Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

King Snakes Forum

Bigfello422   Wildboy   Peter54   Bigfello422   Peter54   Bigfello422  
 Member  Message

Bigfello422
View Profile

Eats half the pinky.

Iím not sure if this is strange or normal. Knox hasnít eaten anything for 2 weeks, he refused 2 weeks ago, and last week he was shedding, so today I go him a meal. I bought 2 pinkys and a fuzzy. I put him in the other tank, which I donít think he likes, and he wouldnít eat the fuzzy. So I put in the pinky. After a little while, when i checked on him he ate half of the pinky, the pinky was completely bit in half. He seems to have a problem playing with his food.
Any ways, after I put him in his tank, I put the fuzzy and the other pinky in also just to see if heíd eat. He did eat the pinky, but is moving around the fuzzy. Iíll keep you guys posted just in case he decides to dress it up or something (jk (obviously)) .
Iím not sure is the whole eating half pinky thing is weird, but Iím getting a little concerned about his appetite because he is about 18-20 inches and not really eating to well. Any help would be great.

06/14/06  03:09am

Wildboy
View Profile

Message To: Bigfello422   In reference to Message Id: 832647

Eats half the pinky.

wow thats really wird i have never heard any ting like that, you shold probly take it to the herp

06/14/06  03:57pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Bigfello422   In reference to Message Id: 832647

Eats half the pinky.

Hey Bigfello422
Give us some leads on how your snake is kept, other habits, feeding schedual, temp, humidity level, anything that might help us help you. The half pinky thing probably happened by accident, I wouldnít pay very much attention to that. The general eating problem is what matters.

06/14/06  06:26pm

Bigfello422
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 833560

Eats half the pinky.

Ok, cool
Habbits: sleeps all day until about 10-11:30, up all night until about 6. Likes climbing to the top of his tank than dropping, he gets pretty active and noisy. When heís not active he sleeps behind his water bowl in the corner, even though there are 3 safe spots.

Feeding schedule: Iím still trying to get a schedule worked out. He used to eat once every 4-5 days, but than he stopped, and I decided I would either try a fuzzy after a week, or 2 pinkys, he didnít eat either, the next week he was very inactive until he shed. The next day I got him 2 pinkys and a fuzzy to see which he would eat. He ate a pinky in half, didnít want the fuzzy, and ate the other pinky fully. I usually put him in another tank to feed him, but he looks like he hates it. Infact he ate the pinky after I just put him and the pinky in his normal tank. I will try feeding him again sunday night because I leave for 2 months only coming back once during the week afterwards.

Humidity: 40-50

Temps: daytime 90-75 night time 80-70

Tank: 3 safe spots (2 coconut halfs, 1 log), water bowl, 20 gallon viv, big dence tree, 2 hanging plants, tree limb, carpet substrate. Cleaned once a week

Lighting: On from 11-11, on a timer.

I handle him probably 4 times a week. Almost every time I go to touch him he tries to musk me, even though I think heís getting better.

And thatís about it.

06/14/06  08:18pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Bigfello422   In reference to Message Id: 833747

Eats half the pinky.

Habits seem normal for a juvenile king, maybe you should move one hide to the place behind the water bowl if he likes that spot.

You shouldnít be stressed up by him not eating now and then. Sometimes they will stay off food for a few weeks for no obvious reason, only to suddenly jump back on schedual again some tim later. Shedding process usually also carry things like refusing food and bad temper.

If your snake is not comfortable with the feeding box, you should let him eat in his home. You can either put the food in an empty toilet paper roll with slightly folded ends and leave it like that for the night, or you can put the food in a little plastic box of some kind to avoid food getting in contact with anything (like substrate, but I see now that you use a carpet, so thatís not a problem). The paper roll mimics a rodents burrow and often triggers hesitating snakes to eat.

Temps seem okay, even if 90įF is a bit high if the whole tank gets that hot. You shouldnít let it raise above 85įF. The light hours are not that important, one can choose 11-11 or 9-9 or whatever works best for you.

Musking is normal with juveniles, they usually growes out of it with age. Try to let the snake move over into your hand rather than grabbing it.

You have had this snake for a very short time and maybe he hasnít really adjusted just yet. I donít think that there is a problem really, you just take it easy and watch what happens. I think his feeding habits will adjust in time and 4-7 days interval is fine with juveniles.

good luck to you
/Peter

06/15/06  04:34am

Bigfello422
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 834211

Eats half the pinky.

Peter, your awesome. Thanks for the advice, it will really help me out.

06/16/06  09:16am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area