Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Komodo Dragon Forum

Basilisk15   SHvar   Rapsucksrockrules   SHvar   Apb   Pythonking   Mama42   Fairy Frog Mother   JackAsp   Gottee guy   Wry Man   Jelly_shrimp   Fairy Frog Mother   Click*  
 Member  Message

Basilisk15
View Profile

Wondering

I wonder if any komodo dragons are good pets or all of them are too vicous.

03/08/05  10:22pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Basilisk15   In reference to Message Id: 268961

Vicious, hmmm, a term that only describes humans..

Any monitor is an individual, they look at us as a threat or as food, depends on their size and species, also from former experience by encountering us, very few think we are food even komodos.
Komodos are apex predators in their part of this world, therefore they eat everything available, many times their own species. They all kill to survive, we kill for sport, we are vicious. Even komodos can make good pets, but the problem is room and resources for a monitor that can grow to over 10ft long and 200lbs plus with an empty stomach. Proper care is a problem for all but a very few with large monitors.

03/09/05  01:54am

Rapsucksrockrules
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 269129

Vicious, hmmm, a term that only describes humans..

not good pets at all. They can easily kill and eat you without anyone knowing. Anyways they cost at least $50,000 and they are illegal.

04/18/05  10:47pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Rapsucksrockrules   In reference to Message Id: 315043

Spoken from what information????

If you had the right caging, the correct foods, and enough of it, as well had experience caring for such a huge heavy and powerful animal, you could yes make a pet from one. After all nile monitors in New Jersey partially ate their owner after he died of a heart attack in the room they lived in, they were only hungry, not being vicious. Many individuals have died in the presence of dogs and cats, to be chowed on, but you dont hear alot about it because more people like dogs and cats and do not like or misunderstand reptiles.
Of course if you have never dealt with large varanids, or have no experience with monitors at all and try to get one your pissing in the wind as well stupid.
I have a monitor thats as large as the average female komodo, but lighter in weight, she could take half of my hand off in one bite, so it has to do with what you are able to do and care for. Most people who have reptiles DO NOT HAVE THE ROOM OR CAPABILITY TO KEEP KOMODOS PROPERLY, PERIOD. Of course many zoos are not aloud to have them because they dont meet the requirements.

05/17/05  03:26am

Apb
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 344759

These dragon cant be kept as pets

they eat things like water buffalo and things of that nature. no cage that a person with a normal paycheck can contain 1. they are 10ft long. if one dose bite u and u do escape, u will die anyway. contrary to what people say, they are not poisonous or venomous by nature, they get deadly bacteria and toxins in their mouths from eating. in shot if your bit u WILL die no matter how much help u get. they will hunt people, unlike that monitor lizard, they wont eat their owner because they have nothing else but because humans are an easy prey item.

12/30/08  09:18pm

Pythonking
View Profile

Message To: Apb   In reference to Message Id: 1923456

don’t listen feed it lepercauns. and if you do read reptile mag. i am sure about two issues ago it said that komodos were venomous. read plz. and first you guys are completely stupid if you think im serious this is a play forum where we screw around. mama will come. you would also need permits and a crap load of money. aaaaaaaaaaaaaahfljhakljhdlkhlfkhldhfldhaslkfdhklhflkdhlafhldkflkhaslk;dfhlksajflkdjlkfhlkhlahfl poop poop i smell poop

12/30/08  11:22pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Pythonking   In reference to Message Id: 1923512

just make sure you have the right setup before you get one. they will need nothing bigger than a 10 gallon tank...with lid of course! it will eat crickets and and children, gutloaded with leper-a-chons. just keep all the food, including leper-a-chons in a shoebox. dont use any rainbows cause theyre allergic.

and please...NO PURPLE CALCISAND for god sake!

12/31/08  01:12am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1923557

What do you think about feeding Pixies? My neighbor feeds their Hypo-melanistic 66%het for firebreathing KD pair Pixies. Its really fun to watch the little wings sticking out of their mouths. Of course they use F/T to prevent the Pixies from hurting the dragon. Then again...theres no pots of gold to be found that way. Shame that. Mabey Ill stick with Leprechauns.

03/11/09  02:45pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 1966773

I only feed Pixies to large frogs.

03/15/09  12:32am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1968696

i sometimes feed chocolate choads.

03/21/09  10:26pm

Wry Man
View Profile

Message To: Apb   In reference to Message Id: 1923456

While before it was thought that the dragons did not have venom, venom glands and ducts have just been found! Looks like an anticoagulant, so if you did escape you would probably bleed to death.

Source: new article on the BBC

05/19/09  11:18am

Jelly_shrimp
View Profile

Message To: Wry Man   In reference to Message Id: 2007479

You wouldn’t bleed to death...a lot of non-venomous snakes have anticoagulants, on of the hognose snakes have an anticoagulant in their saliva (I think its the eastern one, but don’t quote me on that) it does coagulate at one point, just takes much longer. What kills you is there shat breath (so much bacteria) and there’s pretty much nothing you can do about it...

05/24/09  01:10pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jelly_shrimp   In reference to Message Id: 2010337

Quote:

...contrary to what people say, they are not poisonous or venomous by nature, they get deadly bacteria and toxins in their mouths from eating.

Quote:

You wouldn’t bleed to death...a lot of non-venomous snakes have anticoagulants, on of the hognose snakes have an anticoagulant in their saliva

Actually, a study by the National Academy of Sciences has found that Komodo Dragons are actually Venomous. I just read an article on it. I, like you had thought it was deadly bacteria...but they have found they actually do envenomate their prey. The venom has Anti Coagulent properties causing their prey to bleed to death. That paired with the deep gashes that sever veins does cause you to bleed to death from an animal that is over ten feet long. And if the envenomation does not kill you, the gangrene from the bacteria will finish you off.

A Hog nose snake does not have a set of teeth in a head over a foot and a half long either- so No a human is not going to be killed by a hognose. But it sure as *bleep* is effective on rodents. Cant compare apples with coconuts. Well you could actually...an apple that drops on your head is pretty unlikely to kill you. A coconut that drops on your head is likely to crack your skull and kill you.

Sooo In a way...EVERYONE IS RIGHT!!!
Wheeeee.

05/30/09  12:12am

Click*
View Profile

Message To: Basilisk15   In reference to Message Id: 268961

Wondering

Komodo dragons would make no worse a pet than a monitor lizard. Most are more dangerous because they can easily develop a fatal bacteria in their mouths, but they are in no way venomous. They are illegal to own because they are endangered. They will become overly aggressive when hungry and will eat anything given too them. They also require lots of room to roam. Most zoos are not permitted to own them because they don’t meet minimum requirements.

11/01/10  01:18am

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area