Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Komodo Dragon Forum

Rudolphtamer04   RePtiLOVER   Rudolphtamer04   Spartan34   SHvar   Younglife   SHvar   Venisa   Younglife   SHvar   DandyHighwayman   Entertheste   SHvar   Paleo_master   LiZZoo2   Enrico   Jkincheloe  
 Member  Message

Rudolphtamer04
View Profile

Quick Question...

How come you can get alligators, crocodiles, and monitors but not Komodo Dragons? I mean they all are potentially dangerous and yet they sell monitors in a pet store for 20 bucks...makes no sense to me whatsoever. Then you can get venomous snakes for little to nothing...*shakes head* I am confuzzled.

12/02/05  07:12pm

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Rudolphtamer04   In reference to Message Id: 562101

Quick Question...

Komodoes are endangered. THey are considered national tresure.

12/04/05  09:18pm

Rudolphtamer04
View Profile

Message To: RePtiLOVER   In reference to Message Id: 564175

Quick Question...

I know they are endangered but the same goes for many other dangerous reptiles that are freely owned.

12/05/05  10:01am

Spartan34
View Profile

Message To: Rudolphtamer04   In reference to Message Id: 564518

Quick Question...

no theyre not, usually you must get a license to even get a hold of one

12/05/05  08:05pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Spartan34   In reference to Message Id: 565072

Depends where you live..

Some or many local governments arent scared of their residents big scaly pets. Some places require permits, licenses, or do not allow any monitors, constrictors even over 30 inches (a local area near me), or crocodilians, and any venomous animals. Of course New York will only get worse (one big example).
The komodo is an example of an endangered species that is a national treasure, all komodos are by law property of the government of Indonesia, regardless of them being CBB elsewhere or wild caught.
You need permission from President Sohartu, the National zoo, the international komodo conservation effort, as well approval beforehand that you can keep them properly, contribute to their efforts, which include keeping them out of the hands of private owners and those who are in it to exploit them. Also youd have to allow the public to see them for exhibit Im sure.

12/06/05  01:27am

Younglife
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 565361

Depends where you live..

the only way to get a komodo dragon is if you are a special scientist such as a zoologist and the komodo dragon is hurt...you also ned to get a lisence

12/08/05  06:40pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Younglife   In reference to Message Id: 567907

Oh really, so tell me..

Where are these "komodo" licenses? There are none.
Every instituition or person who kepps any komodo is a member of the international komodo conservation effort. They are first of all CITES 1, second of all protected by international law, 3rd they are all property of the governement of Indonesia. In order to get one you must be approved beforehnad by those involved with the conservation effort, after which you need to be educared by these people and build a suitable habitat. Also you must prove that you will not breed them unless organized by the conservation program and new bloodlines, all komodos are to be kept out of the general publics hands, and out of the hands of those fools who just want a big cool lizard that is doomed in their care. Im sure that if you were to obtain one through all of the steps, and it became injured or was injured you would not have it long or would have been given another example.
Every town, city, county, state, etc has its own laws on keeping this type of animal. Of course where I live reptiles that are non native are considered interstate trade and comerce, there are a few local communities with funny laws though.

12/12/05  01:05am

Venisa
View Profile

Message To: Rudolphtamer04   In reference to Message Id: 562101

Quick Question...

could one man bring down a adult komodo dragon? and walk away
could one man bring down an adult croc? and walk away

01/23/06  02:07am

Younglife
View Profile

Message To: Venisa   In reference to Message Id: 617400

Quick Question...

by lisence i mean you need to be a special type of scientist but and if you find one hurt and you can prove that you can take care of it well enough they will grant you permission to house one.....and yes they can take down a full sized wildabeast so yes it cna take down a human....chris

02/22/06  11:20pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Younglife   In reference to Message Id: 663208

WRONG,,lol...

"by lisence i mean you need to be a special type of scientist but and if you find one hurt and you can prove that you can take care of it well enough they will grant you permission to house one"

Forget it, unless you can talk the President of Indonesia and the National zoo into letting you have one, your stuck with their closest relative, the lace monitor.

