Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects Forum

Leira   Asant0917   Leira   Asant0917   Leira   Joossa   Leira   John_jb   Leira   Happyturtleboy  
 Member  Message

Leira
View Profile

Accidental egg sack...

Well, this summer I found a praying mantis, and I kept it untill It died some time in near the fall. She left me with an egg sack. Right now, itís in my garage (somewhere...my parents are allways moving stuff around...) and I read online to expect it to hatch in the spring.
They are still in the cage were the mom laid them. The cage is made entirely out of mesh, and wood to keep it sturdy. Should I put the egg sack somewhere else? (Is the egg sack called an íoothecaí or something like that?)
Anyway, If it needs to go into a different enclousre to prepare for it to hatch, how should I move it? and If it ends up hatching, what do I feed the little ones?
Anyone who has any advice for me, itís appreciated!

01/31/07  05:33pm

Asant0917
View Profile

Message To: Leira   In reference to Message Id: 1155160

Accidental egg sack...

hi there!! as long as the mesh isnt too big then it is fine. figure if a large adult female mosquito can fit through, then it is too big, and expect them to hatch around early spring. feed them aphids, small meal worms, maggots, fruit flies and small stuff like that. also it is just called an egg sack. an oothica is what roach eggs are called.

01/31/07  08:58pm

Leira
View Profile

Message To: Asant0917   In reference to Message Id: 1155423

Accidental egg sack...

Oh, I could have sworn someone told me it was an ootheca. Anyway, thanks for the info.
I think the mesh is to big...so what should I put them in instead?

01/31/07  09:34pm

Asant0917
View Profile

Message To: Leira   In reference to Message Id: 1155491

Accidental egg sack...

hello again!! go to home depot or lowes. go back in the windows and doors section and ask for a role of fine mesh window screen. then make a frame for it. probably 3 ft. high 2 ft. long by 2 ft. wide. although, it is best to house them individually, you might want to make individual cages. to be honest, i saw a guy in columbus who had a rack with about 30 individual tubs where the tops were screen and it covered his whole wall.

02/01/07  09:36am

Leira
View Profile

Message To: Asant0917   In reference to Message Id: 1155938

Accidental egg sack...

Okay, I think Iím going to have some trouble gettim my mom to go to a hardwear store, especialy if it has something to do with the íscaryí bugs that are slowly maturing in an egg sack. But I think I might be able to get my dad to take me. Or mabey my brother if he gets his licence by springtime. I donít think he will, though.
But yeah, Iíll try it.

02/03/07  03:17pm

Joossa
View Profile

Message To: Leira   In reference to Message Id: 1159149

Accidental egg sack...

Here are some points:
-Was the female an adult when you caught her? If so then she probably mated before you caught her, which means the ootheca is fertile. If she molted once or more times after you caught her and she did not mate with an adault male as an adult then the ootheca is infertile and will not hatch.

-Start misting the enclosure. If you have NOT misted the enclosure where the ootheca is being held, then it probably already dried out, killing all the eggs.

-If you want the ootheca to hatch sooner, keep it inside at room temperature.

-The egg sac IS called an ootheca. Roaches and mantids are very closely related and therefore their egg sacs are both called oothecas.

-Onced hatched, you should feed the nymphs fruit flies.

-Do more research!!! It is a big responsibility to keep nymphs, it is also very difficult! Read more about your specific species or possible species...

Good luck!

02/11/07  03:49am

Leira
View Profile

Message To: Joossa   In reference to Message Id: 1168752

Accidental egg sack...

Oh no! I wish I had known more, I have not been misting the ootheca!
She was an adult when I found her, and she had not molted. But It has been so dry these past few...for a long time...so I think the eggs have dried out.
IF I keep another mantis next year, Iíll be much more wary. Thank you all, though.

02/11/07  01:46pm

John_jb
View Profile

Message To: Leira   In reference to Message Id: 1169132

Accidental egg sack...

i wouldnt quit now if i were you. keep misting because they might just make it.

02/11/07  02:22pm

Leira
View Profile

Message To: John_jb   In reference to Message Id: 1169185

Accidental egg sack...

I looked for the thing I had them in today, and I canít find it! There is so much junk in the garage! Iíll keep looking though.

02/14/07  07:15pm

Happyturtleboy
View Profile

Message To: Leira   In reference to Message Id: 1173600

Accidental egg sack...

you better find it soon. there can be 200 babies in one egg. and they go every were.

06/15/09  04:42pm

Back to Insects Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area