View Profile

Cali king snake’s bath times?

How often should I give my Cali a bath?

05/14/13  07:20am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: OreoBaby   In reference to Message Id: 2297281

Snakes don’t need baths...but if you offer a large enough water container it might soak and do it all by themselves.

If you recognize the shedding process you can add water to the enclosure with a misting bottle and increase the humidity so the snake can shed easily.

Shedding works like this....the skin and eyes get dull and cloudy and suddenly it clears up and the snake hasn’t shed yet. You look for the shed skin and there is none , scratching head you wonder what happened. after the snake goes clear you can expect the shed to occur within 7 days roughly.

During this time it is always good to mist, bathe or give the snake damp substrate or even a wet / damp towel. After the shed you can go back to normal operating conditions.

05/15/13  12:36pm

JoeFL
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2297363

I don’t bathe mine really, but when I clean her vivarium about once a week or so, I put her in a smallish plastic holding box with about a half inch of water. I tilt the box so she can choose between dry and wet. She swims around quite a bit. I figure this will rinse any urine or feces or whatever else off her. I do the same with my ball python, but only about once a month, unless he goes to the bathroom more frequently for whatever reason.

05/16/13  11:13pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: OreoBaby   In reference to Message Id: 2297281

Snakes should be allowed to determine if they want to bathe or not by themselves. The only time when it might be a good idea to give them a dip in tepid water is when/if the snake gets constipated.

05/30/13  01:43am

OreoBaby
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2297911

O.K. These replies are not what I heard when I read up on my snake, but I agree with ya’ll and will let my snake choose. The reason the baths were so important to me was because when I first got my snake, my brother got one too. His died, and when he looked it up he read about the baths to help with digestion. His snake wouldn’t digest after being fed one day and then its "neck’ area got really, really skinny. Then it died. After that I always gave my snake a bath once a week. Do you have any idea what happened to my brother’s snake? It was a black cali. king snake. It was maybe 8 months at the time. His name was Pharaoh.

06/19/13  10:32pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: OreoBaby   In reference to Message Id: 2298649

Digestion has to do with temperature rather than anything else. When a snake is constipated it can be helpful to bathe the snake in tepid water and massage it at the same time. Otherwise bathing should not be forced on the snake.

06/22/13  08:31am

OreoBaby
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2298731

O.K. thanks

07/01/13  11:50pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area