King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Vspencer   Takahiro111   Vspencer   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Vspencer
View Profile

Just looking for some advice

Hey I just got an adult california Kingsnake from a man who had to rehome him and Ive noticed now that hes settled in and soaked in his water for a bit that there are small black specks that resemble pepper( not alot maybe 6-10 max)in his water bowl so im guessing these small specks are mites. He also sometimes darts out of his hide and kind of rubs himself on the bedding(hes done that maybe 1 or two times since ive gotten him) Not sure if that’s by stress or mites because he has been moved alot lately since i went to get him. I was already planning on trashing all the current bedding he came with and treating the entire enclosure and hides for mites. He over all seems healthy, hes very alert always flicking his tongue and pretty active there are no skin wounds or anything(he actually just finished a shed before i recieved him so his coloring is great), and because hes black and white spotting small mites on him isnt the easiest thing also for the fact that he likes to move. Since there are only 6-10 specks in his water after he fully submerges himself i doubt its a huge problem YET. My main question is, is it too soon for me to start aggressively treating his enclosure for mites? I’m trying to avoid stressing him out as much as possible. If it is too soon how long should i wait hes been with me for all of 3-4 days now. Thank you for your time. Also I’m new to this forum and i hope to learn alot from all of you : )

02/23/16  09:04am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Vspencer   In reference to Message Id: 2317168

Its never to soon for mites treat asap before an infestation occur, it don’t take long for 6-10 mites to turn into 50-100. Treat him with reptile relief and the cage with prevent a mite. This works better than anything. Also use bedadine to create a warm tea colored bath to treat mite bites.

02/23/16  12:47pm

Vspencer
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317173

Ok thank you for the reply. Ive gotten other advice that says too keep him on paper towels for a while after treating for mites do you do the same?

02/23/16  01:48pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Vspencer   In reference to Message Id: 2317176

You’re welcome and yes put down paper towel also what I did was take out any bark items and throw away and just replace it.....I had this mite problem once, bought a female swift from petland for my male and infested 20+ reptiles even though see was quarantined. Mites is a real pain if not dealt with early but from the looks of it you caught it early which is good.

02/23/16  02:55pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area