Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fable   Apalazzo   Fable   Apalazzo   Fable   Apalazzo   Fable   Apalazzo   Fable   Apalazzo   Peter54   Apalazzo   Jackii   Fable   Peter54   Apalazzo   Peter54   Apalazzo   Peter54   Snakester01   Snakester01   Apalazzo   Peter54   Snakester01   Fable   Snakebuz   RossCA   Apalazzo   RossCA   Sparky2241  
Pages 1

Member  Message

Fable
View Profile

Baby cali king taming!

My new baby cali king, so far has been great. I got him on Monday, called him Fable. The first time I put my hand in to pick him up, he did strike once, and he did musk, rattled his tale and that, but he was fine.
now, 4 days later, i can put my hand in and pick him up without him striking at me, or doing any of the above. I do shuffle his aspen about a bit so he is moving or more not curled up in the corner when a pick him up. can i do that or not? i don’t want to pick him up when he is curled in the corner because he will feel threatened. he is 5 months old or so, he was born early feb this year.

07/20/12  11:05am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274028

Baby cali king taming!

Nice looking Stripe Cali I love my stripe cali. She was severely territorial of her tank when I got her and would be strike past my hand when I went to take her out after feeding. Now after a few months she’s the most mellow snake I have other then my Snow corn. You don’t want to scare your little guy moving the aspen can go either way depending on the snake. If I do that to my Mexican Black or my Milk snake they will strike at me. If I just put my hand in there and touch their sides away from their heads that usually makes them move and their fine to handle. Just make sure when you uncover them you scare them since their not expecting it. I find with all my snakes if I uncover them to let them sit a min or so till they see whats going on then I take them out and haven’t had an issue. Well here’s a pic of my girl when I got her a few months ago she is almost 2 years old now.

07/20/12  08:32pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2274079

Baby cali king taming!

I have only had him since Monday and already he is coming to me and slithering on to my hand!

07/22/12  12:11pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274251

Baby cali king taming!

Thats awesome. Mine is to the point now where it knows when the lids of it’s tank and will come climbing out once the lids off. I’m also supper anxious to she what our new Albino Cali is going to look like when it’s full grown. It’s only 14 inches long now but white as white can be with pink on the head and pink dashes down it’s body.

07/22/12  03:49pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2274277

Baby cali king taming!

Fable has been great all week, but yesterday, I went to pick him up and he struck at me, he was hissing and everything. He was due a feed because the last time I fed him was the Monday before. He was not overdue, but he is still on pinkies and 13 or so inches long. I thought he was just hungry so I fed him not long after I eventually got him out of his tank. He ate 2 pinkies so I am moving him on to fluffs. Is there any other reason he could have been striking at me?

07/24/12  10:07am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274436

Baby cali king taming!

For 13 inches long he should eat twice a week then as you go to larger items cut down to once a week. When I first got my stripe cali king she ate a full size mouse but then I had to leave her sit for a minimum of 20 mins or she would strike at me. The first week after getting her on the 7th day which was feeding day she would rattle her tail, hiss and strike at me. So when I did get her out I feed her 2 hoopers instead and had to wait the 20 mins. Then the end of the second week I feed her on day 6 instead of day 7 she was still a little protective of her tank but I was able to get her out with little to no difficulty feed her a small mouse let her sit this time after 10 mins she was ready to come out with no issues. Now after having her for a few months I can take her out when ever with no problem even if it’s feeding day. I still let her sit in the feeding tank till she’s ready to come out I know when she’s ready since she’ll put her head up and over the edge like ok I’m ready to get out now.

Over time with more handling she will mellow out and not be so nippy. It’s very possible he/she wasn’t eating good before you him or her and the strike was nothing more then a hunger strike. When you handle your snake just make sure the day off feeding that your hands don’t smell like it’s food, and try not to handle much other than to take out and fed and put back. The less handling on feeding days will help so the snake doesn’t put the regular handling and feeding handling together and think mmm food every time their handled. I recently got an albino cali king the day we picked him up he bit everyone who tried to hold him. got him home feed him he ate and after eating was able to handle with no issue. Just feed him last night again he was rattling his tail when I went to take him out but once out of his tank was fine. But then after feeding he was challenging me. He would rattle his tail and strike at the side of the feeding bin. Once I was able to grab him even with his tail rattling he mellowed right out like he gave up and said ok you got me now what. Over time you will learn the personality of your snake and some tricks you might need to do in order to get the snake out of either tank. But the key is more handling so the snake learns your not there to harm it. But, less handling on feeding days. Also remember if it bites you don’t put him down. If you do he thinks he can get away with it and will keep biting. If he bites you and locks on don’t pull him off you I find pouring water on it’s head works really well to get them to release. Also at 13 or so inches long their bites don’t hurt it’s the shock of them biting you that gets ya. I’ve been bitten by sand boas 7 times on my finger same spot didn’t start to hurt till after the 4th strike in the same area, my milk snake he’s around 14 inches or so his bit don’t hurt much but this little guy can break skin, my 17 inch corn snake twice in the store when i got him only feels like a light pinch not even enough to break the first layer of skin.

