Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ARENEPEZ   Sandboaking   ARENEPEZ   Sandboaking   ARENEPEZ   Sandboaking   ARENEPEZ   Newtcatcher   Sandboaking   KeepYourSky  

Member  Message

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

New to kings need help

hi im thinking about getting a Cali king the black and white striped one and wanted some info like how big they get and how fast on average do they grow also how big of a tank do they need when they are adults and how aggressive are they cause i hear they will musk you and can be aggressive feeders also i hear they can be picky eaters any info at all would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Amanda

12/31/12  04:20am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288576

New to kings need help

I’ve gotta say kings are like colubrids on steroids! Lol They’re awesome eaters and when they’re tame, they can make awesome pets. Calis are probably the best, maybe next to some of the arizonas and thayeris. Babies can be nippy and occasionally musky, but they usually calm down quick. I’d say calis probably max out between 4-5 feet. They really aren’t climbers either. Just in case, if you see the really cheap florida or brooks kings, you might wanna avoid them. I have a bunch, and they’re the muskiest, nippiest kings. I only handle one of them because of it. They also seem to love dumping in their bowls. Sorry, but I think you should be aware. Lol If you get a cali, check out lav albinos and bananas.

01/02/13  04:41pm

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2288708

New to kings need help

thanks for the information im buying a black and white ringed king for $80 its a baby hopefully it won’t take long to tame it down i say it cause the sex is unknown but sexing isn’t important to me because im only getting it as a pet not a future breeder im not interested in that lol thanks again

01/02/13  10:05pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288736

New to kings need help

Did I read that price correctly? That’s just nuts! You can get babies from the bhb website for $30. I’d never pay that, but that’s just my opinion. Good luck whatever way you go

01/02/13  10:07pm

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2288738

New to kings need help

well im going to assume if one was to get a snake from bhb one would have to order from them and have it shipped and when one does that you don’t get to hold it or pick the one you want and check for temperament so i don’t like that and the above price is Petsmart price i don’t have a choice but to buy from a pet store because i don’t have any reptile expos near me the closest one is five hundred miles away and not worth the price of gas to go there for a snake it would cost more that way but thanks for the information
Amanda

01/02/13  11:03pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288747

New to kings need help

Your petsmart really sounds like a terrible place. I think I’d try to avoid it. Have you ever checked craigslist? I’ve found some great deals there.

01/03/13  04:31pm

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2288793

New to kings need help

no my Craigslist sucks i can’t even get an account with them which also sucks by the way what do you know about speckled king snakes i know how big they get but not much else

01/04/13  09:29pm

Newtcatcher
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288893

New to kings need help

I got my Cali from Petsmart he is in great health they didnt know how to sex him but they take good care of their animals i dont suggjest buying on craiglist. A Cali king is a great pet i love mine they can be nippy but then calm down quick. I would definetly get one for a starter

01/08/13  01:46pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Newtcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 2289124

New to kings need help

I’ve heard specks are a little harder to get, but I think they’d probably be pretty much like any other king.

01/11/13  09:13pm

KeepYourSky
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288576

New to kings need help

Hey,
I own two kings. I’ve got my first king from a petsmart and while it was not ideal if the snake is young kings are generally hardy enough that there’s no long term issues.

How fast they grow depends on how much you feed them, typically they hit full size within 2 years, sometimes longer.

I use a 30 gallon for my eldest king, my youngest is in a 10 but I recently purchased a 40 to move him into next year. A 20L is about the minimum for an adult, bigger is always better, they need exercise so if you don’t handle them or let them out much, a bigger cage would be nice. Aim for the biggest you can afford over 20L, a 40 will absolutely be enough.

Kings are generally not very aggressive. They do musk more than corns, but neither of mine have ever bitten me.

They ARE relatively aggressive feeders. East coast kings (Easterns, Floridas, Apalachicola Lowlands/Goini/Goins, Brooksi, etc) are downright mental, Western Kings (Cals, MBKs, MT kings) are more aggressive than corns, but much calmer. This is a GOOD thing. My eldest has missed 3 meals in her life, 2 of which she was deep in blue, my youngest has never missed a feeding. They aren’t picky eaters, once they’re hungry they’ll down whatever you put in front of them.

Kings are a great choice of snake! I wish you luck in picking one.

04/18/13  12:43pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area