Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nikkibrim   Cphill58   Nikkibrim   Cphill58   Nikkibrim   Cphill58   Valentinas Daddy   Philosopher   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Nikkibrim
View Profile

5 month MBK not eating since he shed

my new MBK has decided that he doesn’t want to eat, he smells the pinkie, rolls all over it and tries his hardest to get out of feeding tub, when i take the lid off after 20 mins he literally launches himself out of it. he last fed 16 days ago, he has 1ost a gram in weight but he is lively, drinking so am i worrying too much?

11/05/12  05:59pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Nikkibrim   In reference to Message Id: 2284731

Sounds like a young , small snake...i know with my baby corns they don’t want to eat once removed and placed in a separate container ....all they want to do is roam and get out/ go places. I place a piece of cardboard cut to fit the tank 1/2 of the length to cover the bottom...place the pinkie inside on the cardboard and let them find it on their own...an hour or more later I check on them and the pinkie is gone.

If that doesn’t work I place a dark towel over a small tupperware with air holes drilled in the lid so they are in close proximity to the pinkie and can’t see out. That usually stops their desire to try and roam and pay more attention to the food item.

Once in awhile the snake will not eat that week and I try again the next week.

Now they are 3 months old and eating on schedule like little pigs ...sometimes eating 3 pinkies at one sitting...some are eating rat pinkies already. Only 1 or 2 babies are requiring to be isolated with their food as I mentioned above...the others eat in a separate small tub readily. If one gets fidgety I will isolate him alone.

11/07/12  12:06pm

Nikkibrim
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2284877

Thankyou for replying. i am going to try again this weekend, i have got a small box that i will put in his faunarium, put the pinkie in and see how he goes. He is such a gorgeous little thing and i hoped he would feed as easily as my daughters corn snake, but hey ho, they are all different. I will keep you posted.

11/08/12  02:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Nikkibrim   In reference to Message Id: 2284945

I also wanted to say I use tongs so they don’t confuse me with the food item...and I do dangle it in their face ...most will readily take the offering from the tongs ....I defrost with hot tap water ...blot dry quickly and offer as warm as possible. Yes in 10 seconds or so I am sure it is cool ...but I find success to be greater if it resembles a live warm body ... don’t over do it , don’t cook the pinkie ...lol

Most Kings are voracious and wonderful eaters...I trust he will come round shortly and become a monster that delights in eating all the time..

Looking forward to your updates.

11/09/12  06:46am

Nikkibrim
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2284992

I am soooo happy, Alejandro has eaten for the first time in 3 weeks!!!!
I decided to try rubbing the pinkie in some tuna juice, especially as he showed alot of interest when my daughter opened the tin of tuna (so did the dog and cat)
It was mad, i was holding him in my hand, he had his tail wrapped around my finger and he took the pinkie no problem, then he had another, then pooped. He is very clumsy when he strikes, i think that is what has put him off eating, but he is doing ok..........i am very relieved...........thankyou for your suggestions

11/09/12  12:59pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Nikkibrim   In reference to Message Id: 2285015

that’s exciting ...very good news

Congrats..
Cheers

11/12/12  04:32am

Valentinas Daddy
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2285190

When our San Luis Potiso doesn’t want to eat I will put him in a paper bag with the pinkie and tighten the bag down to allow little room for movement, I have done this with a live pinkie. We decided yesterday to try and switch to frozen pinkies, I thawed the pinkie and used the tuna juice, put them both in a small box and in about 10 minutes I checked and he had already eaten the pinkie.

01/03/13  02:19pm

Philosopher
View Profile

Message To: Valentinas Daddy   In reference to Message Id: 2288776

did your pet vendor tell you whether your snake was an established feeder? always make sure they are before you pay for them if you buy at a store. Also most non shady online vendors will give this info with joy. Know who you are dealing with do research there are a lot of shady folks out there be careful ok.

11/12/15  08:16pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Philosopher   In reference to Message Id: 2315691

Philosopher ...you are funny man...
These threads you are digging up from the grave are from 2013...LMAO

03/07/16  07:39am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area