Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lacerta Forum

Ameivaboy   ThatGreenAnoleGuy   Podarcis-fan   ThatGreenAnoleGuy   Podarcis-fan   ThatGreenAnoleGuy   ThatGreenAnoleGuy   Ameivaboy   Ameivaboy   Ameivaboy   ThatGreenAnoleGuy   Ameivaboy   ThatGreenAnoleGuy  
 Member  Message

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Timon Lepidus

Just got this pair so I figured I get this forum moving a bit with some pictures

07/24/07  03:57pm

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1372586

Timon Lepidus

This is my pair of Groznyís (Lacerta strigata). They are six months old.

Despite the name I donít like anoles and am a Lacerta fan. Tropical lizards are hard to keep in the High Desert.

07/28/07  07:17pm

Podarcis-fan
View Profile

Message To: ThatGreenAnoleGuy   In reference to Message Id: 1378607

Timon Lepidus

Hi Mr. the green anole guy,

You have an very,very ugly and dirty enclosure for your strigatas....
They will live only a few years in this "lacereta-jail"...

Look at this:

Kind Regards from Germany

Podarcis-fan

07/31/07  05:48pm

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: Podarcis-fan   In reference to Message Id: 1382411

Timon Lepidus

It was entirely approved of by Bert at Agama International Link. The end that cannot be seen in the picture is a large rock pile. And I am curious as to why you think itís dirty. What species do you have?

07/31/07  06:05pm

Podarcis-fan
View Profile

Message To: ThatGreenAnoleGuy   In reference to Message Id: 1382434

Timon Lepidus

I`m keeping/breeding Wall-Lizards (Podarcis ssp.) from Germany,Italy,Greece and Spain

And this pair lives wild around my house in the garden...(Lacerta agilis agilis):

08/01/07  04:56pm

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: Podarcis-fan   In reference to Message Id: 1384042

Timon Lepidus

I hinestly am curious what you recomend for this vivarium and why you think it is dirty, because Bert said it was a good set up and he has been breeding hundreds of herps since the eighties.

08/03/07  04:25pm

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: ThatGreenAnoleGuy   In reference to Message Id: 1386964

Timon Lepidus

It has two inches of lightly packed sand, two shallow water dishes, a rock pile that is full of dens and creveses, a cave with higher humidity for shedding, a 104*F basking spot large sticks (antlers) for climbing, and now it also has half a dozen small bushes. What more does it need?

08/03/07  04:30pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: ThatGreenAnoleGuy   In reference to Message Id: 1386974

Timon Lepidus

Quote:

It was entirely approved of by Bert at Agama International

Well, with my dealings with bert pertaining to my lacertas I must say that I find him to be quite the
$%&^%

After receiving these lacertas the male died in 3 days. The day I madre this post was the day I received them. the next day I noticed the male was not well and immediatly contacted bert. So Instead of being a stand up dealer, he shifts the blame on me and kept trying to guilt trip me about his cancer.
He then precedes to tell me to send him 60 bucks for a replacement male and even after I told him that that was unacceptable because I received an ill lizard he basically said "take it or leave it". In this time the female had not eaten at all and I was hesitant to order the male (esp. cause he was charging me unfairly) The female seemed to be "OK" just was not eating. So I really wanted to work with this species for many years and decided to give it a shot. The male he sent me does not appear to all that healthy and now the female seems to be declining as well. Bert had mentioned in one of his emails that it was hard for him to care for the aniamls like he had because of his cancer and it is showing. I never thought that dealing with someone as "big name" as him would have been such a disappointment and a pain in the a$$. I have lost a lot of respect for him and have heard from several other poeple that have had bad deals with him lately as well..............

So now with seeming decline of the female and the new male looks like I am out over 250 dollars, I certainly hope things turn around after this weekend when I plan on hitting them both with some baytril.
But I have my reservations about how this will all turn out, Thanks for nothing Agama international.

08/09/07  08:28pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1396457

Timon Lepidus

I thought iíd add some pictures showing the rapid decline of the male, as I know how *beloved* bert is throughout the hobby and i"m sure if someone that seeís this will have something spiteful to say about what I have posted, which is nothing but the truth.

Hereís the male the second day after arrival (one day after I contacted bert about him not looking well)

Then on the third day, the male seemed to be feeling quite a bit better in the morning and looked a lot better

but later that day the male regurgitated clear bile and shortly there after went into a seizure and died.
This is a disturbing video to me but is relevant, if you look closely you can see the toes shaking right before he died.

08/09/07  10:20pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1396639

Timon Lepidus

video link didnt seem to work so here

Lacerta Seizure

08/09/07  10:45pm

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1396681

Timon Lepidus

I am not arguing with you but my Groznyís arived in good condition and were eating very well until about a month ago they stopped eating but I am getting them to eat again.

Any how, rather than telling me why I am wrong, could you tell me what is wrong so I can fix it. In all honesty it is the best I could do with the limited info I had, as Iím sure you know how little there is about Groznyís on the internet, and Bert was the best sorce I had and I had never delt with him before. So seeing as you know more, could you help.

Thanks, GT

08/12/07  11:10am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: ThatGreenAnoleGuy   In reference to Message Id: 1399972

Timon Lepidus

I think Podarcis issue with your cage is the fact that it is not very aesthetically pleasing. European keepers as a whole go all out on the naturalistic vivaria, as is seen in his enclosure picture. but as long as you have proper temps,hides,humidity etc I dont think it matters that much to the lizards. Personally i prefer the more naturalistic look when it can be provided but I cant do it with all my animals based on the sheer numbers.

Also quick update, the new male is doing well so far, the female had began to decline pretty horribly but she has received 2 baytril injections and seems to be doing a lot better now, she will get another injection tomarrow, so hopefully she will be all good after that and begin eating

08/15/07  09:31pm

ThatGreenAnoleGuy
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 1405323

Timon Lepidus

Ideal conditions for the herp come before aesthetics and I believe that it is well suited for the Groznyís needs. Unless you have any suggestions?

08/18/07  06:26pm

Back to Lacerta Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area