Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ahna   Scroller_rb   Ahna   Peter54   Greatballzofire   Scroller_rb   Ublaz   Peter54   Greatballzofire   EDz Exotics   Philosopher  

Member  Message

Ahna
View Profile

Baby mexician black kingsnake owner needs help

i have a new baby black king snake--she is kinda cranky with me and i am not sure why--when i go to take her out of her house she false attacks me with a ram of her nose- twitches her tail at me- i feed her once a week as suggested- i feed her also in a separate tank- am i not feeding her enough?? i want to be a good mother to this sweet cranky snake so--i need some input- i am a new snake owner

03/14/13  08:27pm

Scroller_rb
View Profile

Message To: Ahna   In reference to Message Id: 2293777

Ahna, most of the time new/small kingsnakes get very defensive in their surroundings. Their "house" is their safe zone. When my "Ruby" was a baby, I would get her out and cuddle her next to my chest. She could feel/hear my heartbeat and she would settle down rather quickly. Even when a stranger would hold her and she would get spooked, I would hold her to my chest and within a minute or so, she was ok. She’s now 52" long and is a big baby. The more you hold it, the sooner it will get to know you and realize you aren’t going to hurt it. Look at the world thru their eyes, it would like you being cared for by a giant compared to their size... Good luck and try to post some pictures... Mexican Blacks are beautiful snakes...

03/14/13  09:25pm

Ahna
View Profile

thank your for your suggestion- i hold her everyday and she does not seem to be as anxious --so far so good-

03/18/13  01:06pm

Peter54
View Profile

My point of view on this is quite different from what scroller suggests. All small snakes are sciddish, that’s their key to survival. They have to react on every moving object as if it was a predator wanting to have the little snake for lunch.

No snake can be tamed, but it can get used to handling, however, handling a young snake every day might result in quite the opposite from what we seek - the snake gets even more nervous. I handle my adult kingsnakes about 2-3 times every year and hatchlings or small juveniles maybe twice a month.

It’s not how often, but just how you handle the snake that will make the difference. The snake will not recognise your smell, but it will cling to your warmth and it will calm down if you handle it calmly. Instead of just opening the cage and grabbing the small snake, I choose to open and wait for it to come out by itself so that it will get into my hands without any stress.

03/22/13  08:28pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2294152

Hey, Peter54, long time no see!

Another thing is snakes all have different personalities. I have some that are very tame and others that are shy. I have one little pyro that will musk every time. I try to not handle her anymore than absolutely necessary as that is just her nature.

03/23/13  09:52am

Scroller_rb
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2294169

what works for one snake doesn’t always work for the others... This has always worked for me... they all are different just like dogs and cats... I must of gotten a good one, because she comes to me, out of hiding to hold her, and has never tried to strike at me... life is too short to deal with a snake with an attitude... lol...

03/24/13  12:50pm

Ublaz
View Profile

Message To: Scroller_rb   In reference to Message Id: 2294229

I had the same issue with mine as well. There is something called cage aggression, basically the snake will act exactly like you described until you have held for a few moments. That might be what you’re dealing with.

03/24/13  08:55pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2294169

Hey "fireball", yeah, I havent been here much since my wife’s mother got lung cancer some 18 months ago. She past away in february and now things are slowly coming back to what could be cathegorised as "normal" in our family.

Funny with a pyro that acts like that. They are usually the calmest of all colubrids. Compared to some of my hatchling cali kings, my young pyros have always been like a dream to handle.

04/11/13  09:47am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2295442

Peter54,
Sorry for your family loss; Been there, done that, it does take a toll.

The little pyro I mentioned is slowly calming down. The last time I took her out of the cage she did not musk me!

A couple of hold backs from last year.

04/14/13  09:10am

EDz Exotics
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2295619

My experience with MBK’s have all been the same as yours. As hatchlings some kingsnakes are more calm than others. I have found that kings from the mexicana complex are on average very calm right out of the egg!

Those are beautiful Pyros.

05/27/14  02:36pm

Philosopher
View Profile

Message To: EDz Exotics   In reference to Message Id: 2305350

try putting a little black pepper on your hand where you expect the bite sometimes it has worked for me in the past to train the bites away. snakes can and will adapt and learn very quickly. it doesn’t hurt them all the aggressive kings I have had this mostly works

11/12/15  08:00pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area