Insects Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Insects Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DanaJ   Reptilelover07   DanaJ   Rokdog   Reptophile  

Member  Message

DanaJ
View Profile

Mealworms?

I want to raise mealworms. They turn to beetles right? If they’re from the same litter (Which I have no idea if mine are from the same litter or whatever),will they mate?I need a big batch and don’t want to keep buying them. ???????

10/17/11  08:45am

Reptilelover07
View Profile

Message To: DanaJ   In reference to Message Id: 2240831

Mealworms?

What I did to start my mealworm farm was order 1000 mealworms. Put around 500 mealworms in the breeder container and the remaining mealworms in the feeder container. As long as they are all adult beetles it shouldn’t stop them from breeding. I feed mine apple slices (which they love) and carrots (which don’t mold quickly). Just be patient and you will have hundreds of little tiny babies. :)

10/28/11  08:41pm

DanaJ
View Profile

Message To: Reptilelover07   In reference to Message Id: 2242255

Mealworms?

You literally counted 500?Or estimated?Anyways,thanks.They need refridgeration right?

10/28/11  09:15pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: DanaJ   In reference to Message Id: 2242260

Mealworms?

if you are trying to breed them NO, they don’t need to be refrigerated
the ones you are using as feeders can be refrigerated if you like as it prevents them from pupating
and try not to get the dry feed substrate wet or you will be infested with grain mites
keep the dry stuff dry & apples, veggies & other fruit aa top of a paper towel or plastic lid so as not to contaminate your colony....
Ehow Mealworms

10/28/11  09:34pm

Reptophile
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2242264

Mealworms?

Feed them fruits and veggies and put about ten in each container wait for the mealworms to turn into beetles and then feed them the same way until they die but do not take out the dead beetles because the babies live inside the body until they are ready to come out.

11/18/12  02:17pm

Back to Insects Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area