King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jerr85   Scroller_rb   Jerr85   Fable   Scroller_rb   Lampro  

Member  Message

Jerr85
View Profile

Baby cali king in large enclosure?

Christmas time i bought the gf an aberant king. Right now its in a 10 gallon tank. I built a new one thats 36x24x24, would it be stressful on the snake to put it in there already? I gave it 2 weeks to air out, cant smell any fumes

01/27/12  06:26pm

Scroller_rb
View Profile

Message To: Jerr85   In reference to Message Id: 2253014

When I bought "Ruby", she was only 5 weeks old. I put her in a twenty gallon reptile encloser. it was hugh compared to her small size. Just put an extra hiding place for it to hide in and some extra bedding. It will be fine. When I first got her, Ruby would only come out at night to prowl around her tank. We would go several days at a time without seeing her because she was hiding. She is now three years old and 54" long. The bigger encloser will be ok once it gets used to it, and you dont have to get a different encloser later...

01/27/12  08:44pm

Jerr85
View Profile

Message To: Scroller_rb   In reference to Message Id: 2253030

Awesome, thanks for the info!

01/27/12  09:31pm

Fable
View Profile

Message To: Jerr85   In reference to Message Id: 2253036

if you put a small snake in a large enclosure then it will generally stress them out and make them feel insecure. Snakes like to have lots of small, warm and dark places to curl up. your snake will feel safer and it will probably even become calmer in a smaller enclosure.

07/20/12  10:28am

Scroller_rb
View Profile

Message To: Fable   In reference to Message Id: 2274025

As long as they have a few places to hide that makes them feel safe, they are fine in larger enclosers... Put one or two hides in the cool side and one or two in the warm side of the encloser and it will be ok... Snakes dont have large or small enclosers in the wild. They just have places to hide...

07/21/12  03:18pm

Lampro
View Profile

Message To: Scroller_rb   In reference to Message Id: 2274160

Agreed, I’ve started hatchlings in tanks as large as 50 gallons with no problems. Given enough hiding spots they do better in larger enclosures because you can give them a greater temperature gradient to thermal-regulate in. I’ve never seen the point in buying several different size enclosures for the same growing snake when buying a larger one they can spend the rest of their lives in from the get go is just as suitable, and cheaper in the long run. ;)

07/22/12  12:25am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area