Well hope this helps you and good luck with you king snake.

07/24/12  04:26pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2274470

Baby cali king taming!

Fable has bitten me somewhere between 5 and 10 times, all of which happened on the first and second days of him being handled. The bites don’t bother me. I have been bitten by an adult Cali king and that stung only a little. I think you may be right and he is not fed enough. he is not under weight or anything like that, but maybe, until the fluffs arrive keep feeding hi on 2 pinkies every 5 days. once the fluffs arrive I will feed him every 6 or 7 days. He seems to be digesting his food really quickly, 24 to 30hours and he has completely finished digesting.

I have been thinking of getting another snake, bearing in mind I have had experience with corns and kings I would like to look into getting a rainbow boa, or a Texas rat snake.

07/25/12  11:06am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274555

Baby cali king taming!

Rainbow boas are nice but are very high maintenance. They need good temps that range accordingly and high humidity and a large enclosure dry spots ect. I was thinking of getting one but after reading on what they need to live I don’t think I’ll be able to maintain it all along with caring for the other 14 snakes. Yet alone have the room for the proper enclosure once it’s full grown. I’m not familiar with the Texas Rat snake so I can’t really comment on that one. Just make sure you do all your research and read up on what ever you plan on getting. Happy huntings.

I’d say if he’s digesting the food that quick then more then likely it’s hunger strikes he’s doing. All my snakes range in full digestion from 2 days up to 5 days depending on the snake and it’s size along with the size of food it’s digesting. But sometimes I can’t tell right away since some of my snakes hide their poop under their bedding so after 3 days I usually go looking for it if I don’t see any. Good luck with your snake.

07/25/12  01:47pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2274560

Baby cali king taming!

I have just ordered a baby pure bred hog island boa! for near enough £180 I can get a complete starter kit that will do until it is around 2 years old!!

07/27/12  09:39am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274685

Baby cali king taming!

Nice I held a Rhode Island hog nose at my company picnic. I loved that snake. So 180 L that mean your from England? That’s the only place I know of where the money is called that. If I remember the conversion right that is a nice price in american money. Last I knew which was years ago 20 or 25 L was like 10 dollars american money. So my guess is some where between 70-90 dollars but I’m not sure what the currency change rate is now days thats what it was 10 years ago when I order some things off ebay from England. Good luck with your new snake. Hog nose are such nice snakes. It’s always nice to get something that will hold and care for the snake for awhile I know I have some tanks that will need to be upgraded but not for awhile yet.

07/28/12  02:44am

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274028

Baby cali king taming!

You cannot tame a snake, you can only get it to accept being handled. Juveniles should be handled very carefully since they fear every moving thing and for good reasons. Small snakes are eaten by almost any small predator, such as frogs, thrushes, rats and so on.

I choose not to handle my juveniles at all if not absolutely necessary, and if I have to handle them, I try to get them to climb into my hand by themselves instead of me grabbing them.

Every snake has it´s own unique caracteristic behavior, some will never stop striking and musking, but most stop doing that with age. I don’t handle my kings and milks very often, not more than maybe 5-10 times a year and in my current collection of 15 individuals, none is hard to handle. Two of them are nervous at first, but calm down quickly. The others are very easy going.

My personal opinion is that handling snakes very often, make them more nervous than they would be if handled less often. Some kingsnakes will be bad tempered from start to finish, that’s their nature, but most will calm down with age. The key word is not how often you handle a snake, but how you handle it.

08/04/12  06:31am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2275594

Baby cali king taming!

Nice looking king you have there I so agreed with you last sentence"The key word is not how often you handle a snake, but how you handle it. " I have found that leaving my milk snake alone and handling it less has been better then trying to hold it all the time. Granted he/she is only 7-12 months old but I do find only once to twice a month handling is working better then weekly handling. Minus the weekly grab to feed it. I am able to hold my milk now for 20 mins with no issue. But I leave it alone and only try handling once a month. Before When I first got it I was able to hold it then it wanted nothing to do with me would musk strike you name it. So for this snake less handling is working great. But for the other 14 in my collection if I dont handle regularly they do get pissy next time I take them out and thats for my corns and kings. SO far no issues handling the ball pythons. Also I try not to handle during shed cycle but I still offer them food so I have to handle them to put them in their feeding tank. Also like you said each snake has it’s own personality which you will learn over time of course.

