King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Berda_222   Exonic   Exonic   Exonic  

Member  Message

Berda_222
View Profile

My first snake in over 20 years. Advice needed

I have a baby Arizona Mountian King Snake. Just picked her up from the airport last Friday. She is underweight but otherwise healthy. She seem very stressed out I think or at least I would be if I were her (note: I’m not exactly sure if she is). After I picked her up from the airport it took me 2 days to get her home (I had no control over the circumstances that arose to keep me from getting her home). Also, because I knew she was hungry I stopped on the way home and picked her up two live pinkies. Unknowingly giving them to her on the way home was a bad idea since she had not been put in her tank yet. She ate both of them but three days later she puked one of them up. I found it in the tank today and removed it immediately. I can tell that she still has one pinky inside her because of the lump that is still there. My concern now is that she is breathing heavy. I don’t think she has a respiratory infection but I’m a little worried that she might vomit the second pinky up. I’m leaving her tank around 81°F. She’s in a 10 gallon aquarium, with dual lights (red and white light), bedding, 2 hides, and her water bowl. I’ve not touched her since she ate 3 days ago until I cleaned her tank today. I’m sure I’m doing a lot wrong so please be easy with the comments. What can I do to reduce her stress? How often can I feed her because of her being underweight? Is the temp in her tank ok for her to digest her food?

08/31/16  06:52pm

Exonic
View Profile

Message To: Berda_222   In reference to Message Id: 2319378

Hello!

Firstly do you know how old your kings snake is? Or is she a hatchling?

When you get a new snake, especially babies you should put them in their new home and leave them for around 7 days to let them get used to their surroundings.. I see you were worried she was hungry so you fed her which is understandable but FYI a snake can go months without food and still be perfectly fine.

I would leave her in her new enclosure for a week, she may have regurgitated the first pinkie because of anxiety, if her body does not want to keep in the second one then believe me it will throw it out again. I would strongly advise you not to handle your snake until he/she has fully digested or regurgitated that second pinkie, or you could rupture it’s stomach. It’s normally 48 hours before you should touch them after feeding, but in your case he/she has not digested the mouse yet so I would stay away for now. Not handling her and letting her settle into her new surroundings will also decrease stress. You say it’s been 3 days and there is still a mouse in her stomach, my main worry is she/he is having breathing problems, if this persists I would take the snake to a vet as that’s not a good sign, but it may be anxiety due to the stressful traveling and moving into a new house.

I’m quite bad at working with gallon measurements for tanks, how many inches/foot long and wide is your tank?
In terms of heat, 81 degrees sounds good, do you have a thermostat? And do you have a heat mat? If not I would highly recommend having a heat mat spread across at least 1/3 of the tank floor under the substrate, 1/2 maximum so if he/she is to cold he/she can go and chill in her/his warm section. This way the heat is directly going towards her/his belly to help digestion. You will also need a hide in her/his cold section and one in the warm section as it sounds you already have.

If she’s underweight and just eating pinkies, I would feed her every 4/5 days. Please bare in mind he/she can NOT eat again before the previous food has been digested and she/he has poo’d it out. Check the poo. I would also recommend feeding in a separate container.

Once you have left him/ her for a week, fed her, left him/her for a couple of days until he/she is ready to be handled, I would recommend getting him/her out for around half an hour a day to get her/him used to handling, the more human contact the more comfortable your snake will be with you.

11/24/16  04:48am

Exonic
View Profile

Message To: Berda_222   In reference to Message Id: 2319378

Hello!

Firstly do you know how old your kings snake is? Or is she a hatchling?

When you get a new snake, especially babies you should put them in their new home and leave them for around 7 days to let them get used to their surroundings.. I see you were worried she was hungry so you fed her which is understandable but FYI a snake can go months without food and still be perfectly fine.

I would leave her in her new enclosure for a week, she may have regurgitated the first pinkie because of anxiety, if her body does not want to keep in the second one then believe me it will throw it out again so don’t worry. I would strongly advise you not to handle your snake until he/she has fully digested or regurgitated that second pinkie, or you could rupture it’s stomach so that’s really important to remember. It’s normally 48 hours before you should touch them after feeding. In your case he/she has not digested the mouse yet so I would stay away for now until he/she has poo’d. Not handling her and letting her settle into her new surroundings will also decrease stress. You say it’s been 3 days and there is still a mouse in her stomach, my main worry is she/he is having breathing problems, if this persists I would take the snake to a vet as that’s not a good sign. It may be anxiety due to the stressful traveling and moving into a new house, it sounds like the poor little mite has had a tough few days and needs time to relax.

I’m quite bad at working with gallon measurements for tanks, how many inches/foot long and wide is your tank?
In terms of heat, 81 degrees sounds good, do you have a thermostat? And do you have a heat mat? If not I would highly recommend having a heat mat spread across at least 1/3 of the tank floor under the substrate, 1/2 maximum so if he/she is to cold he/she can go and chill in her/his warm section especially is its having trouble digesting. This way the heat is directly going towards her/his belly to help digestion. You will also need a hide in her/his cold section and one in the warm section as it sounds you already have.

If she’s underweight and eating pinkies, I would feed her every 4/5 days. Wait until she/he has fully digested and give it a couple of days then try again. Please bare in mind he/she can NOT eat again before the previous food has been digested and she/he has poo’d it out. Check the poo. I would also recommend feeding in a separate container this helps tame the snake as they don’t associate your hand going into their tank with eating.

Once you have left him/ her for a week, fed her, left him/her for a couple of days until he/she is ready to be handled, I would recommend getting him/her out for around half an hour a day to get her/him used to handling, the more human contact the more comfortable your snake will be with you.

Sorry if this is to much info, ignore anything you already know I would rather give to much than not enough.
Good luck with your new snake, I hope she/he settles in fine!
:)

11/24/16  04:56am

Exonic
View Profile

Message To: Exonic   In reference to Message Id: 2319800

Please ignore my first message I accidentally pressed send to early!

11/24/16  04:57am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area