Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Darkfrog06   Darkfrog06   Cphill58   Darkfrog06   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Amandaf  

Member  Message

Darkfrog06
View Profile

Vomited up Mouse

My king just vomited up her mouse. I have no idea why. Nothing has changed. Temps are the same in her cage and it was the normal size mouse I always feed her. She vomited about an hour after I fed her. Should I take her to the vet? Or can I hold out and see how she is?

10/11/10  04:59pm

Darkfrog06
View Profile

Message To: Darkfrog06   In reference to Message Id: 2180356

Vomited up Mouse

Sorry, the correct term I should have used here was regurgitated not vomited since the mouse was obviously undigested.

10/11/10  05:01pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Darkfrog06   In reference to Message Id: 2180357

Vomited up Mouse

I have read that you should just wait until the snake recovers it’s digestive juices and feed as normal about 7-10 days from now. And a side note offer something smaller if you have the means next time. Often 2 smaller items will be easier than 1 larger.

Regurging is rather rare in my house and I have only read that it could be due to 3 or 4 things...
Too large an item (which I doubt ) but could be possible??
Too cold or hot ...
Too much handling after ...but I am sure that’s not the case..
If frozen thawed , how did you thaw it?...cooked or slightly cooked meat can not be digested by a snake. I made the mistake of simmering water one time and found that out ...lol
Also if it was frozen it could be tainted or freezer burned.....but again only you would know

Other than that it’s just a guess why ...make sure it has fresh water to drink so it doesn’t get dehydrated

Cp

10/11/10  08:24pm

Darkfrog06
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2180418

Vomited up Mouse

See I read all of that too. But, I fed her the same size mouse I always do, I never handle her after eating, and the temperature has stayed the same. That’s why I think it’s so odd that she did this. She’s never done this before and she’s 3 years old.
It was a frozen thawed mouse. I usually thaw them out in warm water. I guess it is possible that I slightly cooked it. It was pretty hot water. I didn’t think about that.
I will keep an eye on her and try and feed her again in a week. Thanks for your help.

10/11/10  10:11pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Darkfrog06   In reference to Message Id: 2180466

Vomited up Mouse

Well I have used hot tap water since I won’t do the stove trick any more....LOL....that was ugly ! The fur and skin came off the rat as the snake tried to eat it.

So with hot tap water running to fill up the bowl and then sitting for 15 minutes it does cool off. Then i try to get the rodent back up to 100F at least at the head so the snake thinks it is fresh...other than that I really can’t say why...

best of luck to you , I feel pretty confidant saying it is rather rare and I hope it doesn’t happen again.

Cp

10/11/10  11:47pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2180511

Vomited up Mouse

Chris, that is great information about being careful to not cook the mouse because the snake can’t digest cooked meat. That’s something people might not think of when trying to thaw out mice.

I thaw out large mice by putting the mouse in a baggie in a tub of hot but not boiling water (out of the tap) and weigh it down with a mug or other heavy object to keep it submerged. Usually it take about two changes of hot water to get an adult mouse thawed out.

10/12/10  09:06am

Amandaf
View Profile

Message To: Darkfrog06   In reference to Message Id: 2180356

Vomited up Mouse

Well there are a few things that I know of. One of course, is the temperature. If it is too cold they will regurgitate their last meal. They will also do this if they have been handled within 48 hours of eating. Past that, I have nothing. I have very little experience, and almost all of my knowledge comes from random caresheets I find online, so please take it with a grain of salt.

05/30/16  10:03am

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area