Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Uro1001   Uro1001   Ameivaboy   Marcus725   DragonPaw   Ameivaboy   Tinny   Ameivaboy  
 Member  Message

Uro1001
View Profile

Breeding mealies

how do breed mealies?

01/21/06  11:22pm

Uro1001
View Profile

Message To: Uro1001   In reference to Message Id: 615661

Breeding mealies

any one there?

01/28/06  09:22am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Uro1001   In reference to Message Id: 624527

Breeding mealies

itís the easiest thing, just takes time hereís how i did it
i bought two 500 packs of worms, dumped them in a plastic storage container (with air hole in the top) and filled it up with about 2.5" of dry oatmeal and flukers cricket feed
Then when i noticed the ones that had pupated i put them in a separate storage container with about .5" of oatmeal until they changed to beetles
The beetles are placed in a separate storage container with about 2.5" of oatmeal/cricket feed and thatís basically it throw in some sliced carrot twice a week and move the new pupua in to the pupua container and move the beetles into the beetle container took about 5-6 weeks before i noticed little tiny mealworms at which point i sift through the beetle container for about 10 mins a day transferring them back into the mealworm container ..........easy as that, now i have worms pupua and beetles to use as feeders, and more worms than i know what do with, luckily i work at a pet store and i can undercut the supplier they get their worms from and sell them to the pet store

02/02/06  12:45am

Marcus725
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 631605

Breeding mealies

how much contaners, in all do u have?
can i just put abunch in one container?
hows a buckt sound?
do the beatles lay eggs, or mealworms?
what do i do when they die?

Marcus

02/23/06  02:55pm

DragonPaw
View Profile

Message To: Marcus725   In reference to Message Id: 663724

Breeding mealies

Just one container is good, and yes, you can put a bunch in one container. I started with 1000 in a 2í by 1í container and theyíre doing just fine, so a bucket should be good. The beetles are the adults, so they lay eggs, the mealworms are just the baby stage. When they die, just remove the dead ones. Also, any stage makes a good treat for lizards: mealworms, pupas, and beetles. And make sure you put a sheet of paper like newspaper, (but I use napkins since they donít contain ink), that cover two thirds of the container and put that on top of the oatmeal. Spray the paper with water everyday:this is how the mealworms get water. You will see t he beetles swarm in to get a drink when you spray it.

03/17/06  10:28pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: DragonPaw   In reference to Message Id: 697534

Breeding mealies

i just throw in a few pieces of carrots or apple for moisture, i use 3 containers for each life stage, but im about to get a large plastic sweater box and add around 1,500 more worms so i have a constant supply of worms to sell

03/24/06  07:33pm

Tinny
View Profile

Message To: Ameivaboy   In reference to Message Id: 707428

Breeding mealies

do you need a heat lamp or just keep them at room temp? do you neeed a heat lamp at anystage? and if you do waht wattage should it be?

03/25/06  07:28pm

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Tinny   In reference to Message Id: 708948

Breeding mealies

no heat is really needed though in the cooler months some type of heat pad/tape can be used to prevent reproduction and maturity from slowing down do to the cooler temps

03/25/06  09:28pm

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area