Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

H2O Girl   Cphill58   H2O Girl   Cphill58   Herper01  

Member  Message

H2O Girl
View Profile

Shedding Frequency

Hey there,

I was given a Cali King on May 30, 2015 and it was total love at first sight. I swear it’s like this snake was bred just for me and my 5-year-old son (especially me lol). But I’m brand new to being a snake owner. So far/so good. He’s just over a year old by a month or two. He shed the week of June 21. I’ve read that kings his age shed about every 3 months or so but he seems to be showing signs that he’s almost ready to shed again. Hi skin is dull, he’s slothful and rubbery, and this morning his eyes looked a bit cloudy but not for long. Last time he shed it was a long process... his eyes were a bit cloudy at first, then normal for another week or so, then completely blue for a couple of days on the week of his shed. So it took about a month for him to shed. Is it possible that he could be shedding again? Or could something be wrong? He wasn’t eating enough with his previous owner; no wonder she gave him up so quickly because of SLIGHTLY agressive behavior (no snapping, just obviously wanting more food when she opened the cage. He’s well fed now and has normal bowel movements, etc. He’s as happy as a snake can be. He should have been begging for food by today but he’s not. And that’s what happened last time he shed. He still ate but his request for food was further apart than normal. Am I being overly concerned? Do snakes possibly shed more in the summertime? (I should just google that question but I’ve found the best answers on this forum.) Or could he just be growing more rapidly now that he is eating the proper amount? Any advice you can give me would be great! I’m a newbie but I feel like I know him well by now. I just don’t want to miss something important and lose this amazing, beautiful, sweet little guy.

Thanks for reading my short book. Hope to hear from you soon.

07/27/15  03:13am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: H2O Girl   In reference to Message Id: 2314338

Shedding Frequency

Sorry ...I have been away. Your king has shed by now I am sure...feel free to add more humidity by misting the enclosure during the week or so he is milky and pale. They will go CLEAR and you would think he has shed except for the lack of the old skin ... suddenly a few days later the real shed occurs.

You can make a humid hide box by using a plastic dollar store container... cutting a hole of proper size for the snake to go in and out... adding damp substrate and sphagnum moss... moisten with water every few days until the snake sheds.
He /she will love that hide ...just wait and see.

I love my kings ...they are fantastic snakes and my first love. My first owned I was 12 years old. Now add 44 years and here I am today.

He will do just fine ...the more you feed him the more he will grow and obviously he will shed more frequently. Occasionally he may go off food and refuse to eat at the oddest time ...but they will be back once the fast is over.

Breeding season in males will cause them to search about like mad ... refuse food ... and then after a few weeks the raging hormones back down and they are just fine again. Females might go off food too...it just takes a couple seasons to let them teach you.

I am so glad your 5 year old is enjoying this ... THATS GREAT

Any questions just respond here ...I will get the notification

Congrats !!

08/03/15  01:53am

H2O Girl
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314420

Shedding Frequency

Thank you, cphill58!

He did shed again. I was just surprised at the frequency. And, of course, he was right back to his normal self! He just seems so helpless when he’s shedding. I can imagine how uncomfortable it must be. I’ll try the hide next time. The last two times I’ve sprayed the terrarium walls with water and added a bit of water to my little rock fountain with some substrate in it. But it seems like an extra hide for the purpose of shedding would be much appreciated.

Now I’m having trouble figuring out what size mouse to feed him. A large mouse seems too small because he’s hungry about 4-5 days after feeding, but a jumbo or adult mouse seems to really slow him down for about 3-4 days and then he’s hungry again about 10 days after feeding. Is there a happy medium?

08/10/15  10:49pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: H2O Girl   In reference to Message Id: 2314540

Shedding Frequency

My motto is simply feed more than 1 smaller item ...or allow him to gorge on a larger item. As long as they can handle it.

My food items range from teenage mice to adult mice to rat pups / weanling rat /small rats ... and pinky rabbits.

The cali is growing up nicely and I am very happy with him and his growth rate and size. There have been times when he was stubborn and stopped eating for a couple months as well. Luckily there were other snakes to eat his rodent or i would have to re freeze it

This king snake was raised on frozen thawed...so he was rather confused with fresh killed and stunned live items ...he never really grasped the idea of full constriction until recently. I was very excited about that when i saw it. almost like he graduated from High School....lol

Ohhh the funny adventures ... look forward to hearing about yours.

08/11/15  08:41am

Herper01
View Profile

Message To: H2O Girl   In reference to Message Id: 2314338

Shedding Frequency

Fellow herper, dont mean to be mean but you are asking far to many questions i. e., I have some two dozen books on snakes and their care, for love of the little critters that depend on us, get some books, crash course, their lives depend on you knowing how to care for them. It will shed as needed as it grows, as it is fed, at six weeks at three months etc., of course skin problems can cause frequent shedding, study up.

10/08/15  11:47pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area