08/06/12  01:03am

Jackii
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2275748

Baby cali king taming!

My Cali King is fine. I usually pick her up when she’s curled up, when she’s out from hiding she hisses and rattles her tail and "tags" me occasionally. (Tag meaning hitting me with her face, not biting) She was born in December, but I’ll have to ask what year, because she’s already 2 feet long. She’s a VERY mellow snake. Usually only striking at me when she’s shedding.

08/07/12  08:17pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Jackii   In reference to Message Id: 2275965

Baby cali king taming!

Ok, I have a problem. My baby king snake who is about 6 months old, was ready to shed, his eyes were blue, he looked very matted. that was all cool, I left him alone, he wasn’t even grumpy. the next morning I have a look in his tank and he has shed, his eyes were clear and he was lovely and shiny; his shed was nowhere to be seen. I left him until the next day and then took him and out and searched everywhere in his tank, but there just was NO shed. I think that maybe since king snakes are cannibalistic that he ate his own shed. Has this happened with any one else’s king snake, will it do him any harm?????? Maybe he was hungry, because I never feed snakes when they are shedding.

08/10/12  11:47am

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2276356

Baby cali king taming!

Your kingsnake has not shed yet. Colors and eyes always clears up a couple of days before shed. Just wait and see. Snakes never eat their shed.

08/10/12  05:59pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2276402

Baby cali king taming!

My calis do the same thing and my corns they will look like they have shed but won’t shed till a few days after they clear up. Also some snakes will eat there shed. I have caught my milk snake eating his shed once. I woke up went to check if he and a few others had shed yet and there he was eating his shed it was almost all gone by the time I caught him in the act. But yes snakes can sometimes eat their shed usual very rare but they can. I also attempt to feed my snakes even in shed and for the most part have almost always ate. Only few occasions they did refuse food but mostly they always eat.

08/11/12  02:51am

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2276446

Baby cali king taming!

Please give a verified example on snake eating shed. I’ve kept snakes for half a century and I have never ever heard of that before, and frankly I do not beleive it.

08/11/12  07:04am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2276449

Baby cali king taming!

Cali kings have been known to eat there own skins. Here’s a web site that even states it. http://www.sacsplash.org/reptiles/california-kingsnake It’s under ecology. I know your probably going to say that some one just made this site up but it is possible for snakes to eat their own shed. Like I said before it is rare but it does happen. Just because in your 50 years of snake care you haven’t seen it happen with your snakes does not mean it doesn’t happen. Hince to why it’s rare no one here is saying it happens all the time but it does happen.

I love how your calling me a liar for something I seen happen but since you never seen it happen or heard of it I must be lieing. Do research online and you will hear about it happening. Also who’s to say it doesn’t happen with wild snakes food is more scares to come by in the wild then being fed on a regular basis.

The fact is you can’t prove it doesn’t happen and since I didn’t take a picture of my snake I don’t have solid proof it does happen. All I have are articles, peoples stories, and what I saw saying how it can happen.

08/12/12  04:38pm

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2276578

Baby cali king taming!

I didn’t call you a liar, I just said that I don’t beleive that snakes eat their shed. Maybe you don’t feel that there is a difference, but I do. I did not get that you had seen it happen, if I had I would not have said it like that.

Even if this does happen, I still wonder why. The shed consists of almost pure ceratine and most predators are not able to digest that, wich suggests that they get no nutrition from it. Mammals get rid of ceratine from hair and nails thru their droppings, owls regurgitate it.

Another interesting question comes to my mind - when the shed is wet it is rather sticky and can be hard to remove if it dries on a flat surface such as glass or plastic. Why does it not get stuck in the esophagus I wonder?

08/13/12  04:15pm

Snakester01
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2276654

Baby cali king taming!

I took it as you calling him a liar as well. He stated in his response, that you were replying to, that he "caught him in the act"...that means he saw him eating it. I also have read many an article on the net about this...while quite uncommon, it can and does happen.

08/14/12  01:37am

Snakester01
View Profile

Baby cali king taming!

Also I forgot to add that I have never had a snake shed (wet or dry) that stuck to anything in their tanks or bins (aside from sticking to itself)...this includes but is not limited to the glass, plastic, wood, hides etc.

08/14/12  01:43am

Apalazzo
View Profile

Baby cali king taming!