02/25/06  02:06am

DandyHighwayman
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 666116

WRONG,,lol...

this sounds a bit of a lame comment however i am sure that ive seen them in a zoo - so maybe if you are involved in a breeding programme its allowed - ive probably got it worng, not sure why anyone would want one really they do look nice but lets face it they would never make a good pet - not that i would know. They do breath fire right??!!!!!kidding

03/01/06  03:03pm

Entertheste
View Profile

Message To: DandyHighwayman   In reference to Message Id: 672783

WRONG,,lol...

could 1 man take town a komodo? probably with a gun but if the thing bites you, your looking at amputation of wherever it bit you or death in 72 hours

03/01/06  03:07pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: DandyHighwayman   In reference to Message Id: 672783

I will link you to yhr info Ive posted on this subject many times already

So many dont want to hear it when you explain to them that you just cant get one as a private owner, period, they are all property of the government of Indonesia, even those captive bred in the authorized zoos that have them (you must be authorized by presidential decree in Indonesia, approved by the National zoo (who heads up the world wide effort), and the international komodo conservancy. They are selectively bred in some zoos now to keep constantly available zoo populations up, but to prevent them from ever falling into the hands of private owners by keeping the numbers controlled. They are listed under international dangerous animal laws like tigers, and lions, elephants, rhinos, etc. They are CITES 1, which has no trade allowed period in those species, but some CITES 1 animals are less protected.
You must learn from the above listed groups and earn their approval, by learning in Indonesia working with the program, learning at the zoos worldwide that deal with them, physically prove that you have housing that fits these groups criteria, you must have them available to the public to see (zoos, natural gradens, etc), and you must prove to those above groups that your goal is to help with conservation of that species, captive propogation within the set down standards and provide the offspring to those organizations that fit the criteria, retire breeders when theyve been bred with so many unrelated other dragons.
Now, do you think you can fit these criteria? Or do you think you can afford to do this on your own money?
Theres no license, theres no permit, its a tight elite group that deals with them only.
Could you imagine if Frank Retes were able to keep a pair or a trio, they would have to take them away, in no time at all the population boom that would result, lol.

03/05/06  06:17am

Paleo_master
View Profile

Message To: Venisa   In reference to Message Id: 617400

Quick Question...

a man cant kill a croc with is bare hands. the crocs skeleton is too sturdy to break that way and the thick armor on the crocs back protects it also. if the croc is in water the man doesnt stand a chance but if the croc is on land it will be slow and will tire out easily. the croc will still probably win. the croc also has the dearth roll on its side . if the croc gets ahold of you it will roll quickly while horribly terring u apart. the croc also has a powerful tal that can take you out at the knees. the croc has the greatest bite force ever measured- 3200lbs of force per square inch. no matter what a croc will beat an unarmed man.

komodo dragons are all around stronger than a man . a flick of its tail could take a man out at the knees, their saliva is extreamly toxic and will kill a man with in a few hours of being bitten. the komodo dragons teeth are designed to inflict horrible beep wounds and quick blood loss. the animals claws can also inflict some horrible damage too. the dragon would definately kill a grown man too.

07/02/06  04:13am

LiZZoo2
View Profile

Message To: Paleo_master   In reference to Message Id: 862594

Quick Question...

ok, so wait a minute.... I had no Idea these were an endangered spieces.... So how the hell did my moms friend have one.... I know FOR SURE thats what it was too... So what the hell is going on? How could that of been a komodo dragon? WHat do the other ones look like? Cause this one was about 4 feet long, with huge claws and they fed it a rabbit.....(that terrified me, I was 9) That think could take off and arm or leg... So what was it? This lizard is in Oregon by the way.

01/28/07  03:19am

Enrico
View Profile

Message To: Paleo_master   In reference to Message Id: 862594

Quick Question...

bro, a pitbull has close to that force of bite, around 2500lbs.

04/02/07  09:19pm

Jkincheloe
View Profile

Message To: Enrico   In reference to Message Id: 1231658

Theyre venomous apparently....

Researchers have discovered that the bite of the world’s largest lizard, the Komodo dragon, is venomous.
The carnivorous beasts are unusual because they release their prey after biting them, apparently leaving the animals to bleed to death before eating them. But many experts have claimed the victims die after being infected with bacteria that cover the lizards’ serrated teeth.
Scientists at the University of Melbourne used computer models to investigate the strength of the lizards’ bite and found it was weak compared with other predators, such as the Australian saltwater crocodile.
But magnetic resonance imaging scans revealed complex venom glands in the dragons’ mouths that had never been documented before.
Bryan Fry, who led the team, surgically removed the glands from a terminally ill dragon in a zoo. Tests showed they contained a similar poison to that found in Gila monsters and snakes, according to a report in Proceedings of the National Academy Sciences.
The powerful venom has a devastating effect on prey, causing a sudden drop in blood pressure that sends them into shock. At the same time, the venom stops the victim’s blood clotting, so it bleeds to death.

YOU ALL JUST GOT OWNED

03/15/11  02:26pm

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area