Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Komodo Dragon Forum

Lozzer   Bluedragon1587   Animallover   Moesef   Mr.crumpet   Loony boy   SHvar   Igotwd40   Nilelizard   Snakelover3000   Nilelizard   Rockie   SHvar   Wishyouhadaturtle   RePtiLOVER   Razeraze   RePtiLOVER   Gaboon   Water dragon king   Jarrell   Lougotzz   Coin   Xbox360   SHvar   Gargoyle freek   Hypokeetee   Hypokeetee   SHvar   Guit4rguy   SHvar  
Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Member  Message

Lozzer
View Profile

Venomous

Ive read somewhere that they have a venomous bite is this true???

02/10/05  05:26pm

Bluedragon1587
View Profile

Message To: Lozzer   In reference to Message Id: 245323

Venomous

No, their bite isnt venomous, the only venomous lizards are the gila monsters and if i remember correctly beaded lizard (could be wrong on that one). The komodo dragon does have bacteria in its saliva that can cause major infections if bitten, but it isn’t caused by venom

02/10/05  10:18pm

Animallover
View Profile

Venomous

No they ain’t venomous, but ’cause they eat dead things they have a lot of bactieria in their saliva.

02/11/05  12:16pm

Moesef
View Profile

Message To: Animallover   In reference to Message Id: 245969

Venomous

They have killer breath, they can kill prey with it

02/19/05  04:30pm

Mr.crumpet
View Profile

Message To: Moesef   In reference to Message Id: 252831

Venomous

Wat r u on about???!!!
killer breath?
There not reel dragons!
*L*M*A*O*
dan

P.S.it is the beaded lizard blue dragon1587

02/28/05  12:16pm

Loony boy
View Profile

Venomous

no, but they have so much Bactria that you could consider it poison.

03/08/05  09:51pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Loony   In reference to Message Id: 268891

No bacteria cause an infection..

In the case of WILD komodos that eat lots of half rotten animals, they keep a very virulent bacteria that without modern medical help causes a fast superinfection that can kill.
Its not poison.

03/09/05  01:56am

Igotwd40
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 269130

its worse than poison. It killes you alot faster than beaded lizards and gila mosters. I watched it on animal planet. Some indiot touches a komodoes toung were he has a cut and he has to be rushed to a hospital were they cut off his hand. what a retard

04/10/05  12:59am

Nilelizard
View Profile

Message To: Igotwd40   In reference to Message Id: 304679

Gilas, and beaded lizards rarely kill anyone. The venom is not real potent. They also have to chew to keep injecting venom. Komodos cause blood poisoning with the bacteria in their mouths. It is from rotten flesh decaying in their mouth. In zoo’s and other places that keep them in captivity the komodos have very little if any bacteria in their mouth. This is because in the wild they eat meet that is already filled with bacteria. Usually the animal they bite will not die for about a week. In this amount of time the infection must be really nasty. Yuck!

04/10/05  11:16am

Snakelover3000
View Profile

Message To: Bluedragon1587   In reference to Message Id: 245636

Venomous

sorry that is not true i lov komodos their bite isnt venomous but their saliva is

04/10/05  04:35pm

Nilelizard
View Profile

Message To: Snakelover3000   In reference to Message Id: 305172

Venomous

Their saliva is not venomous. It is filled with bacteria. The bacteria causes infection, infection causes death. The saliva does not have venom in it. Sorry to you.

04/10/05  04:52pm

Rockie
View Profile

Message To: Nilelizard   In reference to Message Id: 305190

Venomous

ok you are all wrong yes in the wild they are venomous and that is how they kill things its not a bite it is in their saliva

07/10/05  08:56pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Rockie   In reference to Message Id: 397261

Do some research before you make a claim..

Infection, virulent infection, theres 2 venomous lizards on the entire planet, gila and beaded lizards, not komodos.

