Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ireland77   Takahiro111   Cphill58   Ireland77   Cphill58   Ireland77   Takahiro111   Ireland77   Takahiro111   Ireland77   Takahiro111   Amandaf   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Ireland77
View Profile

Convincing my mother

Hey guys, I’m new to this and I want to get a kingsnake for my b-day in a few months but my mom is a little hesitant to get me one due to them being escape artists and us having 2 cats and a big dog. I know an escape proof viv is recommended and that they can still get out. Is there anything I can do or say that will ease my mom’s worries?

02/03/15  10:15am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ireland77   In reference to Message Id: 2312156

Convincing my mother

I have gigantic reptiles and the #1 thing I told my mom is that I would have cage locks that has to be opened with a key but ofcourse it had to be built but tell her you’ll get cage clip locks and show her good vids of the snake.

02/03/15  10:08pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312164

Convincing my mother

I had my first snake at 12 years old ... a Calif King. I love them to this day. They can not get out of this particular style cage that has self locking plastic tabs on the top ....let me find a picture for you.

dragon forum with tank pictures

Another thing I do is go to the fabric store and purchase the adhesive velcro... 1 part on the lid (In 4 corners) and the other part on the glass. This works great for all my 5 foot kings and bull snakes.

My mom always promoted our hobbies and encouraged us I hope yours does the same.

locking clips

Pet Co and other stores all have locking clips in various styles... go into the store and see what works for you.

02/04/15  09:05pm

Ireland77
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312177

Convincing my mother

Thank you for the information. She’s is trying to hide it, but I think she is going to get me one in April (since my mom and I will be gone for 10 days in March and no one else in my family wants anything to do with a snake). I just have to not talk about snakes no stop or else I’ll blow it :) Wish me luck and I’ll post pics of it once/if I get it.

By the way cphill, I can’t open that first link.

02/14/15  02:48pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Ireland77   In reference to Message Id: 2312328

Convincing my mother

Sorry about the first link... went to my local pet store and actually found the enclosure on the retail shelf ...Zilla Critter cage

Zilla cages with locking lid
You can see them on Amazon and other sites as well
..!
Best of luck ... they are some of the most docile snakes in North America. You wont be disappointed ..!

02/16/15  12:51am

Ireland77
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312341

Convincing my mother

Just a quick update on how my quest for a king is coming. At first, I wanted a king for my b-day, but that is just around the corner and my local, non-chain, pet shop does not have any. There is, however, a repticon coming my way in June and I have read that June is the main month kings hatch :) I already have two glass aquariums, one I think is at most 15 gal and one that is 50 gal. A friend gave them to me when they heard I wanted a snake and they were not using the aquariums anymore. However, they do not have a tight-fit lid so I will need to buy some.
I do have a few more questions though. Is well water ok to give a snake or should I give it some other kind? What is the ’sock method’? I looked it up online, but all I got was the "sock method for hair" :( Can someone explain it to me?

03/28/15  08:24pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ireland77   In reference to Message Id: 2312925

Convincing my mother

If your gonna get a baby the 15 gal will be too big so kinda clutter it with decors,accessories but not too much. Its funny because I’ve owned reptiles for 13 years about to be 14 and Idont know what the sock method is. If well water is water from a well outside then no its no good....not even for humans because of too much bacteria/parasites. The reptiles in my collection that doesn’t have a pond/pool in their enclosure I use water from the sink and put two drops of the reptisafe water coniditoner when they run out of bottle water I buy from the supermarket :)...its also good things are going well with getting the snake.

03/28/15  11:41pm

Ireland77
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312926

Convincing my mother

My well is technically outside but we get the water from a fusset. If well water doesn’t work, will I be able to use distilled water? And thanks for the info on a 15 gal being too roomy for a baby king :)

03/29/15  04:38pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ireland77   In reference to Message Id: 2312931

Convincing my mother

Your welcome and I’m not too sure about distilled water but if you get water from the sink use a reptisafe water conidionter it takes out the chemicals and what not...that’s what I do.

03/29/15  06:11pm

Ireland77
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312933

Convincing my mother

I finally convinced her! XD It only took 2 trips to the local repticon for her to start wanting a snake again. He is a California king, not yet 1 (he turns 1 is July), he has shedded twice since we got him and his last measurement was about 21 inches long and his name is Kein. We got him in January. I hold him everyday (except after he eats and during his shedding periods). I do have a question though. I read that king snakes are diurnal but he always comes out at around dinner time, will he come out during the day when he gets bigger or continually come out during dinner?

04/08/16  03:19pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ireland77   In reference to Message Id: 2317753

Convincing my mother

Mine is always out but they sleeps whenever they want. I’m so happy for ya congrats and nice starter snake.

04/08/16  11:42pm

Amandaf
View Profile

Message To: Ireland77   In reference to Message Id: 2312156

Convincing my mother

Hi there! It’s true, snakes are escape artists, but if they are tame they aren’t likely to try. And anyway, the chances of them escaping all depend on what kind of terrarium you’ve got. I keep my speckled king in a ten gallon fish tank with a screen top, and he’s never escaped. Good luck to you and I hope everything turns out ok.

05/30/16  10:21am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Amandaf   In reference to Message Id: 2318522

Convincing my mother

That’s total bs. First off you don’t tame reptiles just calm them down enough so they tolerant of you and secondly whether it’s calm or not it’s gonna escape without proper security. I always say get LOCKS.

06/08/16  08:26am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area