Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Taradactyl   Takahiro111   Taradactyl   Taradactyl   Takahiro111   Taradactyl   Cphill58   Takahiro111   Taradactyl   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Taradactyl
View Profile

Rapid breathing while sleeping??

My snake (a 10yr mexican black kingsnake) typically takes long, deep breaths that are slow and far between, and even more so when asleep. The past couple of days I’ve noticed that he’s been breathing rapidly and shallowly while sleeping. When I wake him he jolts but falls into his regular breathing again. What could this be? Dehydration? Over eating? Respiratory issues? Or is it even possible for snakes to have nightmares..?

08/22/14  09:06pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Taradactyl   In reference to Message Id: 2308811

I think its a respiratory issue since breathing has something to do with that body system

08/23/14  12:45am

Taradactyl
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2308825

A whole lot of things can effect breathing without it being an actual serious respiratory issue. Ex) stress/fear/agitation can increase heart and breathing rate; increased temperature can also increase breathing rate as some animals do "pant" in order to expel excess heat.

I was hoping someone who has owned several snakes could tell me if this could be an immediate serious issue or if it is something simple that I dont have to worry about. Some extra info that might be helpful maybe is that he does not ’yawn’ and I know that yawning can be an indicator that there is a respiratory issue, which is why i’m so unsure as to whether i should be concerned or not...

08/24/14  04:02pm

Taradactyl
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2308825

A whole lot of things can effect breathing without it being an actual serious respiratory issue. Ex) stress/fear/agitation can increase heart and breathing rate; increased temperature can also increase breathing rate as some animals do "pant" in order to expel excess heat.

I was hoping someone who has owned several snakes could tell me if this could be an immediate serious issue or if it is something simple that I dont have to worry about. Some extra info that might be helpful maybe is that he does not ’yawn’ and I know that yawning can be an indicator that there is a respiratory issue, which is why i’m so unsure as to whether i should be concerned or not...

08/24/14  04:02pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Taradactyl   In reference to Message Id: 2308908

My burm and boa opens their mouth at times when they bask but I realized it wasn’t a issue..I would only be concerned if he start throwing up,loose weight,abnormal behavior or is having tremors of some sort. My boa went off food for a while because he didn’t like the uvb in his cage which led to stress. Besides he rapid breathing is there other abnormal things you began to recognize?

08/24/14  04:47pm

Taradactyl
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2308909

Really? To a uvb?
Anyway, not too much that I can see. He did have a small scale problem several weeks back, but that seems to have cleared up completely. He has been sleeping and/or hidden away more often than usual both day and night. He is still making quick appearances when food is involved though.

08/25/14  01:54pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Taradactyl   In reference to Message Id: 2308930

Is it possible that your MBK is coming into a shed cycle?
My large constrictors will HUFF and try to expel the nostril skin... my kings ( Florida and Cali) will usually hide from sight until they are rubbing against objects and actually shedding.

I haven’t observed any so called dreaming episodes , but it is an interesting thought. Do snakes dream of other snakes ...hunting adventures...the ultimate meal?

LOL

I would safely say unless your snake is discharging mucus or has the real symptoms of a respiratory infection you can rule those issues out. If you have the extra time and money you can have a vet examine your snake 1x per year just for piece of mind. Look for an EXOTIC vet or call and make sure they have a good history and references with exotics.

08/28/14  07:25pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Taradactyl   In reference to Message Id: 2308930

He was never housed with a uvb before so I heard it can benefit them even though they don’t need it..I guess it stressed him and he went off food..I took it out to see if that was the cause or a normal off feeding and he ate the next day I took it out.

08/28/14  07:34pm

Taradactyl
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309069

I might try the same actually. I just recently started using a UVB bulb as well....
thanks.

08/29/14  10:01am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Taradactyl   In reference to Message Id: 2309087

Your welcome

08/29/14  01:32pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area