07/12/05  01:38am

Wishyouhadaturtle
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 398848

avctually their saliva is venoumes i have 2 komodos myself i gave them a rabbit before right when they drooled on it in whas burning but not burning burning it was kida of lossing its bones persay

08/08/05  03:39pm

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Wishyouhadaturtle   In reference to Message Id: 433447

Id love to see yuor 2 "komodos" Lmao

08/08/05  05:56pm

Razeraze
View Profile

Message To: RePtiLOVER   In reference to Message Id: 433604

here is my komodo, oh and i am the 7 foot chinese guy with the four arms and 26 toes.

08/08/05  08:31pm

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 433814

i knew there was someything unique about u razeraze
hahahahahahahaha

08/08/05  10:19pm

Gaboon
View Profile

Message To: Razeraze   In reference to Message Id: 433814

That doesnít look like a Komodo to me!

08/09/05  06:12pm

Water dragon king
View Profile

Message To: Gaboon   In reference to Message Id: 435156

IL SOLVE IS RIGHT NOW!!! komodo dragons saliva can kill because of Bactria and ONLY HAVE THIS IF THEY EAT ROOTING MEAT which i donít think alot do when kept as pets (so in captivity they not deadly) because no one has one legally so i dont know how anyone can buy that much food . pet stores will put water monitors in komodo dragons listed cages......komodo dragons are protected and no one person can catch it.

09/04/05  08:39pm

Jarrell
View Profile

Message To: Water dragon king   In reference to Message Id: 467179

wow how old are you guys 10. do you know even a speck about komodos dragon other than they are the biggest lizards in the world. and there kewl. haha but really you could atleast look at a animal planet special about them.

09/06/05  08:38pm

Lougotzz
View Profile

Message To: Jarrell   In reference to Message Id: 469919

Well I donít think the meat really roots them on.

09/17/05  03:16pm

Coin
View Profile

Message To: Lougotzz   In reference to Message Id: 481649

heres how it works....
Komodo dragons have got terrible teeth, which causes food to get stuck in bewteen them. This in turn causes the deadly bacteria from the rotting meat, and hence a lethal way of killing their prey

09/17/05  06:23pm

Xbox360
View Profile

jarrell they are not the biggest lizard in the world they weigh more(thats all) wow i think ur the 10 year old

10/09/05  02:16pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Xbox360   In reference to Message Id: 506012

They are the LARGEST lizard, not the longest..

These are terms to understand, the longest lizard officially was a 10ft 4 inch water monitor, now this creature was well under 100lbs.
The average adult male komodo reaches 9-10ft and with an empty stomach is around 200lbs, theres more to them than weight. Komodos have the shortest tail to body length ratio of any monitor, so if you look at a 10ft komodo you will have 5ft of STV length, a water monitor is around 38-40% body length from their total size. An 8ft water monitor will have a 60 inch tail and 36 inch STV length, quite a bit smaller lizard.
A croc monitor 8ft long is 70 inches of tail, 26 inches of STV length.
Here are some skulls from an adult male 10ft komodo, and a large water monitor, about 8ft. Note the huge difference between them.

10/09/05  11:45pm

Gargoyle freek
View Profile

hey stop piccing on these people they no a lot about these cold blooded creatures and you say 10 year olds dont no about komodos what are you 3 who do you think you are

10/16/05  07:31pm

Hypokeetee
View Profile

Message To: Gargoyle freek   In reference to Message Id: 513149

I take offense to that last comment, I happen to be 3 years old. How dare you! The nerve of some people.. The way I see it, is that there was a misundertanding about what Venomous really means...

Venoms are actual poisons developed in a specific GLAND in the animal for the purpouse of taking down prey, neurotoxic, hemotoxic, and another i think. One attacks nerves, one breaks down muscle, the other invades and breaks down blood...

Im sure there are other venoms out there.

the KOMODO, love that name, like said before have a very nasty bite, sharp jaget teeth, rotting flesh stuck in, and such a minestrone soup of bacteria that im sure feels "lovely"

Steve Irwin had an adventure in a KOMODO colony, almost got bit. Went into great detail about em...

