Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Komodo Dragon Forum

Basiliskboy911   Mama42   JackAsp   Basiliskboy911   Mama42   Basiliskboy911   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Basiliskboy911
View Profile

Need info on komodo dragon rescued from petstore

Ok so today i went to a pet store and they had him in a 800 gallon glass pond. So i bought him because they put him on BLUE calci sand not purple and everyone knows purple calci sand is way better than blue! So anways i put him in my 10 gallon tank with purple calcisand and some hamburgers for him to eat. I am wondering what else I could feed him, and what size tank he needs when he gets bigger, Maybe a 15 Gallon? But please answer these questions for the komodo dragons lizards health. Also is feeding him calcisand ok it says they can eat it but I don’t always trust what they say but what the crap why not feed him goldfish? THe petstore man said that they were the best things for them and that the thiamese in them helps them stay little because it is good for them to stay small because then they wont have to get a bigger tank. Also does he need uvb because the petstore man said he didn’t need one for his whole life because all they do anyway is sit alday in their tank because they can’t move. Pls help me TY!

12/02/08  08:16pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Basiliskboy911   In reference to Message Id: 1908245

so, are these questions for your komodo dragon or his lizard? like, his "pet" lizard???

12/03/08  12:50am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1908422

Feeding him goldfish will turn him into gold, which will attract leprochauns. If offered one at a time under proper supervision, leprochauns are an excellant dietary staple for Komodo Dragons, but if they attack him en masse they can inflict severe injuries with their beer mugs.
I’m not sure what size tank you will eventually need because the animal has not been accurately sexed, and that will be a significant factor in determining adult size. The easiest way to sex them is to visually inspect the inside of the vent. This is best approached through the intestinal tract, which you can enter quite easily by standing in front of their mouth, covering yourself with purple calcisand, and making a noise like a water buffalo.
You do not need a UVB light. You need UVD. UVB lighting is for bees. UVA lighting is for Fonzie. UVC lighting is for Mexicans. UCD lighting is for drsgons. If you use a UVB light, he will turn into a bee and sting you.
You didn’t metnion it, but I am assuming that you have a hot rock in his enclosure. If you do not, you must get one, ASAP. The entire island of Komodo, like most reptile habitats, is made entirely of Made-In-China hot rocks, and without one there is no possible way that you can realistically simulate his natural habitat.

12/03/08  02:36pm

Basiliskboy911
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 1908581

DA didin’t u read the manual it said to put heat rocks under the sand. DUH!

12/03/08  03:24pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Basiliskboy911   In reference to Message Id: 1908599

i was under the impression that the island of Komod was lined with a heating pad and the sand on top of it. though, heat rocks do add decor and stimulates them to hop on one leg from one rock to the other. being, that thats their natural way of getting around.

be careful with any UV as the "U" stands for USUALLY and the "V" stands for VIOLENT! wear protection!!

you can usually watch "animal planet" for ways to make water buffalo sounds. usually from the diaphragm....

using any spectrum from the rainbow is dangerous. they are allergic! dont use any of those colors!!!

12/03/08  05:06pm

Basiliskboy911
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1908663

ROY G BIV purple is not a color of the rainbow!

12/04/08  06:39am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Basiliskboy911   In reference to Message Id: 1908986

see, now I HAVE WITNESSES!

the whole "rainbow spectrum" crap is a hoax. don’t listen to them. they’re money scams. they just want you to boycott purple calcisand so your komodo will die of nutrient loss and starvation. then they’ll offer you another komodo and bolts and screws as substrate. THIS IS VERY BAD! then your next komodo will die of heat related stress from hopping around on these nuts and bolts, thus making you buy more and more komodos until your yard is full of skeletons, then they’ll start offering you fire breathing anoles...

12/04/08  05:06pm

Back to Komodo Dragon Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area