepidus but i dont like it whatsoever for it.
The podarcis have organic top soil which i like.
I’m going to start working on a new terrarium soon for the podarcis that should be a lot of fun :)

04/23/08  09:38pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1714139

Lacerta Keepers???

just had a couple of the podarcis hatch

05/18/08  11:18am

Akal Ashata Alis
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1739008

Lacerta Keepers???

Seems like I’m a late comer - I currently own an Egyptian Red Sand Lacerta - Lacerta Longustica. He seems pretty happy, though a bit high strung at the moment.

I can’t find a lot of info out there on them, unfortunately, and have been looking around to see if I can find more info - Are they somewhat social? are the Temprature ranges in my tank fine, do they want/need more space? How do they ’deal’ with glass? Mine likes trying to climb the smooth surface.

What sorts of cage lining materials work best? Ect.

Alis

07/15/08  10:51am

Leah_Lizard
View Profile

Message To: Akal Ashata Alis   In reference to Message Id: 1796086

Lacerta Keepers???

can a lacerta live in a 10 gal. tank and are there any species partial to humid climates?

08/07/08  09:44am

Juschillintopcty
View Profile

Lacerta Keepers???

I recently went on what’s called the running of the lizards.We were looking for & capturing italian wall lizards & lecertas.Of couse we found no lacertas,but I met a man that has 2 of them he caught in his neighbor hood.his name is James Gubanyi.He brought a male that he’s had for 7yrs to show us.So cool.He said years ago he had a female,but I can’t remember what happened that he lost her.There is info & pics at Alien Lizards of Topeka if you haven’t already looked.I don’t know all the scientific names I have atime jus keepin my kids names straight.Some of the pics otyers have posted though seem to me to be the Italian wall lizards.
Well maybe you can connect with Jim about his lacertas.good luck

09/11/08  12:26pm

Opal
View Profile

Message To: Akal Ashata Alis   In reference to Message Id: 1796086

Lacerta Keepers???

I work at PetSmart and we just got a red lacerta in (Latastia longicaudata).
They live in a Temprate enviroment. Ideal temp. should range between 75 to 85 degrees. Additionally a basking lamp should be used to maintain a local temp. of 90 degrees. nightime temp. should remain beetween 65 and 75 degrees. the humidity for these lizards should be between 45 and 55 %.
They need 8-10 hrs of ultraviolet lighting to maintain good health. They eat crickets, mealworms, and waxworms. Should be fed 3-4 times a week.
Habitat for the red lacerta is a 15 to 20 gallon aquarium with a screen lid. These lizards are best kept singularly. however, for multiple pets, incresase habitat size accordingly to ensure each individual has plenty of space to move about and not interfere with tankmates.
Substrate for these lizards is Repti-bark or Bed-a-Beast, should be 2" to 3" inches thick.
Red lacertas can tame down rather quickly with frequent, gentle handling.
At my store in Utah the red lacerta is being sold for $27.

11/11/08  02:49am

Gtrmike88
View Profile

Lacerta Keepers???

nice! where could i get one of those lizards, theyre coool

11/23/08  06:57pm

Gecko99
View Profile

Message To: Gtrmike88   In reference to Message Id: 1903815

Lacerta Keepers???

Could you house any kind of lacarta in a 10 gallon tank

03/22/09  10:52am

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: Gecko99   In reference to Message Id: 1972684

Lacerta Keepers???

Here are my Grozny’s lacertas. They’er ’06 babies. I spend most of my time in the red tail boa and boa constrictor forums as well as the enclosure forum, but I thought I’d drop by and see how things were with my fellow lacerta owners. I don’t check this forum much but feel free to PM me and get my attention off boas if need be.

Here’s the male:

The female:

Inside:

And outside:

Don’t worry, I put some bushes in the vivarium after the pictures were taken.

~Gus

03/30/09  09:10pm

Anolisandphelsuma
View Profile

Lacerta Keepers???

I have kept both species! They are both fun to keep...though not together. :)

04/12/09  05:19pm

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area