Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rynine   Rynine   Peter54  

Member  Message

Rynine
View Profile

New to this and just got a King....ID help? Blotched King?

Picked up this King over the weekend while on staycation with family @ the Myrtle Beach Reptile Expo. This is mine and my families first snake. Was told and shown its a male king, a little over a year old and that it can feed live. Not knowing really what to ask or anything a few days later I have a ton of questions and such. For one, we’d like to know what species/sub species he is...from everything Im gathering he is a Florida Blotched King...we currently have him in a 10g with cypress mulch for now and I fed him a thawed small mouse yesterday just to see if he was comfy so far.

07/30/13  02:43pm

Rynine
View Profile

Message To: Rynine   In reference to Message Id: 2300054

Heres another photo of him from earlier...

07/31/13  12:22am

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Rynine   In reference to Message Id: 2300054

Hi
First of all, that is not a Florida blotched kingsnake. The head immediately gives it away as a California kingsnake, morph I shuould say "aberrant". Florida kingsnakes never have that black "helmet", Cali kings always do.

Secondly; don’t listen to those who tell you to feed live. The snake can get severely injured and neither is it very nice to the mouse. Feeding snakes live prey should only be considered as a last resort when nothing else works.

I have no experience of cypress mulch, but that is from firtree and should therefore be used carefully. If it has a strong turpentine smell it should not be used. I use either peat moss or aspen bedding.

The age of your snake is a bit hard to determine exactly since there are no objects around on your pics to compare with. Could you make a guess on how long your snake is and also estimate it’s biggest girth measurement?

Give me these facts and I’ll give you my best guess, I’ve been breeding Cali kings for about 30 years.

08/03/13  09:42am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area