Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Apalazzo   Takahiro111   Cphill58   Apalazzo   Takahiro111   Apalazzo   Apalazzo   Apalazzo   Takahiro111   Apalazzo   Takahiro111   Apalazzo   Takahiro111   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Apalazzo
View Profile

This is for Cphill update on MBK

So three years ago I got my first snake which was my MBK she was so small. She still is a little small in my opinion she’s just over 3ft long and at 260 grams. I recently received a male MBK who’s about 6yrs old and was under weight and only feed one a month to every three. These are my MBK s today. Hope you enjoy.
First is the female.

Her again this pic is a few months old she’s larger now in shed at the moment or would have taken a fresh pic.

Next my new male

And another. This was him all day he can smell the female in the tank next door lol

One more of him playing in the water

07/10/14  09:39pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2307053

There so cute...I might get one but have to wait until I make room lol my big reptiles take up a lot of space. What size tank they need?

07/12/14  12:24am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307118

WOW Apalozzo....great job !! They both look very nice . Love the male climbing the branch trying to get to his mate. I hope everything goes fantastic when you do breed them.

Best regards and Thanks !!!

07/17/14  04:56am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307118

Currently my female is in a 20 long and happy as can be. The male is in a 29 gallon for now. I plan on moving him into a 40 breeder just to give him some extra room. He’s been in the 29 for 3years before I got him. Nit sure what he was in before that.

I can’t believe how big my little girl has gotten she was the size of a leaf worm when I got her. But she still lives to chill in my hands and watch tv lol. The male I just took in has gained 100 grams in the time I’ve had him. He’s looking really good. Can no longer feel his ribs when I hold him. He also just chills in my arms.

When the time comes I hope breeding these two go greats and smoothly. Probably won’t be for another year. My girl looks so small compared to him. Late fall she will be turning 4yrs old. She’s growing just at a nice slow rate. Or in her sperts that she has.

07/23/14  01:47am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2307763

Wow that’s amazing...I hope breeding goes well I would so like to see the babies :)

07/23/14  04:38am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307767

Your not the only one who wants to see babies. I know I do and I’m pretty sure Cphil does to. Will have to do a lot of research first on breeding MBKs. I’ve done corns will be doing bps next season. Never done kings and from what I hear their tricky since they like to eat each other. Don’t want that to happen to my little girl. Age wise I know she’s mature. Size however she’s over 3 ft long if not 4 ft. but she’s under 300 grams last I weighed her. She’s about as fat as my thumb. She has her sperts. Like in fall she will grow like a weed again. She grew some this spring but not as much as the year before.

I know my normal bp ovulates in Feb at least thats when she did this year but was under weight. Can’t wait for my spider 100 percent het albinos to get of age and size got a breeding pair of them. Along with a breeding pair of pastels then my odd ball my normal bp but she was my first and the first time in 3 years she puked up her food. Tried an XL rat she had all but the tip of the tail in and then in like a second the whole thing came out. Poor girl. She usually eats large rats and misc left over small items so I thought I give an XL a shot.

Any pointers on breeding MBKs would be great since it will be my first time breeding kings.

07/23/14  01:27pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2307461

Ok so I suspected but was hard to tell when i first got my male MBK. There was one spot that looked like it could have been either scale rot, or battle wound from a live feeding. Now today as I was examining him as I took him out to feed the spot is a little larger. Whats the best thing to do to treat scale rot?? in 4 years have never had a snake get scale rot so this is new to me.

07/23/14  02:05pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307767

Is this scale rot???

[/URL]

07/23/14  02:44pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2307809

I think so...I never had a scale rot problem so I don’t know what it looks like.

07/23/14  04:19pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307812

I never had ever if it is I got the snake this way. Like i said all 4 years of my snake care and I never had any issues no mitts scale rot etc. Food refusal ya but nothing health wise. When I looked on google and youtube all the scale rot I seen was brown. This isn’t nor does it match the scale rot pictures I seen. Then again it could be an early stage and everything I’ve seen was late stages. Doesn’t help when I brought him home the tank he came with I went to put fresh bedding and whip it out and when I did there was little dozens of little beetles in the bedding I was disgusted when I seen this and messaged the previous owner right away. So with the beetles being in there I thought maybe they were feeding on him. since it was just one scale that was messed up. Looked like just a damage scale at first. Now it’s on two scales Mostly still on the main one and the edge of the other. This picture doesn’t help but neither does his blue hue or him moving so this was the best shot I could get at the moment.

