King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cottonmouthking:)/   Greatballzofire   Cottonmouthking:)/   KeepYourSky  

Member  Message

Cottonmouthking:)/
View Profile

New banana king snake owner as of yesterday ...help

Ok so I just got my first snake yesterday and I did a lot I research but still have a lot of questions so I sighted up for this. First question is about lighting an temp; right now I go the temp to 80 and it really maxes out at that but think he needs more heat. I am gonna attach some pictures of my set up for comments and suggestions. I have handled him twice and he always seems to try and get away and I go with it n move y hands with him.. He has roamed around a little in the cage. Do I need to let him settle in before handling him any more. He is used to live prey but I want f/t so on Tuesday that’s what I’m gonna attempt. Ok here are a few shots of his housing...lemme know what you think..also the guy told me to leave the light on all the time. I dunno about that from what I’ve read but want to keep the temp right so left it on last night... Photos to big sorry

04/13/13  01:21pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cottonmouthking:)/   In reference to Message Id: 2295583

You can resize your pics at your image hosting site.

Lamps are fine for lizards but snakes do better with an Under Tank Heater, which will provide a hide spot of the proper temperature. The whole tank does not have to be hot just one little spot the snake can go to when it needs higher temps for digestion. When you install a UTH be sure to run it on a thermostat.

Kingsnakes are diurnal, meaning they are active during the day and sleep at night. So leaving the lamp on all the time would not be good.

04/14/13  09:18am

Cottonmouthking:)/
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2295620

Yeah I want an uth but have to save a lil cash for it, I got temp to 85 with two lights today

04/14/13  03:46pm

KeepYourSky
View Profile

Message To: Cottonmouthking:)/   In reference to Message Id: 2295583

Hey,
I’ve got two kings myself so here’s my two cents. In terms of the temps I keep my kings with a 90 degree hot spot, I try to keep the warm areas in the mid 80s and the cool area at room temperature (typically between 70-75 in my house). However, kings are hardy, if you want to maintain a cage at a single temperature I’d keep it around 85, with a nighttime drop to room temperature. I’d also put a rock or piece of slate under the heat light so the snake can get some belly heat. I’d recommend (if you aren’t already) using either a red "nocturnal" light, or a ceramic heat emitter. The light can be very stressful for the snake

In terms of temperament, I would recommend leaving your king completely alone for 5-7 days. Change the water, spot clean, but do not completely clean, the cage, and after the time is up you can try a feeding, and about a day or 2 after that try handling again.

Most kings are "flighty" (the getting away behavior you described) when young. So long as it does not develop into outright aggression (which it typically doesn’t) it generally goes away with careful handling and general maturity. Kings calm down as adults.
Kings, like most colubrids, are oppurtunistic feeders, and switch to f/t with no problem, cal kings in the wild eat pretty much anything they can overpower, the switch shouldn’t be a problem. Where’d you get the snake that they were feeding it live, and why?

04/18/13  10:00am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area