Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

King Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GunshotxRomance3   MGA   GunshotxRomance3   MGA   TheOne   GunshotxRomance3   Ang>   Jessigb  

Member  Message

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Question about aggressive behavior

My roommate got a baby california king snake back around September from the local petsmart. He started off being not being used to being held a lot and wasn’t very tame but then he calmed down a lot. But lately he’s started getting aggressive, he’ll strike at me/her, apparently he has nipped her a few times and lastnight when she tried to feed him he tried to bite her several times and after he ate he tried to bite her more so I helped her get him back into his enclosure. But today when I looked in his tank to make sure he had water and all and to fix his hide he struck at me (through the glass) and then he startled rattling his the tip of his tail against the bottom of his enclosure (kind of like the noise a rattlesnake would make). I own a ball python and a boa constrictor and neither of my snakes have ever done this, my boa used to strike a lot but has calmed down a lot since I got him. Does her cali just need to be handled a lot more and then he’ll stop being aggressive?
Thanks

02/19/10  10:09am

MGA
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2124759

Just about all baby snakes bite at everything they get close to but most will grow out of this with age and handling.
Kings Snake are aggressive eaters and will some times sample your fingers, especially hands that smell like a mouse, you got to wash you hands good after handling a mouse and other snakes as well, and you should never handle a snake right after it has eaten for at lest 24 hours !
Mark

02/20/10  11:02am

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: MGA   In reference to Message Id: 2125093

I know that baby snakes are usually nippy. Since I have two of my own and have been around others..and I know not to hold the snake after it ate..and to clear things up I did Not hold her snake when this happened I was simply moving it’s hide so it could actually go in it..I just thought it was strange how he went from being calm and not aggressive to all of a sudden being aggressive..thanks for the help..

02/20/10  11:38pm

MGA
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2125278

OK, think I understand a little better, I have seen snakes that were moved from a cage that had only a glass front to a fish tank that has four glass walls, seeing their own reflections for the first time and being very fearful it was another snake invader especially since their breed is cannibalistic.
Mark

02/21/10  09:41am

TheOne
View Profile

ive got a gopher snake and hes behaviour sounds exactly the same. it also has a obsession with attacking the glass but when i manage to get my hands on him hes as soft as puppy poo. a lot of youngsters have this issue due to the fact they feel small and intimidated. Put it this way havent you noticed how short people have a chip on there shoulder? LOL . he will grow out of it im sure (I hope mine does too!)

02/23/10  01:13pm

GunshotxRomance3
View Profile

Message To: TheOne   In reference to Message Id: 2126319

lol, okay thanks! I’ll tell her.

02/24/10  07:23pm

Ang>
View Profile

Message To: GunshotxRomance3   In reference to Message Id: 2126787

i think some kings can just be weird like that too...i have a 3 year old cali king and he goes through months at a time where he’s an absolute sweetheart, then there are a couple months in a row when he bites me every time (and hangs on, sometimes he’s got his teeth in me for an hour!). he’s really unpredictable and i don’t think anything i do will change his mood swings. his napoleon syndrome comes and goes, haha. best advise is regular handling, and to be prepared for nippy behavior. but since he’s young he might still calm down! good luck!

02/25/10  05:37pm

Jessigb
View Profile

My baby king is acting the same way. he was very sweet and docile then all of a sudden started nipping and shaking his tail. he gets plenty of handling so i don’t understand this behavior car

12/30/13  08:50pm

Back to King Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area