So in my message where I said

Quote:

I woke up went to check if he and a few others had shed yet and there he was eating his shed it was almost all gone by the time I caught him in the act.

but you didn’t get that I had seen it happen till after you hard replied to that message. So maybe before you reply to some ones message you should read all that they write. Your reply to my message was

Quote:

Please give a verified example on snake eating shed. I’ve kept snakes for half a century and I have never ever heard of that before, and frankly I do not beleive it.

So if any one is going to call anyone a "liar" (aka read between the lines for what you really wanted to say) it should be me calling you one as you stated

Quote:

I’ve kept snakes for half a century

which equals 50years since a century is a 100 years yet in your profile on here it says you have 30 years experience 20 years different then what you wanted me to believe. No one knows why they snakes eat their shed but as I stated before, "it’s rare but does happen"

As far as the shed being sticky it’s not as sticky as you make it sound. I have held a fresh shed it was wet but not sticky. As everyone knows you put wet paper on a counter it dries out all the way almost impossible to remove. Fresh sheds are wet which makes then stick to the glass. I have yet to have a problem removing a shed from my tanks. Snake shed is as sticky as peeling your own sunburn off. Shed is wet and wet thing will stick to dry surfaces specially when left to dry on them, but when removed on a timely manor after shed they come right off.

08/14/12  01:49am

Peter54
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2276707

Baby cali king taming!

I already said I’m sorry about missing out on the part in your post describing that you actually have seen it happen.

As for my experience keeping snakes, I started out with native species when I was 6 or 7 years old. The 30 years of experience stated in my profile is (or was when I registred) how long I’ve kept snakes from other parts of the world, e. g. captive snakes instead of wild ones.

08/14/12  11:56am

Snakester01
View Profile

Baby cali king taming!

Quote:

I didn’t call you a liar, I just said that I don’t beleive that snakes eat their shed. Maybe you don’t feel that there is a difference, but I do. I did not get that you had seen it happen, if I had I would not have said it like that.

Guess I missed the "I’m sorry"?

08/14/12  02:00pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2274079

Baby cali king taming!

My king has a smiley face on his wee head, he ’s now 9 months old and bordering on 2 ft long and as thick as a big marker pen

11/15/12  11:47am

Snakebuz
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2285445

Baby cali king taming!

Fable, you never said whether the snake shed a few days later as Peter suggested it would. By now I’m sure you realize the snake clears to a point and then sheds a few days later. If the shed is peeled off during the "blue" phase, it can create a scar on the underlying tissues. The scar will usually work out after a few succeeding sheds unless it was ripped off during the first days of bluing. I have seen it leave a permanent scar, as in the case of a kingsnake attack or a escape attempt. I am pretty sure Peter meant no offense, He is fairly good with his english, but a lot of things we say his "oxford" style english doesn’t let him pick out of the "slang" conversation. To my knowledge, Peter has never said a disparaging word to anyone on here, even when treated pretty roughly by other posters. He isn’t a "flamer". I hope you have all the luck in the world with your baby. SSSSsssnakebuz

11/28/12  03:55pm

RossCA
View Profile

Message To: Peter54   In reference to Message Id: 2275594

Baby cali king taming!

Peter54, that is an awesome looking king. Could I put it on my website "Southern California Kingsnaks" ? If so please send your name and that picture to padillaross13 (at) yahoo dot com

11/29/12  01:02pm

Apalazzo
View Profile

Message To: RossCA   In reference to Message Id: 2286650

Baby cali king taming!

Nice site you have there just took a glance at it and in you slide type feature you have a stripe that looks alot like mine. I love king snakes got an Mexican Black king snake, Albino Cali king, Hypo Brooks King, and of course the Stripe Cali king. Stripe is the biggest at a little over 3 ft. MBK is just over 2ft albino is pushing close to 2 ft and my 1 yr old hypo sad to say is maybe 14in do to neglect from the place I got him from. I know its neglect cuz I got my MBK when I first seen him and my MBK was a limp noodle and smaller then the hypo now my MBK is twice the size of the hypo.

shes is more of a dark chocolate brown minus the black on the head. But depending on light reflection she looks black.

11/29/12  08:01pm

RossCA
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2286690

Baby cali king taming!

Thanks, Apalazzo. Nice king. I’m sure your others will pass it before you know it. Brooks and MBK’s get pretty big.

12/11/12  05:58pm

Sparky2241
View Profile

Message To: Apalazzo   In reference to Message Id: 2274470

Baby cali king taming!

I have a 4month old albino Cali. He has been abused and neglected and stiles me every time I try and handle him, I don’t know what to do about it and I’m afraid he will strike one of my family members in the house what do I do? He is only about 12 in. I fed him yesterday because the person who had him didn’t feed him in a week and even today after feeding he struck me any suggestions?

10/07/16  03:06pm

Pages 1

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area