King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jacdore   Cphill58   Jacdore   Cphill58   Jacdore   Cphill58   Jacdore  

Member  Message

Jacdore
View Profile

New to calci’s, well snakes full stop

Saturday we fell in love with a calci king snake. 16wks old. Our first ever snake. Have other reptiles, cats, dogs, fish, rabbit, guinea pig etc. When do i pick him/her up, do i just grab, well not grab, gentle pull out, you know what i mean. Not sure how to add photo’s, he/she is black n white, everyone has said "Just gorgeous" so guess just gorgeous, lol lol. Called Impy as an impulsive buy. pmsl. Look forward to your replies and meeting you all and any help

01/07/13  01:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jacdore   In reference to Message Id: 2289035

Cheers mate ...if you are a guy? What’s the term for a Girl??

I have had California Kings (Cali’s) since i was 12 years old ...they are some of the nicest snakes I know. But like people they can have certain personalities and each 1 is slightly different. I have been lucky to have good tempered snakes...they are known as DOCILE , so no worries there, sometimes they go through a phase and get snippy ...but they grow up and get mellow with handling.

To add photos go to a free upload photo site like Photobucket or other...upload pics there and get the proper link and paste it into this message box

Preview the message to make sure the picture shows ...or try again When you get it right you will see the photo. Then POST MESSAGE

01/07/13  11:26pm

Jacdore
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2289096

Hi, thanks for that. I’d spoken to a friend with 30 odd various snakes and they’d said king snakes get quite nasty. They also had a friend that had one and just like them, had to get rid as it became rather bitey and would even go to attack the glass if u walked past. I’ve read and told by the reptile shop to handle alot so the snake gets to know us and then read alot of folk just leave them alone. Surely handling is the best with all pets. The more you handle the more docile they are. Not sure when to pick the snake up? Like do i just go in and gently drag him out so to speak. By the way I’m a girl. I’m Ju xx

01/08/13  12:09pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jacdore   In reference to Message Id: 2289116

I tell you true....none of my snakes are bitey...except a baby corn or 2....but they can’t even get their mouth around my finger....lol

When I see a snake striking at the glass I immediately feed it ...to me that is hunger ..!! I know this in my heart of hearts. It has worked every time and they calm down....feed as much as they can handle. My Florida kings will eat medium rats or 2 smalls or a couple of rabbit pinks that I have frozen. They are 4-5 ft long now and the cali is much larger now than the picture....the picture is old.

I have 14 adult snakes in the house and 9 youngsters that haven’t sold yet...only 3 of them are King snakes....all different kinds and 1 retic python and 1 Red tail Boa....so many moths to feed and I know when they are hungry. and what behavior to expect. If my kings get excited they come out of the hide like a bullet and take the food item from my hand. They know the difference between your scent and the rodent/ prey. I will feed in hand and let them eat whilst holding them.
This is a bull snake

I tell you no lies , they are very intelligent , make these bonds and they will never forget you. They will allow you to handle them anytime as long as you show no fear...get over it ...the bite doesn’t hurt. The worst thing you can do is yank your hand /finger away and break their little teeth.

Once you experience this you will be invincible....

Butter corn snake....was super excited....lol wanted to get a picture and he kept going and going...finally doused him under cold water. He let go , finally got the rabbit pinkie and left me alone....lol

01/09/13  12:21am

Jacdore
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2289165

oh wow!!!!!!!!! To be honest the snake eating the rat upset me, purely as we used to keep rats as pets. I cant imagine them eating them but i know they do. Just totally amazing. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Impy our calci ate his pinky today. Our first ever go at feeding a snake. All went really well :)

01/09/13  04:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jacdore   In reference to Message Id: 2289213

I’m sorry the rat image upset you ...I raised my rats from babies and buried the Patriarch and Matriarch named Matildude and Wesson in the back yard in 2011 ...last year I had over 300 rats and was selling them to pet stores too. I built a 8 x 12 shed to house them and built the racks and went crazy...I also raise mice and rabbits

I still have a couple original blood lines going and 2 females that are sisters inside the house as pets. It’s sad when they only live 3-4 years.

01/09/13  11:42pm

Jacdore
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2289263

yes thats one of the reasons we went from rats and hammsters to keeping reptiles as they can have such short little lives. We’ve one rabbit and 1 guinea pig left of the smaller bubba’s, then its bearded dragons, leopard gecko’s, cats and rottweilers.

01/10/13  08:45am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area