Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Komodo Dragon Forum

Chris H   Nile/water monitors   Chris H   Nile/water monitors   Maemile   Fairy Frog Mother   Volleyballjoe   Hippie Herps   Hippie Herps   Nile/water monitors   JackAsp   Nile/water monitors   Volleyballjoe  
 Member  Message

Chris H
View Profile

Taking a break from the bad jokes...

Taking a break from all the bad jokes that got old after the first 100 people posted them, I thought you guys might like to see some of the komodos that I have had the privilege to work with as a zoo keeper.

slasher in the back area for feeding:

and the public side of the enclosure:

And another one I was able to work with briefly:

and the skull of one cleaned by my dermestid colony for the zoo:

Both of these guys were excellent animals and completely trained to respond to commands as if they were dogs. Slasher could perform about 20 commands to allow us to shift him from one enclosure to another, inspect him, feed him, and get him to target among other things.

11/02/10  10:45am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2185139

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. Any chance you of getting a video of him fallowing some commands and posting it? Just curious, would you know if the temperament of the Varanus komodoensis is simular to that of the Varanus salvator - Varanus niloticus - Varanus salvadorii as a captive animal? In my experience with the 3 Varanus the Niloticus being the most defensive fallowed by the Salvadorii then the Salvator. I’v yet to see a living breathing komodoensis in person. Must be really exciting to work with them?

11/04/10  02:07pm

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2185653

Sorry but I am not really aloud to take pictures behind the scenes anymore, let alone videos. In my experience, these guys are almost as tame a savanna monitors but much bigger and much more energetic. Nothing quite compares to them though.

11/04/10  02:31pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2185658

Darn, OK, I wouldn’t want you to get in any trouble with your work. If I didn’t love building custom hot rods so much, I’d want your job!

11/04/10  03:21pm

Maemile
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2185668

WOW !! I am lucky to be a long term volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary specializing in big cats. Working with the animals like you and I is a priveledge and a pleasure.

11/14/10  11:36am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Maemile   In reference to Message Id: 2187436

Thank you for sharing these pictures. They are lovely, and you sir are blessed to be able to work with the big guys.

12/13/10  01:38pm

Volleyballjoe
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2185658

Do you work at the Atlanta Zoo? It looks very much like the back room where they kept there Komodos. I think its name was Slasher also that’s why I asked?

12/16/10  03:02pm

Hippie Herps
View Profile

Message To: Volleyballjoe   In reference to Message Id: 2192962

Chris,
When did you work with the Komodo at Zoo Atlanta. I have been here at Zoo Atlanta as a Reptile Keeper for about 5 years and haven’t worked with you. I know the crew that was here before me also and no one can remember a Chris for at least the last ten years. Just trying to place the face.
To other questions posted here... I will check with the "Powers that Be" to see if I can post a video of Slasher performing some of his commands. I have recently trained him to do some really exciting things that allow our department keepers and Vet Staff to perform physicals easier.
Jason

12/18/10  04:08pm

Hippie Herps
View Profile

Message To: Hippie Herps   In reference to Message Id: 2193201

By the way... That skull looks awfully familiar. It looks like the Bone Clones skull that Zoo Atlanta has for educational purposes. I don’t know of anyone that is allowed access to an actual Komodo Dragon skull, since even the bones are protected under the SSP and C.I.T.E.S.
Is that other Komodo the animals from St Augustine? It looks like their place.

12/18/10  04:13pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Hippie Herps   In reference to Message Id: 2193201

Quote:

To other questions posted here... I will check with the "Powers that Be" to see if I can post a video of Slasher performing some of his commands.

Jason,
that would be just awesome, would really enjoy seeing Slasher fallow commands. If you don’t mind me asking, what method of training do you use? Anything like target training?

Chris.........N/W M................

12/19/10  09:16am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2193227

Damn! I snooze off on the leprochaun jokes for a second, and we get a real thread!
I’m also interested in training methods.
With smaller lizards, I’ve found certain voice tones to be a conducive attention-getter, but haven’t found that the words actually mattered. With visual cues, I’ve had a bit more luck, but nothing worthy of putting on a show with.

02/02/11  02:57am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2202666

JackAsp,
I don’t think we are going to get a chance to see any training methods from the above posters, but you can see the results of the hands off method with my Nile monitor,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtRFhnZc-xc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZW-HUySVS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2IQqsj65Q

and if you want to see the results of the hands off methods with smaller lizards, go over to the Plated lizards forum and look at the post/pic.s/videos from "MDF".

Chris.....N/W M...............

02/08/11  08:29am

Volleyballjoe
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2203738

I’ll see Jason this weekend. I’ll see if we can record some interaction. They have two baby komodos at the zoo now also. You won’t here anything from original poster, probably because he doesn’t have any access to komodos. I am questionig if he ever did.

02/08/11  09:58am

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area