Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum

GuCCi_GiRl 604   Nappyballer1   Roachey56   KrazyKelli  
 Member  Message

GuCCi_GiRl 604
View Profile

What do you feed mealy worms????

Ok, I just recently bought mealy worms for my gecko, and I was just told to pu tthem in the refregerator and thatís what Iíve done, but Iíve been thinking that I should have been feeding them all this time. SO, what in the world do I feed them?????????

08/18/05  11:04pm

Nappyballer1
View Profile

Message To: GuCCi_GiRl 604   In reference to Message Id: 446917

If u want them to last longer and not grow or eat u can store them in the fridge but like i said they wont eat, u need to keep them in a container maybe a small shoe box size and put like an inch or so of plain rolled oats dry baby cereal dry baby milk and some crushed kitten food (alot of Protein and stuff) they will eat and live in this u call this gut loading when u feed your bugs before your lizard eats them they are more nutritious this way. And u need to add slices of potatoes and carrots for moisture every 2 days or so..u can do this for like 2-3 days and then put them in the fridge once they have eattin alot of food

08/20/05  12:45pm

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: GuCCi_GiRl 604   In reference to Message Id: 446917

Oat/wheat bran or a commercial mealworm gutload along with a piece/s of fruit/vegetable.

08/23/05  10:25pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 453104

If you want to feed your mealies (aside from keeping them in the wheatbran dust they come with), then before putting them in the tank to be eaten, keep a few (for the feeding) in a small cup, returning the rest to the fridge. In the cup youíre free to put anything from oatmeal to branflakes (cereal) to dry cat or dog food to random fruit. Personally I like going for branflakes, oatmeal, and a slice of banana. After an hour to 12 hours of gutloading your selected mealies, put them in the tank to be eaten.

I really donít recommend leaving the mealies out of the fridge indefinately because give or take a week theyíll cocoonate and become darklings. Darklings, if you didnít know, are little black beatles that most lizards show no interest in.

08/29/05  12:33am

Back to Insects-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area