Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

King Snakes Forum

EvilTrailMix   EvilTrailMix   Peter54   Joeking   Appleman   ReptileLord   Petboy15   ReptileLord   DuckMonster  
 Member  Message

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Question about kings

The pet store sold the California King I was looking at buying, :( but they said they can order a lot of different kinds of kings. I was wondering which kind I should order? Are they all about the same maintenance and tempermant?

07/05/06  04:59pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 868106

Question about kings

And I read somewhere that I needed to put repti-carpet underneath the substrate (bark chips, etc) so the snake didnít burrow and come in direct contact with the glass above the heater?

07/05/06  06:27pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 868270

Question about kings

If you mean kingsnakes of the getula complex, they are all about the same when it comes to maintenance and temperament.

If you need to shelter your snake from the heat pad it is to strong, just use an weaker one.
I donít think itís right to stop snakes from burrowing. That is a part of their natural behaviour.

07/06/06  03:56am

Joeking
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 869123

Question about kings

Get a dimmer to put on your heat pad, thatís what I did but the reptile carpet is still a good idea

07/06/06  01:08pm

Appleman
View Profile

Message To: Joeking   In reference to Message Id: 869551

Question about kings

i would buy an eastern they get the biggest and in my opinon look the best

07/11/06  07:23am

ReptileLord
View Profile

Message To: Appleman   In reference to Message Id: 877970

Question about kings

Well biggest isnt always the best. I dont see many reticulated pythons or burmese pythons being sold regularly at the corner pet shops. Why? Because they get huge, which means big housing, big meals(some big snakes even have to be fed antelope and monkeys[African rock python if you wish to know]) Eastern Kingsnakes can get up to 6 feet long. At 6 feet, that can be quite a handful for a first time owner. All in all, telling someone they should get an Eastern King "because they are the biggest" is like saying itís ok to house two kingsnakes in the same cage or that cobras and alligators make great first time pets.

07/14/06  10:05pm

Petboy15
View Profile

Message To: ReptileLord   In reference to Message Id: 884825

Question about kings

I think your exaggerating. A common boa can be a good first snake and they reach lenghts of 7ft+.

07/14/06  11:00pm

ReptileLord
View Profile

Message To: Petboy15   In reference to Message Id: 884915

Question about kings

Yea, a boa can be a good pet, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM FOR IT. The bigger the snake, the more problematic handling becomes. A 6 foot snake is quite difficult to handle. Generally snakes 6 feet or more should be handled by two people, so the snake can feel more secure. If one person handles it, itíll have a lot of body hanging, and itíll think itís about to fall or something. Also, if it manages to wrap around you and grips u for support(remember youíd be leaving a lot of snake drooping between your hands), untangling the snake would be extremely difficult for one person. For a first-time snake owner, Iíd highly recommend a California kingsnake. They usually remain under 4 feet long, which makes them a nice, medium-sized snake that you can enjoy handling. Bigger snakes mean bigger cages, bigger prey items, and bigger wads of money leaving your wallet.

07/15/06  08:28pm

DuckMonster
View Profile

Message To: ReptileLord   In reference to Message Id: 886237

Question about kings

There are SO many morphs of Kings. I would take a look at Kingsnake.com classifieds and see what is available. They all need about the same care, minor differences. Get what looks nice to you.

07/18/06  07:51pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area