07/23/14  05:10pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2307814

The pic was perfect...I think it has something to do with the beetles that was in his tank before you got him. I don’t know how people can’t keep an eye on their pets.

07/23/14  05:53pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307821

The background I have on him is that, he came from a zoo where he was at for 3 years or so. Then the guy who got him when the zoo no longer wanted him had him for about 3 years. Then before I got him I posted a picture of my girl on facebook and one of my friends asked if I wanted another one a male. I said sure how much? They told me free. So I knew from past experiences there had to be some kind of issue. A few days later I got him. I was then told he was being fed once a month to every three month. I bit my tongue. Said ok. I could tell he was under weight. So when I got home I fed the poor guy a rat fuzzy. Since I was told the last time he ate he puked which was about a month ago. He was being fed one large mouse. So I gave him a rat fuzzy. After he ate it for about 10 minutes he acted and made the sounds like he was going to puke. He kept it down. I cleaned his tank found the beetles text them and said wtf theres beetles in his tank. I was then informed he hadn’t had a light or heat if about a year and was kept in an unheated room off the side of the house. Where he spent winter also. So poor guy has been through hell and back. He’s gained weight since I’ve had him and is eating weined to small rats once a week. When I seen the spot like I said I thought was a battle wound then when I seen the beetles thought they were feeding on him. But he shed and it hasn’t gotten better. So I thought scale rot but it doesn’t match any pictures I’ve seen of scale rot. Even a local breeder I know wasn’t sure what it was since she has never seen anything like it either. She deals with corns and Ball pythons and has a rodent breeding business. So I’m hoping some one on here can tell me what it is.

07/23/14  06:38pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2307823

Omg I feel so bad for him but he’s in good hands with you now. When someone is giving a reptile away for free its a catch to it but not all the time some people take care of theirs before giving it away. Oh if you go to allexperts.com they should be able to help you ask your question(its 100% free) post your pic and depending on who you ask it takes a couple of hours to 3 days for the expert to answer. Whenever nobody here answer a question regarding my reptiles I go there and they answer.

07/23/14  08:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2307835

OK ...that isnt scale rot...it looks like urates staining his scales
Scale rot will eat away the scales and looks like insecta damage to a leaf...scale rot is associated with feces and too much moisture as the snake sits in it...the bacteria eats away the scales usually the bottom scales only become uneven and tinged with brown ... Our rainbow boa defecates in the hide tub and sits in it I have to keep an eye on her as it started once upon a time but with cleaning and dry conditions and a couple of sheds later her scales returned to normal. Moire serious conditions require an antibiotic ...prescription.

Home remedies include POVIDONE IODINE mixed 50/50 with water and soaking the snake in a tub for a period of time 5-10 minutes ...soak the snake in clean water first so that if it needs to drink it will...then place the snake in the solution and place a lid on it..make sure the tub is small and confined so it stays partially submerged...plastic shoe box

Walmart and any store sells it ...walgreens ...target...Rite aid
http://www.walmart.com/ip/10324543?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

I usually get a quart and have it under the sink ...rarely have to use it ...but it is there. When my retic bit me I used it on my hand as well 100% strength for humans

Contact a vet if things get worse and get some ointment...or another home remedy ...Triple antibiotic applied to the area daily or as often as you feel is needed.

Change the substrate if you have to to keep things clean and sterile. Offer the snake a plastic shoe box as a hide with no substrate and see if he likes it.. a damp paper towel is all you need inside.

Soak 2x a week ...apply ointment occasionally...keep it clean drier than normal. ( for scale rot)

You just might have a dry skin condition and some baby oil will make it better

KEEP ME POSTED..

07/25/14  11:28am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area