The bacteria invade tyhe blood and just taint it. Making your blood dirty with a multiplying array of many types of horrible bacteria. your red cells break down, cant carry nutrients, cant carry oxygen, your tissues act as food for the spreading infection.

so thats what that is no venom, since it isnt specifically produced to kill by any form of a gland in the dragon, its just a coincidence of jaged teeth, rotting meat, and a weak enzyme level in the saliva that isnt able to break down the bacteri..

cheers.

10/21/05  04:34pm

Hypokeetee
View Profile

Message To: Gargoyle freek   In reference to Message Id: 513149

I take offense to that last comment, I happen to be 3 years old. How dare you! The nerve of some people.. The way I see it, is that there was a misundertanding about what Venomous really means...

Venoms are actual poisons developed in a specific GLAND in the animal for the purpouse of taking down prey, neurotoxic, hemotoxic, and another i think. One attacks nerves, one breaks down muscle, the other invades and breaks down blood...

Im sure there are other venoms out there.

the KOMODO, love that name, like said before have a very nasty bite, sharp jaget teeth, rotting flesh stuck in, and such a minestrone soup of bacteria that im sure feels "lovely"

Steve Irwin had an adventure in a KOMODO colony, almost got bit. Went into great detail about em...

The bacteria invade tyhe blood and just taint it. Making your blood dirty with a multiplying array of many types of horrible bacteria. your red cells break down, cant carry nutrients, cant carry oxygen, your tissues act as food for the spreading infection.

so thats what that is no venom, since it isnt specifically produced to kill by any form of a gland in the dragon, its just a coincidence of jaged teeth, rotting meat, and a weak enzyme level in the saliva that isnt able to break down the bacteri..

cheers.

10/21/05  04:34pm

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Hypokeetee   In reference to Message Id: 518297

You left out that it is a cocktail of species specific..

Bacteria that evolved with the dragon over time to live in its mouth as a symbiot, these bacteria (around 50 species) are found only in that area of Indonesia, the bite results without immediate first aid produce an infection that stinks in a mater of minutes, thats a strong, fast infection, it causes severe blood poisoning, and can sicken a full grown salt water deer (300-600lbs) to a point that it cannot see, stand, or walk in a matter of hours, usually by sundown if bitten after dawn. It one serious infection, these bacterial agents are unable to affect the komodo, researchers are studying what causes them to be able to live symbiotically with them, to be able to treat humans from our constantly evolving mutating bacterias that make us sick without being suceptible to the mutations, etc, and it would make all antibiotics outdated period.
By the way komodo teeth, lace monitor teeth, and croc monitor teeth are almost similar, being that the lace is the komodos ancestor, the komodo is the only one of the 3 that has solid teeth, the others have hollow teeth (break off easy). All monitors in the wild carry many species of bacteria in their mouths, their gums cover their teeth, they are constantly being cut and bleeding by their teeth and eating, so the bacteria have a constant warm damp, dark place to culture as well a constant supply of blood nutrients to live from. As a help the bacteria clean the monitors mouth for them from rotting materials etc. All monitors carry a form of anti coagulent that causes sometime profuse bleeding which actually helps prevent infection.

10/22/05  05:08am

Guit4rguy
View Profile

Message To: SHvar   In reference to Message Id: 518939

You left out that it is a cocktail of species specific..

turns out they are venomous after all.link

11/17/05  10:31am

SHvar
View Profile

Message To: Guit4rguy   In reference to Message Id: 545794

Do not take the article out of context..

Read the whole article.
There is a mucus gland in all monitors and bearded dragons on the side of the lower jaw that produces mucus, a component of that mucus is also one of many components found in the venom of rattlesankes, its not venom, it is mucus also one component of saliva used to swallow their prey.
The problem with this subject as brought up on other forums is that it is taken out of context and a broad sweeping thought that they are all venomous is the result by some people. Your own saliva has components that are poisonous when injected into small animals, it can sicken and kill them, does that make us venomous? No, understand the context of the article, even though it was written as it was to assist in gaining research money for the subject.

11/17/05  03:22pm
Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area