King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bkass   Takahiro111   Bkass   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Bkass
View Profile

Prairie Kingsnake acting very different please help

Hello everyone my name is Belal Kassem I just signed up to this website and this is my first post. It’s regarding a orator king snake that I have, her name is May anyways.. When I first got her she was about 4 inches or so and feeding/handling was quite simple and frankly enjoyable. She would be laying under the aspen and I would pick her up regularly and she would be so calm it was great. Feeding was easy too I put her in a separate container to eat and she had no problems. Fast forward to now which is about a year and a half later maybe 2 years her behaviour has drastically changed. She now requires me to brain the mice and completely cover her feeding container with a lid and a cloth if I don’t do these things she will literally just jump right out of the feeding container. Now for the dreadful part, I try picking her up now and she starts backing away cooling into the S position and she’ll nip at me. She’s about a foot and a half long now is becoming increasingly more aggressive. The information on the Internet is very confusing to follow as well. People say move your hand in slowly when handling but I also hear that kings are very territorial and will bite at anything that comes into thier cage. See what’s upsetting is that none of this was occurring a year ago she was totally fine and now she’s so high maintanence and to be honest she scares me! I’ll put my hand on the glass and she will hit her head off the glass trying to get me. I don’t know what to do I really like this snake she was my first and I really want things back to the way they were but I’m afraid as she gets older and if the current behaviour keeps up I gotta give her away. A few descriptions of her setup. Heat pad under the tank in the corner area, water dish, widen hide that she never uses btw, plastic leaves and enough aspen for her to burrow. Somebody please she’s some light!

03/23/16  04:26pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bkass   In reference to Message Id: 2317540

This is typical king snake behavior, they get even more brave the bigger they get. And are one of the bipolar snakes, nice one minute mean the next although every individual is different. I have some aggressive ones and calm ones, the bite isn’t serious nor does it hurt unless its a feeding response bite and that’ll just sting a little. All I can say is keep handling and your king may mellow out some do some don’t but sometimes you’ll have to take a bite or two and that’s a huge part of keeping reptiles lol. You can also use reptile gloves,snake hooks if your afraid of getting bit. If you get scared they sense that, if you get bit and throw it back in its cage it now know biting is a way out, I let my reptiles bite on and 95% of the mellowed out.

03/23/16  09:40pm

Bkass
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317544

Thank you for the advice it helps, I haven’t cleaned her enclosure thoroughly for quite some time maybe that might be a reason for her issues?

03/24/16  12:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bkass   In reference to Message Id: 2317556

I don’t think that’s an issue but that’s her home/enclosure so it maybe a territorial issue but to prevent any diseases or illnesses spot clean as needed and clean thoroughly monthly. A disinfectant product for reptiles is called the F10 product and it kills bacteria, viruses.... I use it and its amazing your also welcome don’t hesitate to ask me anything although I might be a little late responding because I work during the day

03/24/16  07:38pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area