King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bcks   Cphill58   Peter54   Sandboaking   Peter54  

Member  Message

Bcks
View Profile

Older king feeding

I have a cali that is about 9 or 10 yrs old,my question is about how often should he want to eat? I have been giving him/her a large mouse or a baby rat once a month. the reason I have been doing it this way is because most of the time he spends under his bedding,when he comes out he comes over to the glass door and makes you know he is there by going up the front. I have been doing it this way for over 2 yrs.

08/02/12  01:52pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bcks   In reference to Message Id: 2275330

Older king feeding

MY 2-3 YEARS OLDS EAT SMALL RATS EVERY 10-15 DAYS. Post a picture and lets see what your snake looks like.

I am surprised it doesn’t demand more. I would never feed only 1x per month ...that is pretty slim pickin’s My bull snake will eat 3 rats ...or 2 baby rabbits with fuzzy hair.
My Cali that is 2 will eat a small rat easily. baby rats are all pink and no fur / bone ( barely) and that means a lack of calcium...all fat and no protein

Bring the snake out and place it in a clean plastic tub / tank and feed it more often...it might surprise you and eat more.

If he is 9-10 he should be quite long 4-5 feet and as thick as a garden hose at least if not more.

08/03/12  05:33am

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Bcks   In reference to Message Id: 2275330

Older king feeding

Once a month seems way to little for any colubrid snake. I have a 12 y o sinaloan male and he is fed 2 or 3 times every month except for December and January when I keep him at lower temp.

08/04/12  05:59am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2275592

Older king feeding

Are you sure it’s a king? Lol! My pigs eat weekly, and they’d probably eat more often.

08/04/12  11:47pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2275657

Older king feeding

It’s a sinaloan milksnake on my pic of course, but even though this species with all the 25 subspecies is not called kingsnake (except for the scarlet king), the milksnake is still one of 9 species within the kingsnake family.

I only chose the sinaloan male because he’s the oldest and largest Lampropeltis I’ve got, but if you think it’s wrong to post a milksnake pic in this forum, I can post another pic showing another species carrying the word "king" in its name.

male graybanded kingsnake

08/09/12  01:59pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area