Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lacerta Forum

Shiftylarry   Ameivaboy   Shiftylarry   Ameivaboy  
 Member  Message

Shiftylarry
View Profile

A really really basic question

Hi, Iím very into reptiles. I currently keep argus monitor, black roughneck monitor, and a blue tongue skink. I know absolutely nothing about lacertas other than then are slightly related to tegus (I think) and fairly small. I am looking at getting another small-ish lizard 3ft or less that is fairly even tempered and attractive as well (if thatís even possible). I assume these guys are insectivorous, but I really have no clue whatsoever. Any and all help is appreciated greatly. Oh, and donít worry, Iím not about to go out and impulse buy one of these critters, thatís not my style. Sorry that this is such a basic and boring question.

Thanks again
-Chris

11/09/07  12:11am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1506932

Hey larry,

Lacertids are in their own family and are not related to tegus, which species are you looking into?
the largest commonly availbe would prob be the jeweled lacerta. They are insectivores that my occasionally take some fruit. (I have also gotten mine to eat a musk turtle egg) My female runs right into her burrow as soon as I open the cage, the male is more bold and will only run away if my hand gets too close to him, but he will eat off tongs occasionally, they are fun lizards and unlike my tegus these guys are out and about all day long

11/11/07  11:03am

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1509529

Woops, I think I was thinking of Amievas. Yeah, jeweled lacertas are definitely an attractive choice.

11/11/07  11:33am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1509562

well,

I dont know where on earth you would get info on ameivas :)

-Kevin

11/16/07  10:29am

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area